• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter beta? (terrain & weekend crowd level)

abc

I've only done 3 days in the northeast this year. I'm itching to do some more but don't feel like driving far for mostly groomer skiing. Since much of the woods aren't in play even in northern VT/NH, I'd prefer to stay close to home and focus in the Catskills.

Last weekend at Plattekill, it's practically deserted. But terrain was very limited.

I wonder if there's a similarly significant drop off of skier visits to Hunter? Or are more skiers gone to Hunter because other areas are so limited?

Not being a big groomer ripper, I look for moguls if there's no powder. I know "normally" Hunter has quite a bunch of moguls. But in this year of strange weather, are they still letting the moguls grow or had flattened them all? (and if there're still moguls, what condition are they in?)

JimG.

Staff member
Skied Hunter Sunday. Not terribly crowded but I'm sure more so than Platty.

Probably my last run on Lower K for the season, after the warmth next week that puppy will be burned out good. Already a rock and pebble field 2/3 of the way down. Upper Crossover was bumped and skied well. And there is the bump course near 42nd Street.

Other than that Hunter is groomed flat as a pancake.

Domeskier

I hear they're having trouble with a guy dressed like a blueberry who buzzes other skiers at high speed. The bumps on upper crossover looked great this past weekend from the pics I saw.

tnt1234

I've only done 3 days in the northeast this year. I'm itching to do some more but don't feel like driving far for mostly groomer skiing. Since much of the woods aren't in play even in northern VT/NH, I'd prefer to stay close to home and focus in the Catskills.

Last weekend at Plattekill, it's practically deserted. But terrain was very limited.

I wonder if there's a similarly significant drop off of skier visits to Hunter? Or are more skiers gone to Hunter because other areas are so limited?

Not being a big groomer ripper, I look for moguls if there's no powder. I know "normally" Hunter has quite a bunch of moguls. But in this year of strange weather, are they still letting the moguls grow or had flattened them all? (and if there're still moguls, what condition are they in?)

Jay glades are 100% open.

catskillman

I hear they're having trouble with a guy dressed like a blueberry who buzzes other skiers at high speed. The bumps on upper crossover looked great this past weekend from the pics I saw.

He is a "blew" berry for sure. We all hope he gets blown off the mountain soon!!!

Edd

Tahoe is kicking ass too - what's your point?

The OP mentioned that much of the woods in VT/NH aren't in play, which is true. He's just pointing out one VT area where the woods are very much in play, which seems relevant.

goldsbar

From the Lower Hudson Valley, you can get to Tahoe easier than Jay and for not that much more $s. Alta probably in less time.

Hunter will likely be pretty good this weekend. Maybe not the following weekend, so get it while you can!

Funky_Catskills

From the Lower Hudson Valley, you can get to Tahoe easier than Jay and for not that much more $s. Alta probably in less time.

Hunter will likely be pretty good this weekend. Maybe not the following weekend, so get it while you can!

this weekend should be good... Still a bunch of snow...

rtjcbrown

I just booked the non-stop Jet Blue, JFK to Reno/Tahoe. 7:30 pm flight time lets you leave after work, then red-eye home makes for a perfect long weekend on the cheap.

Funky_Catskills

Gorgeous day at Hunter...
Mountain looks groomed perfectly from my house in the valley.. Bump runs still there..
Bright sunny... Blue bird...

abc

As the OP, I appreciate the mention of Jay's woods.

I also appreciate the mention of Reno/Tahoe. I'm tempted. In fact, much of the west are kicking @rse. I just need to find some decent air fare and room at last minute.

Still, Hunter will be close by, not much arrangements needed. Just jump in the car, can be there in 90 minutes. No lodging cost, no rental car, no extra bag fee... For the cost of a tank of gas, and whatever I can find in discount ticket. From the look of it, condition will be ok. Thanks to all who offered relevant information.

As it stands, I'm aiming more for Sunday than Saturday. Unless anyone thinks Saturday will be better for whatever (legit) reason.

As the OP, I appreciate the mention of Jay's woods.

I also appreciate the mention of Reno/Tahoe. I'm tempted. In fact, much of the west are kicking @rse. I just need to find some decent air fare and room at last minute.

Still, Hunter will be close by, not much arrangements needed. Just jump in the car, can be there in 90 minutes. No lodging cost, no rental car, no extra bag fee... For the cost of a tank of gas, and whatever I can find in discount ticket. From the look of it, condition will be ok. Thanks to all who offered relevant information.

As it stands, I'm aiming more for Sunday than Saturday. Unless anyone thinks Saturday will be better for whatever (legit) reason.
have some discounts for Hunter