• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Human remains found at Loon

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whoa. That is crazy. Any idea what part of the mountain they were found? That casts a big shadow on the project unfortunately.

ThatGuy

Wow, what could this be? Homicide? Freak accident?
This is a popular case on unsolved crime forums. If I recall correctly one of the prevailing theories was that she didn’t want to interact with police after a car accident and then ran into the woods and died.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is a popular case on unsolved crime forums. If I recall correctly one of the prevailing theories was that she didn’t want to interact with police after a car accident and then ran into the woods and died.
That's quite a ways from where she was last seen (Haverhill). She would have to walk pretty much up over Moosilauke, through Downtown Lincoln, and to the mountain. It is possible I guess.

If it was homicide then dumping a body at a ski area in the middle of winter is a pretty weird place to try and hide a body.

Dickc

That's quite a ways from where she was last seen (Haverhill). She would have to walk pretty much up over Moosilauke, through Downtown Lincoln, and to the mountain. It is possible I guess.

If it was homicide then dumping a body at a ski area in the middle of winter is a pretty weird place to try and hide a body.
Especially since the only construction I'm aware of is that Kanc8. The base area would have nowhere to hide a body in winter.

machski

Especially since the only construction I'm aware of is that Kanc8. The base area would have nowhere to hide a body in winter.
Not quite correct. They continue to expand the MTN Bike park this summer, including new trails opening. Most are machine shaped turns with built up berms and jumps. So it is possible the trail construction crew came across the remains. With where the Kanc8 project is right now, all the excavation has been long since done on that. Kanc8 is at regrading and reseeding disturbed zones now.

machski

I agree. To a grieving mom with no answers for almost 2 decades, this might seem close as it is the same highway #. But it might as well be two worlds apart from the accident location to Loon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree. To a grieving mom with no answers for almost 2 decades, this might seem close as it is the same highway #. But it might as well be two worlds apart from the accident location to Loon.
Yes, I don't envy the family. It sucks that there has been nothing for almost 20 years. I certainly wish them closure. Hate to say this does not seem like it (but maybe it is).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not quite correct. They continue to expand the MTN Bike park this summer, including new trails opening. Most are machine shaped turns with built up berms and jumps. So it is possible the trail construction crew came across the remains. With where the Kanc8 project is right now, all the excavation has been long since done on that. Kanc8 is at regrading and reseeding disturbed zones now.
Ah, good to know. So it was likely somewhere else on the mountain.

thebigo

The language in the various media reports has changed. WMUR now claims 'near loon' the globe 'in the area of loon'. Is there any construction at the hotel or condo developments?

Granite1

They are still developing the housing area over at South Peak. It could be in that area because 20 years ago that was all undeveloped woods.

Zand

Not sure which is more bizarre...this story or the one in Wyoming that's been coming out the past few days.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not sure which is more bizarre...this story or the one in Wyoming that's been coming out the past few days.
Have you read the thread on that one? Scotty had some very interesting articles and revelations on that one.

Zand

Which thread is that discussion in? I haven't seen it.

Oh nevermind...i never venture to the misc discussion threads lol.