• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I love solo chair rides

Vter

I really never got the “let’s ride the lift together…, Thing
I’ve been skiing a really long time & yes I still rip…and I like people, new & old friends, however I like solo chair rides. I don’t want to talk about your equipment, the conditions, where to ski next, where to eat, your boss, your job, your kids, what you do & what you don’t, Vail or your Western adventures. Been there and more x1000’s
I want to be in Zen (skiing) taking it all in…I usually fake fooling with my boots or just say “I smoke”

Come on now, bring it on ! I’m a great social person who is loved by many, so don’t try the anti sociAl route

Smellytele

I’ve been skiing a really long time & yes I still rip…and I like people, new & old friends, however I like solo chair rides. I don’t want to talk about your
I want to be in Zen (skiing) taking it all in…I usually fake fooling with my boots or just say “I smoke”
equipment, the conditions, where to ski next, where to eat, your boss, your job, your kids, what you do & what you don’t, Vail or your Western adventures. Been there and more x1000’s
Come on now, bring it on ! I’m a great social person who is loved by many, so don’t try the anti sociAl route
Why are you on this site as all that is talked about is what you don’t want to talk about.
Nice that you are looking for a fight as well.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
With long lift lines, riding single is just rude. If you want to ride alone, go to Mad River Glen or ski weekdays. I remember in the days of double chairs and 40-minute lines, the way a skier riding single got pelted with snowballs.

If you want to be unsociable, plug in some earbuds and/or don't respond to any attempt at conversation. IMO, it's still rude, but at least you're not holding up a long line.

KustyTheKlown

i dont know who this person is and don't like his tone but generally agree with his point. if its reasonable to ride solo, i ride solo. obviously if its crowded I'm in the singles line taking whatever chair they give me. but if things are generally quiet i am quite annoyed when someone tries to join me, and i intentionally hang back to avoid joining others. when its reasonable to do so. i don't want to stop my music to chit chat with strangers, and i do want to smoke pot without being in some strangers face about it.

thebigo

same as KTK, would never make someone wait to ride up alone but also not grouping up with a stranger midweek if chairs are going up empty. Spend my entire life talking at a phone, laptop or kids. Five minutes of silence is serenity. If you want to shoot the shit, go to the bar.

raisingarizona

I’ve been skiing a really long time & yes I still rip…and I like people, new & old friends, however I like solo chair rides. I don’t want to talk about your equipment, the conditions, where to ski next, where to eat, your boss, your job, your kids, what you do & what you don’t, Vail or your Western adventures. Been there and more x1000’s

That's a really fantastic story. Thanks you for sharing!

Vter

“Nice story…” lol, That’s what my post is about & not to piss people off. It’s just a point of thought nobody ever addresses.
I ski resorts almost always Empty, I give up crowded “Pow” days, just to rip the crud while empty. I enjoy chopped up pow. I don’t want to get 1st chair or last. Although I’ve been know to take a late chair to hike/skin off the piste, hang with peeps or by myself with a pack of beers and watch it all shut down. Patrol out west gives a high-five seeing me (us) sitting on rocks and ridges. In the East, it’s covert, dive & hide.
In the past I’ve had the opportunity to Ski Alone. I like it, do what I want when I want. It’s very sweet to sit on a chair with empty chairs in front and nobody in the chairs behind just to think, look, listen or blast music in your ears while puff’s a dub.
I apologize to those who think I suggested taking a chair to myself on a crowded day, never has or would happen. However, I’m not going to “group-up because you feel that’s what you need to do. Empty Chairs are great, they go round & round in a loop, check it out sometime.
😎

Vter

But then again, there are those of you who make it up to Greens for a mid-weeker, 2nd homer…but please just don’t complain that my solo-ass F450 with plow is in an empty lot at 10:00 after plowing for you since 3:30 and I want to ride a solo chair without making one person wait ! 🌮

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Anecdotally: I was at Ragged Mountain last spring on a very empty day. With the 6-person chair and most chairs going up empty, I asked people who were one chair in front of me if they wanted company and was surprised that close to 3/4 of them said they'd prefer to ride alone.

On another occasion, I was loading at the Killington Skyeship mid-station on a reasonably crowded weekday. The upcoming gondola (pre-COVID) had only 5-people in it (it is an 8-pack). After loading my skis, I tried to get in. They refused to move over which resulted in the door breaking; everyone had to leave the car. The lift was stopped while the attendants tried to figure out what to do with the broken car and everyone was on the gondola, in line became as well as the 6 of us in the now broken car became the losers.

KustyTheKlown

^you should take the hint and realize that most people and groups would prefer you didnt join them if the situation doesn't call for combining groups as a courtesy to everyone to move along a crowded situation

jimk

“Nice story…” lol, That’s what my post is about & not to piss people off. It’s just a point of thought nobody ever addresses.
I ski resorts almost always Empty, I give up crowded “Pow” days, just to rip the crud while empty. I enjoy chopped up pow. I don’t want to get 1st chair or last. Although I’ve been know to take a late chair to hike/skin off the piste, hang with peeps or by myself with a pack of beers and watch it all shut down. Patrol out west gives a high-five seeing me (us) sitting on rocks and ridges. In the East, it’s covert, dive & hide.
In the past I’ve had the opportunity to Ski Alone. I like it, do what I want when I want. It’s very sweet to sit on a chair with empty chairs in front and nobody in the chairs behind just to think, look, listen or blast music in your ears while puff’s a dub.
I apologize to those who think I suggested taking a chair to myself on a crowded day, never has or would happen. However, I’m not going to “group-up because you feel that’s what you need to do. Empty Chairs are great, they go round & round in a loop, check it out sometime.
😎
Taking these posts for face value and not as a troll, I'd be your worst nightmare for a chairlift companion. I am very social on the slopes and love to yak, yak, yak on the lifts. As an older skier I enjoy skiing with others. It motivates me and makes me feel safer. I skied 61 days last season and probably 40 of them were spent with one or more other friends. I appreciate the Zen idea and had some really good days skiing alone last season. But I enjoy a good day skiing with friends even more, especially when we're feeding off of each other's energy and tackling some fun terrain or snow conditions. I'll admit there are rare occasions when I ski with someone and I just don't click with them due to some kind of incompatibility. I can only imagine how many people are thinking that after spending a day skiing with me. :p

Hawk

I end up skiing alone sometimes when my wife is working or I out last her. In general I ski with her most of the time. She is 100% Irish so conversation is expeted with me or anybody else on the lift. LOL When I do ski alone the novilty of being on the lift by myself alone wares off in about 2 or 3 rides and then I look to go up with somebody to amuse me. Too each thier own. I am not introverted so techically I do not understand people that want to ski or ride the lift alone. I also ski the woods most of the time so I definately do not want to do that alone so it works out.

MadPadraic

On a non-crowded day, I never pair up with the people in front unless they actively do that thing to make space indicating that they want company. However, if it is, say, 3:34 and that one chair might be the difference between getting in 3 more runs vs 2, I will assert my right to be share a chair.

cdskier

I am not introverted so techically I do not understand people that want to ski or ride the lift alone.
I'm introverted (although I've recently discovered that some people are surprised by that...). Being introverted, I have a hard time understanding why some people feel a constant need to talk. I'm certainly not against conversations on lifts as I've had plenty of good ones over the years with people. But I also am completely comfortable riding the lift alone for extended periods of time and just enjoying nature and the quiet on the mountain.

Granite1

What's your relationship status, are you male/female. If you were in one of your solo chair ride moods and another hot looking single skier that you were attracted to wanted to ride up with you..what would you do then?

Vter

Why are you on this site as all that is talked about is what you don’t want to talk about.
Nice that you are looking for a fight as well.
Says The Ass
This whole site is about complaining about everything that has even has the most remote relation to Skiing