• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old is the oldest member of your family now......and historically?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Inspiration for this thread is that my grandpa is going to be 90 years young on February 4th. :beer:

Grandpa Chester is currently the oldest member of my family and is a massive inspiration to me because he refuses to allow himself get old. Last Summer after recovering from pneumonia and a UTI, the Doc's told him to relax and chill out and do crossword puzzles. He said FU to the doctors and found a way to clip off his catheter so he could still swim 10 laps a day in his pool. 89 years old swimming 200 yards a day in his pool.

He's taking after his Dad, my Great Grandfather Larry, who lived until 1 month shy of 99. Great Grampy Larry was still walking a mile each day into town to get the daily paper before he finally faded out at 98 and passed away a month before 99.

I feel so fortunate to have members of my family going for it as long as they possibly can.

Anyone else have some parents/grand parents who refuse to get old and inspire you with how much they still embrace life and refuse to throw in the towel?

ctenidae

My great grandmother died at 98, great aunts at between 85 and 90, grandmothers at 89 and 91, grandfathers late 60s/early 70s. My mother died at 61. My dad's 64, and so is the oldest extant member of my side. My wife's grandmother is 83, her other grandmother died at 87, but both grandfathers died in their 50s.

I just hope I die before I get old. I want to live a long time, I just have no intention of getting old.

Warp Daddy

have 2 !! A 96 yr young Aunt in NYC who as a rebel in the family was one of the early CAREER WOMEN . she had a huge career in social wrk in NYC , had a national rep in her field and travelled the globe For yrs as a consultant to other countries efforts in her field .She is still sharp as hell, actually juicy smart ,funny , irreverant and the keeper of family history ( especially the really GOOOOD stuff , that we NEVER heard about when we were kids ). She is an inspiration to all.

My wife has an Uncle 94 , fought in WW2 , looks late 60's has all his hair it is still dark dammit ! He has been and still is a weight lifter , has beaten cancer and 2 heart attacks and is just a great guy with a very warm demeanor .

Both these people are true inspirations and both are very young at heart and WITH it .

timm

Current living is an aunt and uncle, both 96. Not sure of the all time record, but they are probably it.

drjeff

My families oldest current living member is my 91.5 year old maternal grandmother.

Historically, I have had multiple family members on my mother's side that have lived past 100

Cheese

My grandfather made 93 but my dad's life was cut short by cancer at 82. Dad was still skiing multiple midweek days before he entered the hospital and even while in the hospital he scolded the nurses to hurry up and release him so that he could pack for his annual ski trip to Europe. He set the bar pretty high ...

Geoff

My mom is 80 and showing no signs of slowing down. My dad made it to age 84. I don't have any long-lived genes in my extended family.

I'm almost 55. I'll likely live to the average age for high income white males who have cradle to death health insurance. I'm doing my financial planning assuming I'll make it into my 90's though the odds are I won't make it that far. Mostly, that means I don't start collecting Social Security until age 70 and I live exclusively off my savings from the minute I chose to stop working until I hit 70. I have made the maximum contribution to Social Security for most of my career so I'll be collecting $38.5K tax free out of the Social Security system. I'm old enough that it's highly unlikely that they'll screw with it other than messing with cost of living adjustments. I should be able to live comfortably on that and mandatory IRA / 401-K distributions. My other assets and savings are for big ticket items like uncovered medical procedures, cars, and trips.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Currently living... not sure. My mother's mother is I believe in the mid to upper 80's.

Both of my parents died in their young 60's.

I've been working on my geneology using Ancestry and transposing a paper family tree I have and my dad's side goes all the way back to 1712! My 6th great grandfather. He had 12 kids!

Cornhead

My Mom and Dad are both doing well, 82, and 89. My Dad was a huge man by 1940's standards, 6'5" 245lbs, low body fat. We are now about the same height, 5' 11". Okay, he may be slouching a bit, but he has shrunk considerably, 89yrs is a long time to battle gravity! He's not as sharp as he used to be, but he's still pretty with it. I think the fact he had no bad habits, smoking, drinking, has served him well.

Hawkshot99

I have a uncle who is in his mid sixties. My family is definitely not known for long lives. On my Fathers side his father died in a fire when my dad was in college, and his mother from cancer in her early 60's. On my moms side her mother died when she was 9, and her father was mentally disabled by a severe car accident in his 50's and then died in his 60's.

Bene288

My great aunt on my mother's side is 99 going on 100 and is doing well. Still completely with it but just a little hard on hearing. As far as I know she is the longest living of anyone on that side. My grandmother on my father's side is pushing 86 and still will stay up chatting until 3am after watching the Bruins play. She delivers for Meals-On-Wheels for people 10+ years younger than she is.

Cornhead

My great aunt on my mother's side is 99 going on 100 and is doing well. Still completely with it but just a little hard on hearing. As far as I know she is the longest living of anyone on that side. My grandmother on my father's side is pushing 86 and still will stay up chatting until 3am after watching the Bruins play. She delivers for Meals-On-Wheels for people 10+ years younger than she is.

Ha, this reminded me of the one fly in the ointment in my parents marriage, my Dad had Rheumatic Fever when he was a child, he wasn't expected to live, he has ruptured eardrums as a result. His hearing was bad when he was younger, now, at 89, it sucks. He refuses to wear a hearing aid, this pisses off my Mom to no end, she constantly has to yell at him. I bought a really cool megaphone from Radio Shack a couple years ago as a gag Christmas gift to her, but returned it for fear of Dad not thinking it was funny. She wouldn't have to yell anymore, had cool siren sounds too, could have used them as a dinner bell! On the bright side, she can now talk about him behind his back right in front of him, and she does. Careful Mom, he's pretty good at reading lips, he's been doing it for years.

Bene288

Ha, this reminded me of the one fly in the ointment in my parents marriage, my Dad had Rheumatic Fever when he was a child, he wasn't expected to live, he has ruptured eardrums as a result. His hearing was bad when he was younger, now, at 89, it sucks. He refuses to wear a hearing aid, this pisses off my Mom to no end, she constantly has to yell at him. I bought a really cool megaphone from Radio Shack a couple years ago as a gag Christmas gift to her, but returned it for fear of Dad not thinking it was funny. She wouldn't have to yell anymore, had cool siren sounds too, could have used them as a dinner bell! On the bright side, she can now talk about him behind his back right in front of him, and she does. Careful Mom, he's pretty good at reading lips, he's been doing it for years.

I hear that (luckily). I think the megaphone is a great idea. That's the kind of thing my grandmother would find hilarious. She loves the Mel Brooks style of humor.

Stubbornness is a strong family trait, but it definitely gets worse the older you get. My aunt won't get a hearing aid. Saying "oh it'll just be a waste of money on me!" At 99 she's still concerned over conserving and saving money. I guess going through the Great Depression, WWII rationing, and a number of recessions would make you pretty frugal.

Mpdsnowman

My mom just turned 88 the other day. Healthy as an ox she is. Still drives not far but she gets to what she needs, very active around the house both inside and out. She also is my unofficial secretary. She is pretty computer literate for an 88 year old. She knows how to work and does so all my outlook, powerpoints and excels I may need...It may take her a little longer but she still gets it done lol...

She is now trying to figure out this Windows 8 lol..She gets frustrated but I tell her everyone right now is frustrated with it lol..

Warp Daddy

As an aside went skiing with 3 buddies yesterday , . 21 runs Mach Schnell on white ice in 5 below temps anf lord knows what the windchill was . two of. These guys will be friggen 80 OMG in April and the 3 rd is 78 and me i am the young snot and i will be 70 in May .

BTW im the only one that HAS TO PAY :sadwalk:Them sumbitches SKI FOR FREE :daffy:

SkiFanE

I just became an orphan a couple months ago :( An uncle is maybe 80, but he's dying of cancer. My oldest grandparent lived to 84, but she died 20 years ago. My oldest sibling is 58 (age of my Dad when he died).

FRITOLAYGUY

oldest was my great grandma she hit 105 and still could comminicate at that age. One grandparent died , smoked 2 packs a day for 51yrs the rest are still going we have 83, 90 and 91