• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with lodging suggestions - Stratton

Bumpsis

I have never been to Stratton, and seeing that it's an option on my IKON, will check it out late in January. So, I'm looking for lodging recommendations.
I don't want to stay at the resort, mainly due to pricing. I don't mind a 10 - 15 mile drive up. My optimal range for a basic accommodations is probably $ 100 - $140 range. Clean, quiet place with comfortable beds.
I did a bit of looking around and found an inn that looks interesting: The Blue Gentian. A bit more than I'd like to pay but they throw in a breakfast, so that's nice. Any opinions on that place?

KustyTheKlown

The blue gentian is literally at magic. So is the upper pass lodge and the snowdon. I haven’t stayed at any.

When I ski Stratton/magic, I stay in Manchester for the cheap. Weathervane motel is cheapest. Under 100. Four winds motel is next cheapest. Under 150. Both are fine if you’re fine with shabby.

More high end options available in Manchester from “good chain” (Hampton inn) to “luxury resort” (equinox)

Manchester has outlet shopping and a handful of places to eat. The drive up 30 to the ski areas can be hairy if it’s snowing heavy but it’s usually fine

Bumpsis

The blue gentian is literally at magic. So is the upper pass lodge and the snowdon. I haven’t stayed at any.

When I ski Stratton/magic, I stay in Manchester for the cheap. Weathervane motel is cheapest. Under 100. Four winds motel is next cheapest. Under 150. Both are fine if you’re fine with shabby.

More high end options available in Manchester from “good chain” (Hampton inn) to “luxury resort” (equinox)

Manchester has outlet shopping and a handful of places to eat. The drive up 30 to the ski areas can be hairy if it’s snowing heavy but it’s usually fine
Thanks! Shabby is not an issue. Skiing is what matters, so decent rest and road food that doesn't get one sick are most important.

flakeydog

Black Bear Lodge is not bad. Funky old-school (and just plain old) "ski lodge" accommodations. Modest in every way including price but its a short walk (or shuttle) to the lift and village for skiing and/or dining.

Edit: saw your price range and this will be more like 160+ if you book out later in the season but free breakfast and basically right in the village is a perk and it will always be less than the other more sophisticated options nearby.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Black Bear Lodge is not bad. Funky old-school (and just plain old) "ski lodge" accommodations. Modest in every way including price but its a short walk (or shuttle) to the lift and village for skiing and/or dining.

Edit: saw your price range and this will be more like 160+ if you book out later in the season but free breakfast and basically right in the village is a perk and it will always be less than the other more sophisticated options nearby.

was kinda shocked to see that BB lodge is $160 so i checked. random weekend in february is $370 per night for the cheapest room with a 2 night minimum

flakeydog

Yeah- my bad, remembering now we went in late march on a whim and it was cheap at that time, would not expect the same in primetime. Having an Ikon pass does sweeten the deal though

icecoast1

The drive from Magic to Stratton isn't bad if that's where there's lodging in your price range. There's grocery stores and decent food options not far from there too in Londonderry

ColdRain&Snow

Bromley view inn baby.
Staying there next week.

I was there last month and the restaurant is closed, but they have breakfast and let you use the kitchen microwave, dishes/bowls, cutlery.

Great for pure ski trips if you don’t need to pick up anything, Manchester is better if you want/need grocery stores/restaurants,

Bumpsis

Here is a sweet tent for $64.

I'm cheap, but not that cheap. Although, in my past, I have slept in my car, parked at Mad River Glen parking lot. Apparently, back then, that was an OK thing to do. Now, my wife does ski with me and she requires some modicum of comfort. :) Having said that, that tent would be OK for warmer times. I have yet to explore southern VT. I have a decent gravel bike so I'm taking note of your suggestion for future reference.

x10003q

The Alpenrose is decent and might have something under $200 incl breakfast.

KustyTheKlown

Staying there next week.

I was there last month and the restaurant is closed, but they have breakfast and let you use the kitchen microwave, dishes/bowls, cutlery.

Great for pure ski trips if you don’t need to pick up anything, Manchester is better if you want/need grocery stores/restaurants,

ive driven by the bromley view countless times but never investigated their website or anything

personally, i prefer staying closer to 'stuff'. bromley view is on its own on route 30 and is at least 10-15 min + to any food or stuff