• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Today 1-19-14....Holy Crap it was busy!

St. Jerry

Even never-crowded Gore was packed.
Ski patrol was kept busy with a lot of accidents to clean up.

TropicTundR

Even never-crowded Gore was packed.
Ski patrol was kept busy with a lot of accidents to clean up.

Was at Hunter Saturday, with the light snow and heavy traffic. Everybody is jonezin for powder, well see what tomorrow brings.

JimG.

Staff member
Was at Hunter Saturday, with the light snow and heavy traffic. Everybody is jonezin for powder, well see what tomorrow brings.

Hunter was great on Saturday, not crowded till PM.

Went to Belleayre Sunday, a total zoo. Conditions at Hunter were far superior. Belleayre's snow depths are weak. I saw a million pebbles on groomed runs.

legalskier

Belleayre's snow depths are weak. I saw a million pebbles on groomed runs.

I skied it yesterday. You must have been on different trails than me. Here are the conditions I skied all day:
7 lift.jpg
There were a few pebbles here & there on a couple of trail sides, but nothing to be concerned about. They did an excellent job recovering from the rains.
At lunch I spoke with an ex-pat German family who live in NYC. They were at Hunter on Sunday & said it was packed but the uphill capacity kept things under control. They skied Windham on Saturday & said it was insane.

goldsbar

The Belleayre comment is out of sync with what I've seen the rest of the year - excellent coverage and recovery. Can't believe Gore was crowded. I've seen it crowded at the bottom but never at the other lifts. Can tell you first hand Killington was a zoo. Never waited that long but the trails were ultra-crowded. Not my thing. (For the record, back to K this year for the first time since high school; the famed Outer Limits I always heard about in high school -1980s - seemed no steeper than k27 which only feels a few degrees steeper than the Belleayre ridge. Go figure.)

All these crowds for marginal man made?!?

skiking4

The Belleayre comment is out of sync with what I've seen the rest of the year - excellent coverage and recovery. Can't believe Gore was crowded. I've seen it crowded at the bottom but never at the other lifts. Can tell you first hand Killington was a zoo. Never waited that long but the trails were ultra-crowded. Not my thing. (For the record, back to K this year for the first time since high school; the famed Outer Limits I always heard about in high school -1980s - seemed no steeper than k27 which only feels a few degrees steeper than the Belleayre ridge. Go figure.)

IMO k27 much steeper than Outerlimits and anything at Belleayre

ScottySkis

All these crowds for marginal man made?!?[/QUOTE]

Crowds were for new snow that fell on Saturday and holiday weekend. Went to Elk it was crowded for Elk but that not a lot compared to others hills.

steamboat1

OL is not the steepest trail at Killington although it is pretty steep. K-27 at Hunter is steep but only for a short stretch. Not nearly as long as OL.

Skied Catamount Sun.for the 1st time in over 40 years. It was crowded but not crazy crowded. Lift lines in the morning gave way to walk on lifts in the afternoon. Skiing was alright in the morning but got scraped off by afternoon. I guess they picked up 2"-3" Sat. night/Sun. morning.

Last edited:

Wavewheeler

Can tell you first hand Killington was a zoo. Never waited that long but the trails were ultra-crowded. Not my thing. (For the record, back to K this year for the first time since high school; the famed Outer Limits I always heard about in high school -1980s - seemed no steeper than k27 which only feels a few degrees steeper than the Belleayre ridge. Go figure.)

I was at Killington this time last week this. We drove up on Monday and saw very little snow left on the ground when we arrived. To make things worse, it rained all day Tuesday. Amazingly enough when we got there Wednesday, there was snow left on the trails and we had springtime conditions and everything was n ice and soft, which wasn't bad at all. Overnight Wednesday into Thursday it snowed all day and we got about 2-3 inches, which made it look and feel a lot like winter and improved conditions but unfortunately it also got very foggy.

Friday was partly cloudy, the coldest day at just below freezing and it was a bit icy. There was a noticeable increase in people on the slopes but if you kept off the main peak it wasn't bad at all. I skied mostly Superstar and Skye peak that day.

They were blowing snow like crazy on Thursday and Friday as well as grooming the entire time we were there so no doubt they were expecting a big crowd for MLK weekend and we got the benefit of all that prep work. The trails were actually in good shape.
We left to go home Friday night and if the line of cars we saw heading east on Rt 4 was an indication of what was to come then it was indeed a zoo at K. Glad we were leaving as everyone was going!

Considering what the weather was like before we hit the slopes the skiing wasn't bad at all. Mostly groomed, some granular and more packed powder than you'd expect thanks to the snowfall on Wednesday night and Thursday.

I swear by midweek skiing. It's so much more pleasant. Just dealing with the crowds on Friday reminded me of that and I'll bet it got worse from there.

steamboat1

Killington is two different ski areas. There's the crazy crowded K on weekends & then the virtually empty K during the week. Fortunately I ski the empty K during the week. I've found they take just as good care of the mountain during the week as they do preparing for weekends. I would be there now if not for the crazy cold weather this week.

Wavewheeler

It's gotten even better now that everything is now open during the week, even the new Peak Lodge. We went up there on Thursday for lunch but unfortunately it was foggy. By Friday we didn't even bother because of the crowds on Killington Peak. I started there in the morning but then headed to Superstar and Skye, which was much better.

We try and ski Monday-Thursday when we go and it's great. Ski down the mountain and right on to the lift. It was like that on Friday too once we got off the peak. I don't ski weekends anywhere. I hate crowds.