• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HOTELS, MOTELS and LODGES how prices have changed from MILD to WILD since Covid-19. Where are you finding deals?

BenedictGomez

Just be aware there is close to a 50 mile gap of services on I-70 between approximately Moab and Grand Jct Co if your traveling that way.

Almost made this mistake a few weeks ago, but from Green River to Price; 62 miles between gas stations. Pulled into Price with about 20 miles gas left.

Wont forget that next time.

jimk

Almost made this mistake a few weeks ago, but from Green River to Price; 62 miles between gas stations. Pulled into Price with about 20 miles gas left.

Wont forget that next time.
I'm on that stretch from Price to Green River in southern UT once or twice a winter in recent years. Drove it west in Jan '24 and east in May. One plus, although a two lane road, it has frequent passing lanes.

Here's another drive to be very careful with regarding gasoline: The drive from SLC to Mammoth is approximately 550 miles (8.5-9 hours) through high desert and a series of dusty valleys and isolated mountain ridges. I've done quite a few road trips in the US over my lifetime. What was remarkable about this drive is that it was one of the most remote and low traffic I've ever taken in the USA.

The segment from the town of Wendover on the NV-UT border to almost all the way to Mammoth features over 400 miles on two-lane roads via US ALT 93, US 6, and CA Rt 120. The drive cuts through the extremely rural heart of Nevada where towns and gas stations are far and few between. I saw a sign in the eastern portion of the drive that said Next Gas 124 miles. Towards the western side of Nevada I saw a sign referring to a different section of roadway that said Next Gas 167 miles.

The drive through central Nevada can be described as beautiful for it's stark desolation. The roads were clear of snow and traffic, and the temperatures were comfortable (around 60-70 degs) when we made our crossings (April 14 westward, April 19 eastward 2022). However, it's not a place you want to run out of gas, especially in the summer months.

Hwy 93
hwy 93 14 apr 2022.jpg

Lonely rest stop on the way to Ely, NV.
lonely rest stop 14 apr 2022.jpg

Lots of BLM land.
blm 19 apr 2022.jpg

Since this is a motel thread I should include a photo of the Clown Motel in remote Tonopah, NV. Didn't stay there, but it's pretty well known, long way from anywhere. Old mining town.
clowns 19 apr (1).jpg

PS: @BodeMiller1 you got a healthy thatch growing in that armpit of yours :)

Last edited: