• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Honda Snowblowers

skijay

I'm getting ready to purchase a new snow blower. Looking at one without electric start (HS724WA). That part concerns me but the unit itself is solid construction unlike a Husquavarna or Ariens that I looked at. I'm paying more for the Honda and am giving up heated handlebars, power steering, electric start and a headlight to pay a premium for a Honda that from what I'm told & read online that the Honda will last a long time.

Anybody own one and or use one?

Hawkshot99

I do not own a Honda snowblower, but have had several pieces of Honda power equipment. I have several Honda engines mounted on various machines and they are all great.
I have a OLD(17 years) push mower from them. Sadl I dont think the oil has ever, or at least not any time recently been changed. It starts first pull every time, except first time spring use, may take a few pulls.
Small Honda engines are the industry standard in the outdoor power equipment industry. The complete machines are also great.

buellski

I don't have a Honda snow blower, but I have 3 dirt bikes, an ATV, and a generator and I have to say they are all pretty much bullet proof. The only new one is the generator. The other three are all 2004 or older. I don't have snow blower because I use the ATV as a plow. I would not hesitate to buy a Honda snow blower.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I use a snowthrower attachment for my garden tractor (Cub Cadet) which works well. It's expensive ... like $1000, as much as a standalone snowblower, without a motor. But; you get the 42" width so it clears my 110' driveway very quickly. I need to wear full ski gear when I use it (goggles, etc) as the snow mist gets every-where.

hammer

Have a 6 year old Honda push lawn mower that starts on the first pull and has a great cut.
Had a Honda mower, engine was fine but the tranny gave out after only 6-7 seasons. Lawn is big so I replaced it with a JD Tractor and a less expensive Craftsman mower for cut-ins.

Geoff

This is something where I always look at Consumer Reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/11/clear-the-snow-not-your-bank-account/index.htm

If you think about how many hours the engine actually runs on a snow blower, I don't think it matters what you use. What matters is fully draining the fuel at the end of the season and spraying some carb cleaner around so it starts reliably on fresh gasoline the next season. With wet snow, if you spray all the surfaces with spray cooking oil or silicon, nothing sticks.

Fast clearing and the ability to tear through dense plow piles put the 24-inch Craftsman 88173, a CR Best Buy at $680, at the top of the pack.

For bigger jobs. Full-sized snow blowers are faster and clear a wide swath, good for larger driveways. The 30-inch Craftsman 88396, $1,200

I checked the prices on the Sears site and both of those are a few bucks more than the reported CR prices. $699.99 and $1229.99.

Geoff

Have a 6 year old Honda push lawn mower that starts on the first pull and has a great cut.

I have a 5 year old $129.00 Briggs & Stratton Brute with an an MTD deck that starts every time on the first pull. All I do to it is drain the gas in the fall and change the oil every few years.

Warp Daddy

My first Ariens dual stage 7 hp lasted 30 yrs , i sold it for a decent price and now have had my second one a 724 for four yrs with Zero problems . I have a 140. Ft of driveway and and 150 ft of walks i do and did I say we LIVE in a snowbelt with Lake Effect ;)

bvibert

Staff member
My first Ariens dual stage 7 hp lasted 30 yrs , i sold it for a decent price and now have had my second one a 724 for four yrs with Zero problems . I have a 140. Ft of driveway and and 150 ft of walks i do and did I say we LIVE in a snowbelt with Lake Effect ;)

I've had an Ariens for several years now, it's never given me any problems.

bvibert

Staff member

My ?? year old Craftsman mower starts on the first pull too. I haven't done anything to maintain it aside from sharpening the blade and filling the gas when needed since my wife rescued it from someone's garbage on the side of the road over a year ago. I forget what it has for an engine, but it's not a Honda, Briggs and Stratton maybe? My point being that a mower starting on the first pull doesn't really mean much these days... ;)

skijay

I'm replacing my 40 year old, one (my) family, owned Ariens.

o3jeff

My ?? year old Craftsman mower starts on the first pull too. I haven't done anything to maintain it aside from sharpening the blade and filling the gas when needed since my wife rescued it from someone's garbage on the side of the road over a year ago. I forget what it has for an engine, but it's not a Honda, Briggs and Stratton maybe? My point being that a mower starting on the first pull doesn't really mean much these days... ;)

How does it cut? Does it leave nice lines on the lawn?
Lawn.jpg

I do have a Toro also that always seems to start on 2 pulls.

jack97

I'm replacing my 40 year old, one (my) family, owned Ariens.

Why change?

One important thing I wanted from a snowblower is how far the impeller can throw the snow. Long ago, I bought a craftmans, a bad purchase, had little throwing power. It would take forever to clear the snow and if it snowed on consecutive week or days, the blower could not clear the banks. I noticed my neighbors with Ariens or Toro, those things can chuck it far away, especially wet or road salted stuff. I have a U shape driveway and a long sidewalk easement that I plow for school kids, those areas always has salt treated stuff. Only reason I may consider another brand is a "renamed" version of the Arien or Toro.