• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How is SugarLoaf compare to Okemo?

pootie_teng

Never snowboard in Sugarloaf but I did snowboard in Okemo. I liked how Okemo was wide and not narrow. Coming from PA, our mountains are small!!

ScottySkis

Like Orange to Apple. Suharloaf big vertical close to 3000 lots of expert stuff I hear can't wait for a zone trip in few weeks it be awesome snow fall would make it epic. I sure Okemo will fill small compared to the Loaf.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sugar loaf is much steeper than Okemo. Its exposure makes it much windier and colder. They lack Okemos snowmaking fire power and don't have as nice a lift system.

That said sugar loaf does have perhaps the best network of wide cruising trails in the Northeast.

I'd ski there 10 times to 1 over Okemo. Awesome mountain

KevinF

Coming from Pennsylvania? To Sugarloaf? You understand how far away Sugarloaf is, right?

That said, there's really no comparing Sugarloaf to Okemo. Sugarloaf has

• Much steeper terrain (although I've always found that most of the trails have a pretty long run-out to them)
  • Much better un-groomed terrain (see: Snowfields, although they aren't open all that often).
  • Wind and cold that dwarfs what Okemo usually gets. Sugarloaf can go on wind-hold quite a bit.
  • Absolutely nothing to do there except ski. There's no nearby town.

bzrperfspec77

Did you mean Sugarbush instead of Sugarloaf?

I have skied both and after my first time to the loaf, it became my favorite mountain. It has it all and has the best layout of a mountain I have ever skied. All trails come down to basically one central location where you can skate (if you ski) across. Even with the wind holds they have a T-bar that will take you near the top and give you access to a lot of terrain.

I wish I lived closer to the loaf.

Sven Leonson

Went there for the first time over Christmas break (from Maryland!).

Loved it! We stayed at the hotel (spacious rooms) and had a great time - everyone (family of 4) agreed they'd want to go back next year. Long runs, challenging terrain, friendly people (staff and visitors).

Snowmaking seemed weak compared to our local hill (Whitetail). Lots of cold weather but very little snow made. Could have been the wind (why make snow if it is just gonna be blown off the mountain?). One day the wind was calm and they made a metric F ton, but that was the day we were leaving.

I also experienced a new level of cold that week! It was a game of 'where can I stuff yet one more handwarmer'. King Pine lift has a plastic seat and I was about to put handwarmers in my back pocket at one point!

Wish I could go again this season but its a long drive from here (12 hours).

drjeff

Sugarloaf or Sugarbush are far superior to Okemo ...

For most "better" skiers and riders, sure.

But if you've got say a group/family of lower level skiers/riders and/or just like to cruise comfortable easier terrain then they may think Okemo is the place - hence why Okemo draws the number of folks annually that they do! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

bigbog

Sugarloaf is managed by Boyne Resorts, which has 11? other resorts..thus its budgeting can't help but restrict snowmaking..no matter how one cuts it. Sunday River gets the heavier public traffic from southern/mid-New England. Compared to VT lines, the Loaf isn't bad...even on weekends, and is anyone's to own midweek...but like Vermont Sugarloaf will get a little fresh snow most days. Easiest lodging is @the hotels, however you can get some good rates ~7mi north of the access road, in & outside of the village of Stratton...fwiw. Also one or two lodges in Kingfield..along its back roads.
This stretch of inverted temps is pretty strange, but the natural stuff normally stays a little drier..a little longer due to north-facing slopes. During a "normal"? winter Stowe might ski a little longer into Spring, but what closes first @Sugarloaf is the operation & its lifts. Often still much snow on more than a few trails. What's nice is that there's still plenty of terrain that's rather new to play with...Brackett Basin is the latest.
$.01

Last edited:

wa-loaf

But if you've got say a group/family of lower level skiers/riders and/or just like to cruise comfortable easier terrain then they may think Okemo is the place - hence why Okemo draws the number of folks annually that they do! :)

Actually Sugarloaf has a ton of good cruising terrain. If it was situated in VT it'd be the top resort in NE (especially if it got Stowe or Jay type snowfall ...). Also since it's remote the base area is nicely contained. Once you are there you don't need to get in your car again until you are ready to leave.

Smellytele

If you put Okemo and Sugarloaf next to each other I believe Sugarloaf would get more traffic even from the group/family of lower level skiers/riders and/or who just like to cruise comfortable easier terrain. The issue is that Sugarloaf is in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get there from just about anywhere.

drjeff

If you put Okemo and Sugarloaf next to each other I believe Sugarloaf would get more traffic even from the group/family of lower level skiers/riders and/or who just like to cruise comfortable easier terrain. The issue is that Sugarloaf is in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get there from just about anywhere.

But since one can't move mountains.... ;)

C-Rex

The Loaf is fantastic! I have a trip planned in March and still wish I could go to the AZ summit too. I've done enough Okemo bashing for a few lifetimes so I'll stay away from it now. However, in all honesty the Loaf is far superior, especially for a long weekend or full week type trip. The terrain is fantastic. They get pretty good snowfall. The village is great to bop around in, and there's several killer restaurants right at the base area. You can also get some seriously good deals on lodging and tickets, especially if you go mid-week. You can break up the drive by stopping in Kittery for lunch and doing some good outlet shopping. Great place to stretch your legs.

bobbutts

Sugarloaf seems like it's in a different region from the rest of NE due to the larger mtn and middle of nowhere setting. Even though it's not tops on the list for vertical and acreage, it feels like it should be.
Okemo's mtn is nothing special at all for size and steepness, but they cut plenty of intermediate trails and make snow and groom it as well as anyone. If you don't venture into the woods or ungroomed, it's a top 5 destination in NE.

C-Rex

Sugarloaf seems like it's in a different region from the rest of NE due to the larger mtn and middle of nowhere setting. Even though it's not tops on the list for vertical and acreage, it feels like it should be.
Okemo's mtn is nothing special at all for size and steepness, but they cut plenty of intermediate trails and make snow and groom it as well as anyone. If you don't venture into the woods or ungroomed, it's a top 5 destination in NE.

Actually, the Loaf, with the addition of Brackett Basin, now has the most acreage in the NE, by a lot. They were neck and neck with Killington but have now almost doubled their terrain.

gmcunni

Actually, the Loaf, with the addition of Brackett Basin, now has the most acreage in the NE, by a lot. They were neck and neck with Killington but have now almost doubled their terrain.

oh no, here we go . . .

K vs SL..

gmcunni

i like Okemo. I've only skied Sugarloaf 1 weekend but found it to be excellent. Distance & Weather aside (my perception is wind can be an issue @ SL) i'd take SL over O.