• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to ride/ski Sunday/Monday, hate crowds though. Magic? Plattekill?

MadMadWorld

The days of Magic being crowd free are gone. The place is a TGR magette fest on powderdays now. Good for the mountain; bad if you don't like pretentious crowds.

Sounds like that was a bit personal. I've met a couples guys but nothing what you described. Magic has probably the most friendly clientele in my mind and the TGR guys I met are fun to be around.

RustyGroomer

In my experience, yes it is. Or maybe I don't ski there often enough and my sampling is too small. Who knows... Don't get me wrong I love the place and no doubt those mid-2000's business levels were unsustainable for the mountain.
It's still probably where Im going tomorrow if I can manage the day off; and I'll gladly eat my words if Im wrong about crowds...
No big deal. Just want to be clear, far from all bro/brah's from TGR. Yes, there are a few of us. Yes, I post a bit over there. Even my friends who post on TGR are not one bit like that. Most of them are there every weekend w/families, etc.. NOT just when it snows. You're going to have an unreal day tomorrow. I can't get up til night. Saturday right thru next week for me. Can't wait.

drjeff

It is? I'll be sure to stay away from the 5 or so TGR posters then. It was crowded last weekend due to the race. If anyone comes out, say hello. Ask for Greg. There's pics of me on here in Magic threads. I may have toasted my old skis last weekend. Look for yellow DPS this weekend/week.

FYI, the U14 race that was there last Saturday has about 160 starters in the Southern VT Council, and that's before you add in coaches, parents, gate keepers, race officials, etc, whereas the U10 race that was there on Sunday typically has about 90 kids start before you add in all the other folks there with the race. That's a bunch of extra chairs on the Black that were filled for sure!

Unless there are any make up races that get scheduled for Magic, there aren't any VARA/So Vt Council races of any age group, scheduled for Magic for over a month

jaysunn

@MadMad

Sounds like that was a bit personal. I've met a couples guys but nothing what you described. Magic has probably the most friendly clientele in my mind and the TGR guys I met are fun to be around.

Magic has not been hidden for a while, and I agree that the TGR guys that venture to Magic are all ok. At least in my opinion. Most arseholes, like me, love HSQ's

Cornhead

Drink the Platty Kool-Aid, it's yummy! Seriously, 90% of the time you ski right onto the lifts, I've waited no more than 5 minutes ever, and that may be a stretch. If you like to feel like you're a member of The Yellowstone Club East, Platty is the place to be, the skiing is awesome too, best in the Cats IMHO.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

x10003q

Plattekill should be your first choice. As mentioned, no crowds, no lines and great conditions and terrain.

View down Blockbuster
P1040191.jpg

mlkrgr

Thinking of rolling the dice on Loon on Monday but I might regret it. Bus co going there will give a $10 off coupon of they cancel and it is still not a confirmed go right now. They need 20 by Friday 11 am to make it a confirmed go. If they don't go, I can put myself in for 2/22 at Jay which is a confirmed go right now.

jrmagic

Both are open on Monday. Plattekill will be the least crowded and after this storm should be 100% open with great conditions.
Magic will likely have lift lines if they haven't gotten the Red Chair on line yet.
Can't speak for Platty but lines at Magic should not be a big deal on Monday. Maybe a couple of peak hours of 10 minutes +/- 2 but by lunchtime there will be negligible lines.

Jem

Even on a holiday weekend with only 2 lifts servicing the summit, plate wouldn't be too crowded? Never been there before, are the intermediate runs at least fairly long and decent?

ScottySkis

Even on a holiday weekend with only 2 lifts servicing the summit, plate wouldn't be too crowded? Never been there before, are the intermediate runs at least fairly long and decent?
You might see a full base lodge, I been here a lot even X Mas week longest lines is few seconds to a minute or two at the most. Lots of great snow and more tonight so condtions will be great. Bell has more blue runs then Platty here their trail map.
platekill201314.jpg

Jem

You might see a full base lodge, I been here a lot even X Mas week longest lines is few seconds to a minute or two at the most. Lots of great snow and more tonight so condtions will be great. Bell has more blue runs then Platty here their trail map.
Thanks. Bell looks nice. Do you think the crowds there would be tolerable this weekend?

mlkrgr

Less so than other mountains; should be an extremely busy weekend with all this snow anywhere you go so the off the beaten path mountains make more sense.

Jem

Less so than other mountains; should be an extremely busy weekend with all this snow anywhere you go so the off the beaten path mountains make more sense.

Thx. maybe we'll check that out. Don't usually ride on Pres day wknd cuz of the crowds, but would really like to hit all this fresh snow. I'm sure Hunter will be a disaster.