• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How does someone ski this?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Notice the horizon is tilted. I think the photo is exaggerating the slope. I'm sure its still nl plenty steep!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Also I think the slope arcs towards the camera and the left angle is more vertical. Hard to tell from the image.

Bottom line is i don't it's possible to ski a vertical wall b haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Mapnut

It's essentially a drop, right? With maybe a little contact with the snow to help him keep his balance. What matters is what he has to land on maybe 50 feet below.

skiNEwhere

At a pitch that steep, I would think snow wouldn't even be able to settle on the surface. I think the photo was rotated slightly.

legalskier

Pic #13 reminds me of driving up to Hunter on 23A one frigid morning in Kaaterskill Forest between Palenville and Haines Falls when I saw a similar scene of one intrepid soul scaling the ice cliff on the right.
Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Mapnut

At a pitch that steep, I would think snow wouldn't even be able to settle on the surface.

Looks like a windblown and wind-packed face of a cornice, not a surface that snow has to settle on. I'm sure you've seen snowdrifts with near-vertical faces, maybe not at this scale. Like the peak down below at bottom center of the photo.

MadMadWorld

This pic was marked inbound for a number of years but was rarely open due to avi danger (shocker!). I guess the last straw was when 2 patrollers almost died in a slide while trying to get that area open.

Attachments

• 1388517300081.jpg
    1388517300081.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 46