• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you air out your boot liners

How often do you air out your boot liners

• Never

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • End of season

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Two or three times a season

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After every ski day

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It doesn't really matter how funky my clothes get since no one will ever smell them over the dank stench coming from my boots.

This quote from C-rex got me thinking especially since a friend of mine asked me how often I pull my liners to air them out.

My answer - I keep the boots open instead of cooped up in a bag but only pull the liners out at the end of the season.

dmc

After a long day in the BC I break out my liners...
otherwise I just use my boot dryer..

drjeff

I pull my liners after every day. You don't really realize how much condensation/melted snow regularly builds up between your liner and your shell on a daily basis until you see it firsthand! Plus, with my typical ski schedule of 3 days in a row every week, if i'm not pulling my liners at night, that 2nd or 3rd day in a row, i'm often putting my foot into a liner that isn't 100% dry (and that's even after they've spent the night on a commercial boot dryer. Circulating air bot inside and outside of my liners make a BIG difference in my on hill comfort the next day.

Plus, it literally takes maybe combined 30 seconds to both pull and then replace the liners into my shells - minimal time effort for maximum hill comfort = win/win in my book!

C-Rex

Mine were fine until a trip to Tahoe 2 years ago. I rode 12 out of 13 days and even though I tried to dry them out at night, I didn't have boot dryers and they were always a little damp the next day. They've been awful ever since. Of course, I haven't tried a disinfectant spray or anything so I suppose I only have myself to blame. I think right now they're at the point of hockey equipment and nothing will save them.

Hawkshot99

I try to pull my liners every day. Sometimes I forget though. It is amazing to see how much moisture is in the boots and liners after skiing.

My boots still stink, but I think it is my feet. My sneakers will smell pretty bad less than a week after washing them.

LiquidFeet

I don't pull out the liners of my current boots because they are so hard to get out. However I do place a small fan on top of the boots blowing down into them after skiing. I leave the fan on all night, but that's not really necessary. About 4-5 hours dries them. Heat is not necessary.

I never miss doing this. They are 4 years old, and I ski 50-60 days/year. They don't stink. The boots are clear plastic at the toebox and I can see the droplets of water in there when I take them off. The droplets are gone in the morning after a night of fan drying.

Glenn

Semi transparent shells give you and idea of how much moisture gets in there. I use a low heat, no fan boot dryer. I pull the liners out every few weeks.

TheArchitect

I use a boot dryer after every day but don't pull the liners. If I didn't have Hotronics I'd probably pull the liners after every 3-4 days of skiing.

mlctvt

Boot dryer used aftter every day.
My Chinook boot dryer uses room temp air.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Seems I'm in a small minority. I never considered condensation between the liner and boot. I may invest in a boot dryer after all is said and done.

bvibert

Staff member
It depends on how soon I'll be skiing again, if it's more than a couple of days I'm likely to leave them in, otherwise I'll probably pull them out to dry.

kickstand

After every ski day. With the new boots, I've noticed some snow melt gets in right above the toes, where the overlap of the upper cuff starts. Luckily, the liner seems to be fairly waterproof on the outside. I just wipe down the inside of the shell with a rag, but I don't want that moisture sitting there. I open up the liners as much as possible to air them out. After the UT trip, the boots sat in my bag for about 36 hours before I could open them up. They were still pretty damp after that time. Just reinforces the need to air them out every ski day.