• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help Mr. Ski Diva Save The Twain House!

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
So what're you all up to tomorrow night?

How about helping save the Twain house in Hartford, CT?

As some of you may know, there's been a considerable amount of press coverage about the sorry state of financial affairs at the Mark Twain House. And unless things improve significantly, the house, home to one of American literature's most prominent figures and a neat place in its own right, may be forced to close its doors.

Because of this, Mr. Ski Diva is spearheading an effort to raise money to keep this historical landmark afloat. (Mr. Ski Diva is the author of "Finn", the deep, dark story of Huckleberry Finn's father. It was named an American Library Association Notable Book of the Year and one of the year's best by The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, and The Christian Science Monitor.) He and a number of A-list authors (Tom Perrota, Arthur Phillips, Robert Hicks, Philip Lapote, Stuart O'Nan, David Gates, and more) will be participating in "Writers Read for Twain," a fundraiser to benefit the Mark Twain House and Museum. On September 23, Jon and other authors will read their favorite Twain excerpts, sign books, and be present at a reception at the Twain House and Museum.

Anyone interested in the fundraiser can go here. Or if you just want to donate, go here.

I'll be there, so if you attend, be sure to say hi!

BTW, CBS Sunday Morning may be there covering the event. Cool!

bvibert

Staff member
Good cause. I always wanted to visit there, but never have. Not really sure why since it's so close. It will be sad if they can't stay open.

drjeff

I've been there a bunch of times, especially when i was doing my Residency at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford which is all of maybe a 1/2 mile from the Mark Twain House.

It's been added to my list of office charitable contributions.