• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hints for Early Season Limited Terrain Open

catskills

I have been skiing for a few decades. Okay a lot of decades. I thought I would write down a few hints for skiing early season with extremely limited number of trails open:

1. Expect extremely crowded trails. Forget the long lift lines. The real problem is skiing real close bumper to bumper to each other.
  2. Black diamond trails maybe less crowded then that single blue intermediate trail off the top of the mountain. For example I was skiing mostly blacks on Saturday which was not that crowded on the trails. On Sunday I skied with my friend on the one intermediate blue trail off the top. I thought I was going to die it was so crowded.
  3. First or second day out people get tired in the afternoon and the snow conditions get fast (ICE) due to over use. People are tired, can't hold an edge or complete their turns. In the afternoon many skiers are going fast and yes out of control
  4. If you find the trail conditions too crowded, your tired, and people skiing out of control in the afternoon, then for safety reasons quit early.
Be safe out there. It should be a long season this year. :beer:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Always look before you turn. Always. When? Always. I'm a weekend warrior and used to crowded trails but if you're a midweek skier and not used to busy trails don't forget your extra vigilance.

Jully

Get out there early and ski through the lunch hours. Biggest crowds hit ~10am then drop off at noon.

Always ski through the lunch hours. Either skip lunch entirely or get lunch at like 2. Or even better at 10 when the main crowds hit.

I'm a 9 ish to 2 or 3 PM straight through depending on terrain avail and conditions/crowds then I'm done. No lunch break usually unless I'm thirsty. I like to carry something sweet with me and just eat on the chair for a quick pick me up.

On day trips I like to have a really good, hearty PB&J for the ride home. Does the trick although I may not be the most fun to ski with unless you want to hit it hard.

wtcobb

I'm a 9 ish to 2 or 3 PM straight through depending on terrain avail and conditions/crowds then I'm done. No lunch break usually unless I'm thirsty. I like to carry something sweet with me and just eat on the chair for a quick pick me up.

On day trips I like to have a really good, hearty PB&J for the ride home. Does the trick although I may not be the most fun to ski with unless you want to hit it hard.

Likewise, though I worm my way into the bar at 3PM. Save me a seat, DH.

dlague

I like the way Cannon is opening. All kinds of varying terrain the spreads people out with multiple lifts. Totally removes many of the issues the OP mentions.

The key to early season is patience and to keep expectations low.

Also if there is more than one ski area, ski at the one where you can get to the lodge with out hiking.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

I may not be the most fun to ski with unless you want to hit it hard.

Quoted for greatness.

Agreed on bring with you a mindset of lowered expectations but be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. If the skiing is indeed mediocre use it as an occasion to primarily work on technique or strengthening, towards the goal of skiing better later in the season.

dlague

Quoted for greatness.

Agreed on bring with you a mindset of lowered expectations but be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. If the skiing is indeed mediocre use it as an occasion to primarily work on technique or strengthening, towards the goal of skiing better later in the season.
That's right low expectations does lead to surprises. Skied on icy WROD which I still have a good time on two weeks ago then last weekend went back to added terrain and almost mid winter conditions and it ended up being one of the best early skiing days we ever had.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would rather ski WROD than virtually all other outdoor activities available to me this time of year and I'm not someone who likes to stay indoors during my free time.

Leg strengthening is also a big component of why I still go when the terrain offerings are limited and the snow sucks. The gym helps, but there's no substitute for skiing. When things do get good, I want my strength and technique in peak season form. It's no fun skiing like crap on a powder day and having to come off the mountain early because my body isn't prepared for the conditions.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Although this applies all season long, sometimes the number of safety meetings directly correlates to the enjoyment of the day. Therefore, even an early season, limited terrain day can be wondrous....lol....

dlague

Personally I love early season due to some of the technical aspects related hard and fast conditions. We have never been deterred by crowds or conditions. It does not mean it is optimal or that I like it. It is just great to get out early as possible after waiting all summer.

4aprice

I would rather ski WROD than virtually all other outdoor activities available to me this time of year and I'm not someone who likes to stay indoors during my free time.

Leg strengthening is also a big component of why I still go when the terrain offerings are limited and the snow sucks. The gym helps, but there's no substitute for skiing. When things do get good, I want my strength and technique in peak season form. It's no fun skiing like crap on a powder day and having to come off the mountain early because my body isn't prepared for the conditions.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I kind of see it both ways. I'm not a huge fan of the WROD but I agree that leg conditioning is extremely important. If I'm going to travel (meaning NNE and a weekend trip) I'm not going to do it for the WROD. But if its the home bump, Camelback I'm there as soon as it opens. I agree that there is no substitute for skiing to form the muscles that make a season more enjoyable. That is why I will go up to CBK time and time again and yo-yo the same trails over and over. The payoff comes in those days up north and out west when everything is clicking and I'm hitting my stride. I haven't gotten out yet this season but I have kept up my dryland training regiment and am chomping at the bit to go. Maybe next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

crank

I am a big proponent of #5.

I am very happy to go mountain biking or hiking until more terrain is open and, hopefully, more natural snow falls.

Scruffy

I am a big proponent of #5.

I am very happy to go mountain biking or hiking until more terrain is open and, hopefully, more natural snow falls.

I use to feel the same way; never would do the WROD, but I've succumb the past few years to the siren call of early turns, and I have to say, it's not that bad. Today, at Hunter was awesome.

ScottySkis

I use to feel the same way; never would do the WROD, but I've succumb the past few years to the siren call of early turns, and I have to say, it's not that bad. Today, at Hunter was awesome.
Yes it was great first day of the season. I got out late expecting bad condition s because of weather forecast but it was very opposite . Good bumps on The cliff. Nice Jimmy Hugga and good cliff trails. No ice good snow. Very happy with what they opened first. Only skiied from 1 to 345didnt want my fat ass to get to tired on first day. For hit up the a few times this month. Great skiing people from here. The ski season will only get better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

crank

Have to admit I have done Thanksgiving and pre Thanksgiving skiing and it is fun. Of course it's fun - it's skiing! But I still prefer to wait a bit.