• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon/Epic advanced purchase deadlines may need extension?

Orca

Superpass advanced purchase deadlines are only a little more than a month away.

Reasons that people may not elect to purchase:

1. People feeling financially uncertain.

2. Travel is problematic, and it may be that way for a long time. Consider China has ~80k cases and 1.2B people, which is 0.008%, no kidding. That leaves 99.992% of people still to get it, and that is just in China. It will take a long time for the virus to work its way, whatever that means. This thing will be around next fall, winter, and spring. Especially so if it shows seasonality.

3. Ski areas are shutting down for the season, leaving people with the sense that any pre-purchase is vulnerable. You can imagine my delight to be sitting on 7 advanced purchase tickets at Sugarbush and MRG.

For these reasons, superpass sales may be extremely light. The folks selling them may want to extend their deadlines to make the advanced purchase risk more palatable to the buyer.

Thoughts?

bumpsAndTrees

So that’s why all the resorts are so crowded — all those Chinese have been buying Ikon passes!

Zermatt

Do you know what the current deadlines are?

I've been thinking about this too and want to wait to the last minute before committing.

Orca

Do you know what the current deadlines are?

I've been thinking about this too and want to wait to the last minute before committing.

The Ikon pass purchase date for the best rates is April 21.

BenedictGomez

It will take a long time for the virus to work its way, whatever that means. This thing will be around next fall, winter, and spring. Especially so if it shows seasonality.

It will be around for many decades, but it wont be nearly as bad next year as it is this year due to conferred immunity to many of the masses, as well as the fact we'll have a vaccine by next year, which every intelligent person > 60 will get. Better days are ahead.

Zermatt

Ikon has been dead silent, no updates since mid March. People calling continue to report that Ikon employees are saying the original deadline stands.

If Ikon does not provide any updates/extension I may simply throw in the towel for skiing next season. My family would happily take a trip to Hawaii instead. As consumers we apparently have no voice with Ikon. 500+ plus comments on their last instagram post are all pretty much the same.

Our plan was to ski at Revelstoke next Feb break. RMR loves Ikon (not so much for JH). I called them today to ask that they begin contacting Ikon, as their voice might count for more. I told them that without clear guidance from Ikon I would not be coming back next season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ikon has been dead silent, no updates since mid March. People calling continue to report that Ikon employees are saying the original deadline stands.

If Ikon does not provide any updates/extension I may simply throw in the towel for skiing next season. My family would happily take a trip to Hawaii instead. As consumers we apparently have no voice with Ikon. 500+ plus comments on their last instagram post are all pretty much the same.

Our plan was to ski at Revelstoke next Feb break. RMR loves Ikon (not so much for JH). I called them today to ask that they begin contacting Ikon, as their voice might count for more. I told them that without clear guidance from Ikon I would not be coming back next season.

I think that most Alterra folks are unemployed right now. At last check at least.

I imagine that at the end of this week we will hear that the deadline has been extended. Same with Epic. But then again they need the revenue. I'm sure that they are weighing the options.

If they stick with the original deadline I imagine that they will lose a lot of customers. They probably will also lose a lot of goodwill as well. But considering that there is a lot of hate/love for both companies that's nothing new.....

Jcb890

I have to imagine the demand for a skiing/riding season pass is not very high right now. You'd have to think the best business decision to make is to postpone all of the price increase dates. Many people who are receiving stimulus checks will be using it to help pay bills or rent/mortgage, not paying for a pass.

Bumpsis

I probably will not renew our IKON passes for the 2020/2021 season. It was fun to have it this season but now, too many variables that are up in the air and they won't be determined anytime soon. The damned virus will be with us for a good while and there probably will not be vaccine for it until early 2021.

I'll be happy to ski my two favorite places, Sugarloaf and Cannon, no IKON pass needed. Sugarloaf usually has a sale on its Summit passes late in the fall (3 lift tixs included plus significant discount off "walk-up" rates) and you just can't beat the two-fers (Tu, Th) that Cannon will probably continue to have next season. I usually aim to ski at mid week days.
We'll just forgo our western ski trip next year. C'est la vie

machski

Alterra just extended the early deadline to May 27th and is doubling the returning passholder discounts (base was $50 now $100, Full was $100 now $200). Still no change on refund policy, so buy at your own risk I guess. But if you are returning, $599/799 isn't much to ask to pay I don't think. The Base + for JHMR and Aspens is still a thing, seems really dumb though as a full is now just $50 more than a returning base + purchase.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

Alterra just extended the early deadline to May 27th and is doubling the returning passholder discounts (base was $50 now $100, Full was $100 now $200). Still no change on refund policy, so buy at your own risk I guess. But if you are returning, $599/799 isn't much to ask to pay I don't think. The Base + for JHMR and Aspens is still a thing, seems really dumb though as a full is now just $50 more than a returning base + purchase.

Excellent changes from my perspective. Renewal discount increase is a partial offset to the season being cut short and new deadline well into May will hopefully allow the winter season prospects to become much more clear.

Also....for everyone who said you'd get a refund if they don't open next season....incorrect. The FAQ section clearly addresses, stating that IKON passes are non-refundable. So, you can keep living in a rosy world where you always get your money back and insurance companies pay for things they don't cover. I accept the reality of business though, customers are just creditors a long way down the line in priority of repayment.

Last edited:

Kleetus

Just saw this in my inbox from Steamboat. Looks like May 27 extension:

To Skiers and Riders Everywhere:

We hope this note finds you and those close to you healthy and well. As we all look ahead, we invite you to join the Ikon Pass community. For winter 20/21, we have given you more time to take advantage of spring discounts and consider your purchase until May 27, 2020.

These are the days when we are particularly grateful for all those who share our devotion to snow and find camaraderie within this passionate community. During this time off the slopes, we wish you and your snow crew continued connection and enthusiasm and we look forward to the days when all of us get out there again and enjoy adventures together.

We thank you for your enduring love of the mountains. Sweet days await us.

Be well. Your friends at Steamboat & Ikon Pass

p_levert

Actually, this is not a great deal for the Ikon base people. I am pretty sure I paid $599 a year ago to renew my Ikon pass. So they raised the pass price by $50 and increased the renewal bonus, and we're back to the same place.

And, actually, it's a closet price *increase*, cuz we don't get JH and Aspens for 20/21. (we do get more SB)

But, sure, I love my Ikon pass and I will renew.

machski

Actually, this is not a great deal for the Ikon base people. I am pretty sure I paid $599 a year ago to renew my Ikon pass. So they raised the pass price by $50 and increased the renewal bonus, and we're back to the same place.

And, actually, it's a closet price *increase*, cuz we don't get JH and Aspens for 20/21. (we do get more SB)

But, sure, I love my Ikon pass and I will renew.
You also get more Stratton on a base this coming season (unlimited with theblackout dates vs just 5 days still blacked out this season). And honestly, for the previous renewal base to base +, now you can buy a full for the same money. Ikon's deals are actually quite good. They'd almost have to give them away to be too much better now.