• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If you're thinking about going to the massif

fbrissette

I suggest you rethink your plan.

Le Massif has reportedly lost 17 millions $ over the past 10 years (ski operation only) and have made some cutbacks earlier this season (closing lifts and one chalet monday to wednesday). They're also trying to get employees to 'participate' in the cost saving plan.

Result, the union rejected the latest proposals and got a 5-day strike mandate. This 5-day strike can be divided into hours and be used at any time.

It is very easy to imagine several 1 or 2 hours mini-strikes during busy periods.

So sad for what is arguably the best mountain in the north-east.
209080-plus-refuser-offre-patronale-syndiques.jpg

Edd

Every season I contemplate going there. Sorry to hear they're having such trouble.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

That's too bad. I was very seriously considering a trip to Mont Sainte Anne next year, and am concerned that this will push more people onto their slopes.

xlr8r

I'm also someone who has dreamed of getting there one of these years. It seems interesting that they have invested a ton in on mountain facilities, but there still seems to be very little lodging development around the resort.

crank

They built a gondola from the train tracks to the base. I am sure that cost a few million dollars for no good reason. Shame as it is a great ski area and the owner should be able to afford to lose plenty of money.

Rowsdower

They built a gondola from the train tracks to the base. I am sure that cost a few million dollars for no good reason. Shame as it is a great ski area and the owner should be able to afford to lose plenty of money.

The train was marketed to get patrons from Quebec City to the resort. Not sure how well it worked out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fbrissette.......what do you think Massif needs to do increase it's popularity to near the level of Mount St. Anne? From the sounds of it, St. A does a pretty good business. Massif is further from QC, but not terribly so. If the skiing is so much better, why don't more skiers make the extra drive?

fbrissette

Fbrissette.......what do you think Massif needs to do increase it's popularity to near the level of Mount St. Anne? From the sounds of it, St. A does a pretty good business. Massif is further from QC, but not terribly so. If the skiing is so much better, why don't more skiers make the extra drive?

Honestly i don't know. Ste-Anne has a long history, it has a lot more beds nearby, and it has excellent mountain biking and cross-country tracks so it runs strong at least 9 months of the year. It is also closer to Quebec city.

Le Massif did the most important thing IMO when they built access from the top so that it would save a solid 30 minutes extra drive around and to the base of the mountain. Even then, Mont-Ste-Anne is 35 minutes away from Quebec city compared to 65 minutes to the Massif. May not seem much to many of us who are used to driving long distances, but it is twice as far. Reportedly they have 175000 skier visits on average and would need to reach 200000 to balance things so it is not mission impossible.

The train is relatively expensive and the problem is that for most, you have to drive to the station. The time to get to the station carry your skis and board the train, and you could already be skiing in Mont Ste-Anne.

Finally, I prefer the Massif for two main reasons, the views are phenomenal and unique (the pics don't do justice) and the backcountry opportunities. It also has a huge true skiable vertical (2500'). But for most skiers Ste-Anne is just as good.

VTKilarney

As someone who is in the planning stages of a trip to Quebec, Mont Sainte Anne appealed to me because there are a ton of rooms and services at the base. You can also easily visit Quebec City on an off day, or in the evening.

Le Massif seems like a great mountain, but as a vacation destination Mont Sainte Anne was very appealing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any opportunity for waterside base develop / integration to the skiing facilities at Le Massif? How close is it to the water? Easy transfer gondola?

Seems to me that with it's proximity to the St. Lawrence, there is a prime set up there to have a marina and adjacent hotel making it a prime year round resort destination.

fbrissette

Any opportunity for waterside base develop / integration to the skiing facilities at Le Massif? How close is it to the water? Easy transfer gondola?

Seems to me that with it's proximity to the St. Lawrence, there is a prime set up there to have a marina and adjacent hotel making it a prime year round resort destination.

The mountain base is literally 150 yards away from the water, but 100 feet above sea level. They need to make it a holiday destination somehow because skiers coming to ski one day is not cutting it. As VTKilarney mentioned, Mt Ste-Anne is a better destination resort, and during a weekly vacation, you can easily ski a couple of days at the Massif. So the Massif would get two daily discounted ski tickets out of it whereas St-Anne get the hotels and food revenues.

SIKSKIER

I don't know why I have this bias against a ski area you can park at the top.I understand how it occurs with the topography at Massif though.Maybe its because I was learning to ski at an upside mt in NH (King Ridge) where you only parked at the top.

fbrissette

I don't know why I have this bias against a ski area you can park at the top.I understand how it occurs with the topography at Massif though.Maybe its because I was learning to ski at an upside mt in NH (King Ridge) where you only parked at the top.

It is weird but there is one big advantage. Once you catch your first ride up, you're warmed up and don't freeze as much.