• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do JAYPEAK and STOWE handle freezing mix precip during the night?? for next day

MidnightJester

For whoever has ridden Jay(70inch base now) and Stowe(70 inch base now) after a freezing mix cycle. Are lifts open the next day(morning) and serviced terrain usually. How is the terrain?? Its riding decent from few skireports so far(midweek) Its looking like our Saturday at Jay could be about anything rain freezing rain and snow. and Sunday at Stowe is a better chance at being a good day. Sun chould be out more and better chance of some white stuff it seems Sunday then Saturday. Thanks in advance.

mbedle

Was up at Stowe last weekend after the rain and riding was great. Start early, as it gets pretty heavy around mid-day with the warm weather. The did delay the opening (Four Runner Quad) on Saturday morning to allow the groomers to get done. Looks like some snow might fall on Saturday night, so Sunday is looking pretty good for Stowe. Most of the terrain will be open with the exception of the toll house area, which I am assuming you wouldn't want to ski anyway (FLAT). Steeps like nosedive and Hayride, will be pretty icy in the moorings with the freezing temps over the nights and warmer temps during the day this time of year. I don't ride on the front four, but they looked a little rough last weekend. I'm guessing that they soften up a little later in the day.

drjeff

It's all about the after the precip forecast for most every resort now at this stage of the season. If its going to warm up later in the day, then pretty much everyone is going to groom out a few core trails and de-ice a couple of lifts and then wait for mother nature to melt and/or soften the rest to open. Late season often reduced staff will cause most places, regardless of what they're charging to do that.

skiur

Its getting to be spring skiing now, dont bother getting out before 10 AM, let the sun come out and get it nice and soft and go rip the bumps that form. May not get warm or sunny enough on saturday but sunday the sun should come out make for a great day.

MidnightJester

Thanks, Awesome advice. Have never been to Jay before. Wishing to check out their glades but no idea on their condition will be except plenty of snow. Assuming some frozen crust on sat. Sunday at Stowe should be better then good I hope with the coverage and sun and warm on Sunday.