• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ICY Out there!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Please be careful driving, it's VERY icy out there. There are quite a few problems out there. I'm fortunate...I don't have to go to work today and I can wait until later to leave the house.

Just a few minutes ago there was an accident in front of my house. Someone slid off the road and hit the cement wall in front of my house. Fortunately all in the car are fine. This wall gets hit at least once a year...but if the wall wasn;t there it would probably be my house...so the wall stays! I have heard of many more as well.

skibum1321

Surprisngly the commute down Rte 3 and 495 was relatively smooth today. It was a little slow but no major backups. I expected much worse. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing for the drive up to VT tonight.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeeaah, apparently work was called off today for me. I'm still here though with like two other people, apparently I haven't made it on the calling list yet.

Ah well, I got sheit to do anyway, last day before I go on vacation. Maybe I'll take this oppourtunity to find out just how good our hallways are for office chair bowling...

djspookman

yeah, its a little slick here in Southern NH too, but I'm noticing that a lot of people here don't know how to drive in snow here, or they don't have snow tires, so that's not helping at all:) (end of rant :) ) Oh well, the drive up to Sugarbush tonight should be fun!:)

dave

ChileMass

Just got done scraping a half-inch of ice off my driveway so my wife can go to work. The main roads are just wet, but my sloping driveway was pretty treacherous. I'm working at home today....

JimG.

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Just got done scraping a half-inch of ice off my driveway so my wife can go to work. The main roads are just wet, but my sloping driveway was pretty treacherous. I'm working at home today....

My driveway (near Poughkeepsie, NY) had a solid inch of black ice on it this morning. It's about 300' long and has a decent uphill pitch. My Outback made it out OK, but anything less than 4wd ain't making it up or down that.

I was thus surprised that the roads are just wet and my commute was totally uneventful.

bvibert

Staff member
It wasn't too bad down here in CT when I left the house at around 7:30. Most of the streets were just wet with a slushy mess in the middle and on the sides. Our driveway was a little hairy though...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
bvibert said:
It wasn't too bad down here in CT when I left the house at around 7:30. Most of the streets were just wet with a slushy mess in the middle and on the sides. Our driveway was a little hairy though...

Yeah I nearly killed myself or put a serious hold on my ski season when I went out onto my front stone steps and didn't realize there was a 1/4" of solid and wet ice built up on them.

Fortunately I didn't fall... which is very un-Marc.

frozencorn

Anyone got any ideas what the roads might look like later tonight? Leaving Boston around 10 to get to Madison, 93 > 16 If anyone's been that way at all today, gimmee a holla. Like I said, we're leaving late, so we should avoid most of the storm, but just curious....

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Nice and clear here in NJ....last night the rain froze as soon as it hit the grounf though...

Threw a bucnh of salt out last night

Gonna hit 55 here...

70 degrees to 10 degrees to 55 degrees, all in 1 month

Can you imagine if an Alberta clipper hit hat storm? We'd be talking feet of snow

Terry

4 inches of nice dry powder here so far. Looks like we might miss the change over! :beer: