• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hillman Highway 04/28/2008

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked: April 25-26 2008

Trails(s) Hiked:Tuckerman Trail, Hillman Highway, and Sherburne.

Total Distance: Approx. 7 miles , 3400 Ft. elev. gain

Difficulty: Moderate some steep sections

Conditions: Sunny blue skies, no clouds, no wind, no rain (TB)

Trip Report: Trip to tux and I'm putting it in the Hiking section, hmm... well did much more hiking than skiing. Hiked up Friday with full backpack (85 pounds). Checked out Tux last year for the first time, this year decided to do and overnighter. Anyway the hike up was tough, I'm in the worst shape of my life and decide to carry 85 pounds up Mt. Washington, good one! :dunce: Wasn't easy,but I did make it up to HoJos and the leantos. Big blisters on both of my heels, but made it.

Met up with Snowmonster along the way, he hiked with me most of the way up. Got up there after 4 hours of hiking, got my spot in a leanto and just took it easy the rest of the day. Took in the sights and then had some chili for dinner, hung out with the guys I shared the leanto with. Went to sleep about 8:30. Got up the next morning about 6, had some coffee and cereal snacks. and everntually started my hike up HIllman Highway. Tuckerman just had far too many runnels and dangers of falling ice. Hillman was the run for this weekend.

Originally I had hoped to hike to the summit and ski down the eastern snowfields and Hillman, but taking into consideration the strenuous hike up and my sad shape, wasn't gonna happen. I did climb up Hillman Highway, hung out at the top for bit, walked around took in the scenery, and then skied down an nice bumpy Hillman Highway. Corn and bumps all the way, real nice and sweet. Got to the bottom, hiked over to the leanto and packed up my stuff. The original plan was to spend the night,ski down the next morning and head over to Mt. Snow. However Sherburne was only open half way down and and I figured that I might as well leave that afternoon instead of spending the night.

With about 60 pounds on my back, bit less since I took the skis and boot off, it took a bit of getting used to skiing down Sherburne. Wouldn't have been too bad, but with all that weight and tons of bumps, had to do it very carefully. Didn't take me long at all to figure out that I had to stay out of the back seat. Hit one bump and you get pushed back, then the weight kicks in and you say hello ground :) At the point, it's no easy task getting up. Anyway Sherburne was open about halfway down, worked up a good sweat doing it. But, it was still better then hiking down the top half of Tuckerman, which is the steepest part and covered with snow, both soft and firm. Eventually got to the end of Sherburne, took my skis and boots off, put them on my backpack, bringing the weight back up and cut across to Tuckerman Trail for the rest of the hike down. Bit tricky walking down with all that weight on rocks and snow, mostly snow. Eventually got back to the car about 8:30, it was already dark. One real funny sensation is when you take such a backpack off, I suddenly felt like gravity was pushing me forward and down :) and my legs felt like rubber.

Drove to White River Junction where I got a hotel for the night. Had a bit of trouble walking, with the skin torn off my heels, my muscles aching in both my arms and legs, and a sunburned neck. But damn, felt good doing it! Pics can be found here: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=116

Last edited:
Wow nice report..even if the dates were wrong..You brought an incredible amount of gear along for one night..nice pictures..I'm tired just reading about your gi-normous backpack..

snowmonster

Congratulations on surviving! Good pics and I'm glad you got to do Hillman's. It did look pretty sweet and, if I spent the night there, I surely would have hit it the next day. Bowl itself was actually quite good. Left and Right Gully were soft and bumped up. The runnels on the face itself were not too much of a problem. Just had to treat them like bumps.

I think I have another Tux trip in me before the season ends. I'm getting a hang of climbing the ole Rockpile. I'll remember to pack light.

cbcbd

Andy, good stuff and way to just get out there and do it... you looked mighty prepared with that pack :D

I'm not sure I'd put "nice", "bumps" and any line in the Whites under the same TR... but that's just me ;)

Greg

Staff member
Great report and nice pics! Could have done without the stinky foot shot though. ;) Time for some moleskin, my brotha!

Greg

Staff member
Meant to buy it, but was so rushed, I forgot.

Well, if you didn't waste so much time spamming your trip on the forum, you would've been better prepared. Doubt you could have fit that little package of moleskin in that honkin' 85 lb. backpack of yours though anyway... :lol:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well, if you didn't waste so much time spamming your trip on the forum, you would've been better prepared. Doubt you could have fit that little package of moleskin in that honkin' 85 lb. backpack of yours though anyway... :lol:

Wiseguys, dime a dozen around here :lol:

So, I'm thinking of starting early planning for next year, you in?

Don't tell me you packed dehydrated food in your 85 pound pack..lol..did you hike in hiking boots or ski boots?

Greg

Staff member
So, I'm thinking of starting early planning for next year, you in?

You might be able to convince me. I'm already determined to save more vacation days for spring next year.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Don't tell me you packed dehydrated food in your 85 pound pack..lol..did you hike in hiking boots or ski boots?

I packed buffulo chili, power bars, some dried sausage and trail mix. Hiking up I hiked in some new mountaineering boots, which up to now felt comfortable. After the hike I realize that they were a bit big. That was hiking up to the leanto.

Hiking up Hillman, I started out in hiking boots and then at the base decided I'd be better off in ski boots. So I took off my hiking boots, put them in a plastic trash bag and hid them behind a rock. Hiked up in my skiboots, skied down, then had trouble finding my hiking boots. :lol:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You might be able to convince me. I'm already determined to save more vacation days for spring next year.

Next year, I think I'd want to go up earlier. I would like to ski the whole length of Sherburne back down. Also, not sure if I'd camp out on top. As much as I loved it, carrying the load was tough. After speaking to other campers, I found that 75-85 pounds was the norm.

Greg

Staff member
Next year, I think I'd want to go up earlier. I would like to ski the whole length of Sherburne back down. Also, not sure if I'd camp out on top. As much as I loved it, carrying the load was tough. After speaking to other campers, I found that 75-85 pounds was the norm.

That is a heavy ass pack. I've done 3 night backpacks in the summer with ~40-45 lb. packs. I could see how skis and boots could put you up to that range.