• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking the AT in CT

hikingmama

Hi, I'm a mom who wants to do a loop hike with my 11 yr old daughter (my hiking buddy) on the ct AT which would include an overnight stay. Any suggestions?

Greg

Staff member
Moving to hiking...

Welcome hikingmama.

cbcbd

Whenever I need to get out quickly into the woods I usually head up to the Bear Mountain area. The area has a peak with views (Bear mtn), has a beautiful stream (Sages Ravine), and plenty of sleeping options.

Looping around Bear is always popular - up Undermountain, taking the Paradise Lane trail and then going South on the AT and up to Bear and then coming down on the South side of Bear and down the Undermountain trail.

You can sleep at the Sages Ravine campsite, which isn't too far North on the AT, or sleep at the shelter about 1.5miles south of the summit of Bear.

Mike P.

The South Taconic area (Bear & Race in MA & Brace in NY) would be by far the nicest.

I believe a good hike can be done further south too with parts of the Mohawk trail but you'd need an AT & blue trails guidebook. The AT I have but not the blue trails of which outside of a few well traveled ones, I don't know many sadly. (The Whites & NH I'm better at than my home state :oops: )

cbcbd

Mike P. said:
I believe a good hike can be done further south too with parts of the Mohawk trail but you'd need an AT & blue trails guidebook. The AT I have but not the blue trails of which outside of a few well traveled ones, I don't know many sadly. (The Whites & NH I'm better at than my home state :oops: )
The Mohawk trail that takes you up to the tower is a nice hike. I wish I could find an old AT map that still had that trail in it.

Shame on you for not owning the CT blue trail guide :wink:
I've done a few CT blue trails and I really enjoy them. They are usually not too dificult but you get to see some nice hidden areas and walk through people's backyards :D

Mike P.

I've done a few, Case Mountian/Gay City, Mt. Higby, Cockaponset State Forest, part of the Pachaug too.

I've I'm looking for a walk in the woods, I'll hit the Airline in CT, if I'm looking for views not far from home, either Mt. Tom or Holyoke Range or South Taconics.

I like that fall & winter bite that being above treeline delivers, if PA was 8-10K I'd probably only rarely hit the Whites as 8-10 in PA would be way above treeline. (well 8 might be about as much as Washington is above)