• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heavy Wind and Below Zero Temps - Credit Back at Stratton?

kevinm55

I am an IKON pass holder that has organized a group trip to Stratton this Friday and Saturday (unfortunately now due to weather). I will have multiple non pass holder families on the trip who have bought overpriced “window/website” lift tix. Needless to say, with high winds Friday and temps at or below zero also on Saturday, I anticipate that many may ask about obtaining a credit for future use at Stratton (not a refund) and would be curious to hear thoughts regarding that possibility.

I am asking for feedback based only on the reality of current Stratton operations and business model in the IKON era. My question also presumes gondola not running due to wind. Myself and family will personally ski as much as we possibly can on both days as we are unlimited IKON. My gut tells me that if even a single lift is spinning at Stratton that a credit back scenario is highly unlikely but curios for feedback.

On a positive note, a weekend like this does lend itself to longer hot tub session, heavier drinking and good times at the bar!! Stay warm all and good luck wherever you ski this weekend.

kevinm55

That is great to know - really appreciate that feedback. We have many younger kids on the trip and the possibility of them tapping out early is highly likely. Smart for Stratton as it will guarantee a return trip and more $$ spent there in the future. Thanks again mbedle - stay warm!

drjeff

They have a snow guarantee policy at Stratton - Ski up to one hour and if you don't like it, go back to the ticket window and request a voucher. The voucher is good for one year.
Is that 1 hr from when the lifts open for the day or 1 hour from when someone's pass is 1st scanned for the day? I don't know that answer and it may be very applicable in the OPs situation

jaytrem

Here are rules...

• HOME OF THE SNOW GUARANTEE
    Ski or ride for up to one hour from the time your ticket is printed. If you are not satisfied with the snow conditions, bring your ticket to Guest Services or a ticket window within that hour and receive a Snow Guarantee voucher. You'll be credited a corresponding ticket for another day. To be eligible for the Snow Guarantee you must have originally purchased a ticket directly from Stratton. The new ticket will be saved to your profile and is valid for one year from the date issued.
    • Only tickets purchased at Stratton ticket windows, lodging desks, through Stratton.com or Stratton Vacation Sales are eligible for the Snow Guarantee.
    • Promotional, discounted, complimentary or tickets purchased through a third-party sales channel are not eligible.
    • You may not continue riding after trading in your ticket for a Snow Guarantee.
    • A redeemed Snow Guarantee voucher isn't eligible for another Snow Guarantee.
    • Your Snow Guarantee voucher is valid for one year from the date issued. Expiration dates can not be extended.
    • Stratton reserves the right to deny a request that isn't within the parameters of our program, and we may also modify the Snow Guarantee at any time.

kevinm55

drJeff - great question and jaytrem thanks for your answer. So it is based on the timestamp upon the guest having the ticket PRINTED at the window. Any delays by the skiier and their family coupled with a longish lift line will render that 1 hour window fairly tight!!

KustyTheKlown

it seems like an unnecessary hoop to jump thru tho - needing to redeem the ticket to claim the voucher. i'd be calling guest services and saying 'hey we have all these pre purchased tickets and this weekend is going to suck can you please voucher us without needing to show up and ski for a horrific 45 minutes'

crank

I'm thinking you could probably just show up at the ticket window in the morning and ask to trade for vouchers. I suggest the OP give Stratton a call to ask.

jaytrem

drJeff - great question and jaytrem thanks for your answer. So it is based on the timestamp upon the guest having the ticket PRINTED at the window. Any delays by the skiier and their family coupled with a longish lift line will render that 1 hour window fairly tight!!
Not sure if Mount Snow even has that deal anymore, but they weren't too strict on the time. There was often a long line at guest services, so an hour would be super tight. I can't imagine Stratton would be any different. I don't think they're really looking to upset their customers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am an IKON pass holder that has organized a group trip to Stratton this Friday and Saturday (unfortunately now due to weather). I will have multiple non pass holder families on the trip who have bought overpriced “window/website” lift tix. Needless to say, with high winds Friday and temps at or below zero also on Saturday, I anticipate that many may ask about obtaining a credit for future use at Stratton (not a refund) and would be curious to hear thoughts regarding that possibility.

I am asking for feedback based only on the reality of current Stratton operations and business model in the IKON era. My question also presumes gondola not running due to wind. Myself and family will personally ski as much as we possibly can on both days as we are unlimited IKON. My gut tells me that if even a single lift is spinning at Stratton that a credit back scenario is highly unlikely but curios for feedback.

On a positive note, a weekend like this does lend itself to longer hot tub session, heavier drinking and good times at the bar!! Stay warm all and good luck wherever you ski this weekend.
Have you contacted Stratton directly? Regardless of the ownership, I'd give them the opportunity to respond and help.

kevinm55

Have you contacted Stratton directly? Regardless of the ownership, I'd give them the opportunity to respond and help.
I have not yet called, just wanted to kind of get in front of it via their policy, etc. The dads on this trip have double base layers, full flasks and are still ready to ski!!!

abc

Wait until everyone is ready to ski before getting the ticket.

The idea of the 1 hour isn’t to let you have an hour of skiing for free. Its idea is that if you hate it after the 1st run, you can get a voucher. Any amount of lift delay shouldn’t be stretching that 1 hr. And frankly, if you actually last longer than 1 hr outside, you can’t blame it on “too cold, too windy” any more.

Last edited:

Zermatt

Last weekend (friday and Saturday) the lift ticket lines were insanely long with lots of frustrated people looking to get on the slopes at Stratton. Oh, and all the lift ticket windows inside were boarded up.

Pico has already announced they will be closed on Friday and Saturday, flat out closed, not opening any lifts. All tickets for those days are good at Killington. I suspect other mountains will start dropping as well. That's not skiing, it's survival, and if you're on a lift that breaks down it literally is. Yes, I have skied in very cold weather (-20F at Jackson Hole base and -20s at Mont Tremblant), but there was no or very little wind.

NYDB

Stratton just email blasted - lower mountain only on Friday with sunbowl closed. so I would imagine the same on Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon doesn't look that bad - at least in SoVt

also says to call to move unused products to different dates

Last edited:

kevinm55

Stratton just email blasted - lower mountain only on Friday with sunbowl closed. so I would imagine the same on Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon doesn't look that bad - at least in SoVt

also says to call to move unused products to different dates
Thx NYDB - got the notice earlier. Saw Killington also made similar adjustments for tomorrow.

Scottyskis2

4:45 PM
Windchill Advisory in Effect until 9 AM
Windchills from 15°F to more than 25°F below 0°F, tonight.

The Compound is checking in with 9°F.
The windchill across Orange County is currently between 0°F and -15°F.

Current Temperature range is 6°F to 14°F.

Keep watching