• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Grooming

catskillman

Maybe they're trying to slow down the blueboy.

Blue Boy has been taking charm school lessons from a few regulars. He still skis to fast and too close, but he is not there as often it seems. OR he changes his outfit somewhat... in the spring he wears black, but you know his style.........

Creakyknees

Stop the Madness

Acknowledged. And I agree.

Hunter is now considered a Pocono mountain located a bit further north. Appealing to the make everything flat crowd.

I've pretty much given up the fight because I would rather ski at Wildcat anyway and I can go to Belleayre in the Cats on my NYS 3 in 1 when I want good bumps.

I now go to Hunter when I want to refine my boilerplate skills. To put it another way, rarely.

Yes JimG I have also given up the fight, no cooperation from the mountain is one of the reasons I don't coach anymore. "If you build it they will groom it".

I was pleasantly surprised two weeks ago on Saturday morning to see Milkyway was not groomed and had small bumps. Sunday morning was business as usual Milkyway was flat.

I will say the new owners have no problems turning on the snow guns during the day and that's great, but the new owners like to groom every nook and cranny.

Remember the small areas with bumps, skiers right of Eisenhower, bottom left ofthe Cliff, upper 42nd street, bottom right of Racers Edge, right side of Kennedy (under "B" lift), left side of Clairs, top left of Minya, now all these areas are flat. It baffles my mind how the groomers can groom so close to the fencing with destroying the fence.

Keeping bumps on the trails will slow people down. We have too many skiers who probably shouldn't be on skis going down at ludicrous speed.

JimG.

Staff member
Yes JimG I have also given up the fight, no cooperation from the mountain is one of the reasons I don't coach anymore. "If you build it they will groom it".

I was pleasantly surprised two weeks ago on Saturday morning to see Milkyway was not groomed and had small bumps. Sunday morning was business as usual Milkyway was flat.

I will say the new owners have no problems turning on the snow guns during the day and that's great, but the new owners like to groom every nook and cranny.

Remember the small areas with bumps, skiers right of Eisenhower, bottom left ofthe Cliff, upper 42nd street, bottom right of Racers Edge, right side of Kennedy (under "B" lift), left side of Clairs, top left of Minya, now all these areas are flat. It baffles my mind how the groomers can groom so close to the fencing with destroying the fence.

Keeping bumps on the trails will slow people down. We have too many skiers who probably shouldn't be on skis going down at ludicrous speed.

Very much enjoying moving around and sampling other mountains. My 14 year old had gotten totally bored at Hunter and getting out to different areas has renewed his enthusiasm. Mine too.

It is remarkable how Hunter manages to groom every square inch now. Peaks doesn't do that at their other areas like Wildcat or (to my surprise) Mt. Snow.