• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ikon pass details released

boston_e

That's not how I see it. If Killington sold 1,000 Maxpass add-ons, this will be in huge decline since 599/899 for an Ikon pass is a heck of a lot more than $329. I just don't see many people willing to pay 599/899 on top of their season pass price. So if Killington can participate in a $400 MC pass, they could potentially do quite well with it. That's what I was thinking.

Correct. A lot more people will buy a $329 add on to their pass than a full second pass for $899.

Jully

It seems likely to me that the MC expands to include more resorts, such as Kmart, Stratton and Winter Park. Maybe even 3 free days instead of just two. This would be a way to expand into the Maxpass add on space, which I think sold well.

This is 100% conjecture by me, but it does make some economic sense.

More areas probably (hopefully). Doubt we see more days though. Alterra has some influence over the MC I would assume through their business partnership with Henry Crown and Co and many Alterra partners will be on the MC this year. Doubt they'd want to increase days with the base Ikon offering just 5 per resort.

gladerider

Had it not been for the max pass there is no chance I would have gone and bought 3 days of lift tickets for my family so all of that would have been zero revenue. Instead we would have gone to K and skied on our K passes (where we are more likely to pack lunch / not forget a neck gaiter where it is our home mountain).

this.

my crew had been heading up to Jay every prez week for the last 4 years. i bought maxpass for my family for the first time this year and i convinced my entire crew to head to Killington this year. they knew i had the maxpass and selfishly motivated but they were fine. our crew is 16 people in total. we rented slope side condos and all my crew bought lift tix and ski school. each family dropped several thousands for the trip. if i didn't have the maxpass, we prolly would have headed somewhere else.

lift ticket based revenue is only a part of the ski resorts income. of course maxpass increases the overall revenue.

p_levert

Everyone should note an important difference between the Mountain Collective and the soon to be defunct Maxpass. The MC provides a 50% discount on the walkup ticket rate after you have used your free days. This is an important benefit and Maxpass didn't have this. Of course, many MC resorts charge absurd walkup rates in the $150-$200 range, so they're hardly giving away tickets. But it's an important benefit nonetheless.

Jcb890

Everyone should note an important difference between the Mountain Collective and the soon to be defunct Maxpass. The MC provides a 50% discount on the walkup ticket rate after you have used your free days. This is an important benefit and Maxpass didn't have this. Of course, many MC resorts charge absurd walkup rates in the $150-$200 range, so they're hardly giving away tickets. But it's an important benefit nonetheless.
It doesn't come close to off-setting the difference between 2 and 5 tickets. MC's big draw was the difference in mountains and big-time resorts like Jackson Hole, etc.

djd66

Of course, many MC resorts charge absurd walkup rates in the $150-$200 range, so they're hardly giving away tickets.

Yep - I can say this first hand. I just came back from a week at Aspen/Snowmass and took "Full" advantage of the MC 50% discount. The day rate was $160 - so the MC price was $80/day. It was still a significant savings over the price had i bought a multi day ticket.

boston_e

True, although 2 days vs 5 days in the max pass. And MC with only one northeast resort is tough for the New England based skier.

KustyTheKlown

I've sampled the big passes. 1 year on epic. 1 year on MC. 3 years on MAX.

MC had the best mountains but the worst deals/details. I spent so much money out of pocket that season.

Epic didn't have Stowe yet, so my 20 western days were covered but I was scrounging for deals back east

MAX is my clear favorite.

Ikon will be a combo of Max and MC, and while the price is a bit steeper than I want it to be, I think i'll be pretty happy and will only dip into my pocket for the annual pilgrimages to stowe, mad river, and jay, which will come via skiVT pack.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
As a pure day tripper with no home mountain, I'm excited for the Ikon pass. I got the Max Pass this year, and will definitely be switching for next year. Sugarbush is a great addition, and the high end options out West are real enticing. I can see why some people, especially those who ski a lot at a home mountain in the East, are disappointed, but I guess I'm lucky enough to fit in the sweet spot for this pass.

abc

I've sampled the big passes. 1 year on epic. 1 year on MC. 3 years on MAX.
I too, had those "big passes" for the past few years: MCP:2, Epic:1, MAX:1. And prior to that RMSP for 2 years.

I didn't pay much for lift ticket when I travel. I simply planned for taking advantage of the MCP offering. Only very few days I had to pay (almost all of them powder days) At 50%, I can live with that.

But back east, I had to hunt for deals. Though the up side of that is, since I'm out west so much, I have relatively little time left to ski in the east. Even when I'm here, I wasn't jonsing to go to the mountains half as much. It's only when condition looks promising that I bother. Example, this weekend, I COULD take Friday off. But with the high wind and uncertain WHERE the snow will actually fall, I decided to bank the day to use on my Big Sky trip.

Clearly, IKON being a combination of MCP and RMSP, with a few eastern mountain thrown in, will appeal to me.

Jcb890

I too, had those "big passes" for the past few years: MCP:2, Epic:1, MAX:1. And prior to that RMSP for 2 years.

I didn't pay much for lift ticket when I travel. I simply planned for taking advantage of the MCP offering. Only very few days I had to pay (almost all of them powder days) At 50%, I can live with that.

But back east, I had to hunt for deals. Though the up side of that is, since I'm out west so much, I have relatively little time left to ski in the east. Even when I'm here, I wasn't jonsing to go to the mountains half as much. It's only when condition looks promising that I bother. Example, this weekend, I COULD take Friday off. But with the high wind and uncertain WHERE the snow will actually fall, I decided to bank the day to use on my Big Sky trip.

Clearly, IKON being a combination of MCP and RMSP, with a few eastern mountain thrown in, will appeal to me.
I personally find it depressing riding back in New England after traveling West. I don't blame you at all for taking that approach this week with a trip upcoming.

With a little one on the way, I don't think any Western trips will be in the cards for us next season.

machski

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one big difference with Mountain Collective is this is fronted by Liftopia, which is a ticket discounter and not an operator. That is why it was lower cost, with limited included days but the unlimited discounts after the "pre-loaded" days. If a resort is on Liftopia itself, could very well join MC. If not (Boyne hills co.e to mind), doubt they will get added.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Liftopia seems to run it from a "technical" perspective...but I'm not sure if they run it from a "decision-making" perspective. From conversations I've had, it seems like the owners of the various resorts basically get together and make decisions together on who to invite, etc.

WinS

Liftopia seems to run it from a "technical" perspective...but I'm not sure if they run it from a "decision-making" perspective. From conversations I've had, it seems like the owners of the various resorts basically get together and make decisions together on who to invite, etc.

Correct.

cdskier

MC is out, total sleeper. No major changes. We're all doomed.

Big Sky was added. I personally didn't expect any other major changes so it is exactly what I expected it would be.

p_levert

MC is out, total sleeper. No major changes. We're all doomed.

Agree, sucks totally. Epic/Ikon/MC are all heavily Western focused, nothing for the person that skis primarily in the East. Blows.

xlr8r

Well the almost unchanged Mountain Collective is real disappointing. Unless Okemo/Sunapee or Wachusett come out with something good, it looks like next year I will be going without a pass. Have been a loyal MAX holder for three years, went out west to Copper this year and Steamboat 2 years ago, but do not plan to go west next year. Looks like it will be back to bargain hunting for lift ticket deals. Actually after 3 years of only skiing MAX resorts, I am looking forward to going back to some of my favorites I haven't been to in the last 3 years (Cannon, Ragged, Burke, Crotched, Gunstock, Sugarbush etc)

machski

Agree, sucks totally. Epic/Ikon/MC are all heavily Western focused, nothing for the person that skis primarily in the East. Blows.
But based on if their target is Epic, makes perfect sense from that perspective. Sorry, east dominant pass products are obviously not money makers and that is what it boils down to. Doesn't matter what we Eastern skiers would like, just not enough ROI out here to interest the big players beyond what is now offered.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

GregoryIsaacs

So far as they dont jack up the peak pass price, I would say it is now officially the best option for primarily (one trip out west per year) east coast skiers.