• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heat molded snowboard boots

jmurray23

After many years of uncomfortable feet and having to unstrap after a few runs because the top of my feet are in so much pain and numb toes,I'm finally realizing I have high arches in my feet and I probably need fully heat molded insole snowboard boots. Can anyone suggest specific boot that worked for them or suggestions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

The entire 32 boot line has intuition liners. K2 uses them in some of their mid level boots and up. They are fully moldable. You may alwo need some foot beds.

Cannonball

Ride also uses intuition lines. But your pain is way more likely coming from your bindings. Especially if it's the top of your feet. Try some bindings that put less pressure than the traditional strap bindings. Flow are probably the ultimate in comfort. K2 and others have also started copying some of Flow's design elements. Even toe cap styles make a big difference in foot comfort.

mbedle

Couple of things you should test out before purchasing a new pair of boots. Do the boots cause you any pain when not strapped into the bindings? Have you tried to loosen the straps a little bit? Unless you are a power house carver, they only need to fit snug. Only asking that because you mentioned numbness in your toes and pain on top of your foot. They are not typical issues related to high arches. You might also what to try some off the shelf orthotics to see if that helps.

jmurray23

Thanks for the input, the pain is generally only when I'm strapped into my bindings, I currently have gnu psych binding on a gnu impossible board with a pair of burton boots. I've always had the same issue even on my old burton board I had a pair of k2 bindings I forget what model exactly. Maybe I will try a new pair of bindings first since I'm not really a fan of the gnu style anyway

jmurray23

I do generally keep them tight because I like to ride through the trees and push myself generally pretty hard

Cannonball

I have gone through excruciating pain because I like everything very tight with no play. After switching to some newer binding styles the pain has gone away without loss of performance. I rode one of my old setups last spring (rock board) and could've believe the pain and the fact that I had kept doing that for so long.

dmw

I have gone through excruciating pain because I like everything very tight with no play. After switching to some newer binding styles the pain has gone away without loss of performance. I rode one of my old setups last spring (rock board) and could've believe the pain and the fact that I had kept doing that for so long.

Any specific binding recommendations? I've had similar issues and I'm in the market for new bindings.

Also regarding the original question, if one has Intuition liners but they've already been ridden a few years, I assume trying to heat mold now is useless- or would it still be worth doing?

Cannonball

Any specific binding recommendations? I've had similar issues and I'm in the market for new bindings.

Also regarding the original question, if one has Intuition liners but they've already been ridden a few years, I assume trying to heat mold now is useless- or would it still be worth doing?

Most comfortable are probably Flows (pick any model based on the price/performance point you like). But Flows are a love/hate design. I don't like them that much because I like to tweak adjustments constantly. Flows are more set-it-and-forget-it. I know a lot of people who love them for that reason. Never adjust, always a consistent fit, and really comfortable and warm as a result. Although their highest end models are now offering more adjustment (I haven't tried them).

K2 Cinch copy the rear-entry Flow design but also have an ankle ratchet strap that lets you fine-tune. They'd be even better if they had a toe-cap in the front. Nidecker Back-in bindings covered all of these bases (rear-entry, semi-adjustable ankle, and toe-cap). They were a lower-end binding but I think they were the best at finding the line between adjustable and comfortable. I think they aren't made anymore, but can maybe be found online.

Burton (or other) toe-cap models with heavily padded ankle strap. The toe cap (vs strap) keeps your foot much more solidly in the binding. This means you don't end up cranking and cranking on the straps to get a solid fit. No cranking = no pain.

C-Rex

Also, before you spend any money, try playing with the setup of your binding straps. On most bindings, you can adjust the mounting position of the ankle strap. Make sure it's up on your ankle and pulling your foot more BACK into the heel cup instead of down on the top of your foot and putting pressure on your arch. Also try adjusting your highbacks for more forward lean. It will feel weird at first but you'll get more response out of your bindings without needing to crank them down so tight.

Hawkshot99

Most comfortable are probably Flows (pick any model based on the price/performance point you like). But Flows are a love/hate design. I don't like them that much because I like to tweak adjustments constantly. Flows are more set-it-and-forget-it. I know a lot of people who love them for that reason. Never adjust, always a consistent fit, and really comfortable and warm as a result. Although their highest end models are now offering more adjustment (I haven't tried them).

K2 Cinch copy the rear-entry Flow design but also have an ankle ratchet strap that lets you fine-tune. They'd be even better if they had a toe-cap in the front.

The nice part on the Cinch is that when the high back is dropped down, the ankle and toe straps rise up about 2 cm's, allowing the boot to slide into the binding much easier. When the high back is closed the straps drop down tight on the foot securing you in. On the flows, only the high back moves. It folds down, and then you need to slam your foot into the binding if you have the strap system tightened down snugly. This means the Cinch ways more as it has more moving parts, but I find them to much more comfortable, and less need to mess with them.

Burton (or other) toe-cap models with heavily padded ankle strap. The toe cap (vs strap) keeps your foot much more solidly in the binding. This means you don't end up cranking and cranking on the straps to get a solid fit. No cranking = no pain.

The Burton's are probably the most popular bindings out there. The custom and higher have very nice and soft ankle straps, and the toe caps are the best I have seen. It is a solid piece that raps around the toe of your boot, rather than just a wider strap with a hole in the middle for you toe to sit in the center of.

dmw

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with a good set of Burtons. I was at a shop the other day that was pushing Union pretty hard - any thoughts? Didn't look to have the level of cushion and absorption the Burtons had.

jmurray23

I'm gonna look into the bindings issue at a few shops by me and let you guys know what I find out

Hawkshot99

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with a good set of Burtons. I was at a shop the other day that was pushing Union pretty hard - any thoughts? Didn't look to have the level of cushion and absorption the Burtons had.

Union is growing very strong. Both of my main boarding buds switched to them for last year and were very happy with them. They both wear the Flite Pro I believe. They are lite, and strong.

jmurray23

After wearing my old boots around for an hour I found the boots are definitely an issue. Spent some time at a ski shop trying new boots and got a pair of dc kush. Right from the get go they are way better than my old burton hail. I am going to killington on Friday to test them out. The 2014-15 season begins!!!

octopus

Burton malavitas are nice and comfy. I've tried a few pairs of union bindings and have been unimpressed.

jmurray23

Got my first runs in of the season at killington this weekend on my new dc boa boots and my issues have been resolved!! No more hurting feet

C-Rex

I had the same problem with the Hails. I liked the flex but the trade off is that you need strong foot muscles to deal with the lack of support. Mine only stopped hurting after several days of riding to condition my feet and lower legs. I recently switched to a pair of stiffer Vans BOA boots and it made a world of difference.