• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley Ski Instructor Loses Student for Over an Hour

thetrailboss

Staff member
As a parent, if this happened then I would be rip shit. Glad it all worked out, but seems like something really went wrong.

Edd

This sent me down a rabbit hole with using Apple Air Tags on kids and I found this.

Odd that the parents claim they haven’t received an apology. Seems like step 1 after finding the kid safe and sound. The story linked in the OP claims GPS devices are used at other ski areas but not Deer Valley of all places?

KustyTheKlown

I got separated from my group at killington when I was under 10. The instructor was furious with me when I got found

ThatGuy

So the kid was in a tree well and got himself out…
Sounds like some serious negligence or theres more to the story.
I’m an instructor and I can imagine losing a kid like that.
Thoughts @ss20 ?

FBGM

I see this from all views -

Seems like DV has some explaining. Especially when tree well comes into the story. Could have ended way worse. The no apology or “free cookie” is also odd.

I’m assuming this was a larger group lesson? 1 instructor for many kids? Sounds horrible and I could totally see one wild child just bouncing off on their own before instructor even knows.

I don’t think police should have been notified. Patrol for sure. But cops would not be able to do much here.

At the same time, I used to be under 10 just off on my own skiing all day. But that was back in the day. People are all soft now.

Large group lessons, instructors not seasoned and used to that, busy weekends. All could set up for exactly this. I think the parents are blowing this up a bit but also I bet this happens more then we think

crystalmountainskier

Obviously instructor should have notified supervisors/patrol as soon as kid went missing. Children (and adults for that matter) getting separated from lesson is not unusual.

ThatGuy

Kids getting separated isn’t the unusual part. Its the apparent apathetic response from DV that’s concerning. Could’ve been a whole different story and if the kid had time to free himself from a tree well and walk away that tells you he was there a while.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I see this from all views -

Seems like DV has some explaining. Especially when tree well comes into the story. Could have ended way worse. The no apology or “free cookie” is also odd.
Agreed.
I’m assuming this was a larger group lesson? 1 instructor for many kids? Sounds horrible and I could totally see one wild child just bouncing off on their own before instructor even knows.
Yeah. Kind of wonder how many kids were in the group and the ratio of kids to instructors.

I did some research. This "lesson" appears to be a mere $310 plus $100 if the kid needs a ticket. With that kind of price, there is a presumption of a certain level of service and quality.

I don’t think police should have been notified. Patrol for sure. But cops would not be able to do much here.
The fact that "8 people" were searching a resort the size of Deer Valley is laughable. Granted the kid was somewhere on Flagstaff, but he could easily ski over to Lady Morgan or even back towards Silver Lake. Ski Patrol DEFINITELY should have been activated on this one. Seems really weird. Police? No, not yet IMHO.
Large group lessons, instructors not seasoned and used to that, busy weekends. All could set up for exactly this. I think the parents are blowing this up a bit but also I bet this happens more then we think
It should not happen at Deer Valley. Period. I've been saying that it has slipped and this is further evidence.

2Planker

Over 40+ years of Patrol, It's usually the parents that are lost.
Can't tell you how many times it's the parents that are in the wrong place, wrong lodge....

Many kids that get lost, say it was intentional to get away from ______.