• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you guys tune up your equipment?

How often do you tune up your skiis?

• After every day of skiing

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Every 2-5 days

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Every 6-10 days

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Every 11-20 days

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • 21-30 days

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • >30

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

hrstrat57

I hot wax every day myself, just got done waxing the Head i supershapes now after the morning at WA (the hardscratch made them white bottom in just 2 hours of skiing!!!)....extra thick coat and in the closet they are going for the summer right next to my Volkl Explosiv Buddhas.....

I have a dedicated wax iron and a few of my own secret formulas8) depending on snow temp and how fast I want the bases....

When ski's need a tune I sell usually "em and buy new ones.....

hammer

Just got some tuning gear last season so I'm still trying to settle on a schedule, but I'd say I was waxing my skis every 2-5 ski days. I put storage wax (plain old paraffin wax) on the family's skis in the spring and just scraped that off and quickly checked the edges before our first day out. Don't know what my racing plans are for this season but for recreational skiing I'm still not sure how fussy I need to be.

snowmonster

Define tune?

If you mean inspecting edges and running a diamond stone over the edges, then I would answer every ski day.

If you mean diamond stone over the edges plus waxing, then I would say every three ski days or more often depending on snow conditions.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I normally have done once a year also... partially out of laziness.

What's the recommendation for in-between tunings? Other than using the wax and the iron, I hadn't done anything else special.

Cannonball

How often do you fill your gas tank? How often do you rake the yard? How often do you run your dishwasher? How often do you wash your hands? How often do you change your light bulbs? How often do you take a leak? How often do you tune your equipment?

These questions should all have the same answer: When I need to.

Scheduling these things on a timetable doesn't suit the purpose or the needs.

skidmarks

Define tune?

If you mean inspecting edges and running a diamond stone over the edges, then I would answer every ski day.

If you mean diamond stone over the edges plus waxing, then I would say every three ski days or more often depending on snow conditions.

I do the needed maintenance like edge work and waxing everytime I go on my race skis, I'm more slack on my other gear but do try to keep them waxed and burr free.

Edd

Every 6 to 10 ski days depending on what the surface conditions have been like.

Hawkshot99

Depends on how bored i get at work. If I am real busy than I will ski a couple days in a row with out tuning, unless I do some damage to them that needs attention.

But i usually have time to kill and will tune them when I am bored at work.

AngryHugo

Website
www.facebook.com
I typically wax and tune when they need it, but I find myself doing it more and more when I just want to hang out in the basement listening to music and drinking beer.