• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

xlr8r

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/

The MAX Pass is going to Turn into the Ikon Pass next year. Looks a lot like the MAX Pass from its first year with Alterra, Powdr, and Boyne joining forces, with the addition of Jackson Hole, Alta and Snowbird.

In the New England the mountains are
Killington
Stratton
Loon
Sunday river
Sugarloaf

Seems to be a vast improvement in the western options in comparison to MAX, but a reduction onthe mountains in the east.

KustyTheKlown

not sure how I feel about this. the loss of eastern places is a big hit. tremblant is still on.

addition of Jackson, aspen, squaw, mammoth, alta bird is pretty cool tho

some places will be unlimited, some will be a set number of days.

gnardawg

Good thing I'm headed to Gore and Whiteface in a few weeks on my Max Pass. That's a lot to take off from the East Coast side. Damn.

KustyTheKlown

loss of catskills is such a major bummer. it's been so nice having quick easy day trip options

cdskier

Interesting to note that the FAQ says Mountain Collective will also still be offered...I was wondering about that due to the overlap between this pass and what MCP offered.

KustyTheKlown

if k is unlimited days, i'll be less annoyed. but I seriously doubt that will be the case

xlr8r

One has to wonder now how Mountain Collective will change, what will Triple Peaks do as well?

Killingtime

Glad I got in a full weekend at both Gore and Mont-Sainte Anne this year. I will miss Gore. Really fun place. May have to go one more time before the season is over.. Stoked about Jackson Hole and Aspen/Snowmass though. Going to Steamboat in two weeks because I though it would be off the Max Pass next year. So long Windham and Belleayre it was nice knowing you.

cdskier

19 Eastern resorts on MAX vs 6 on Ikon...that hurts eastern skiers that were using the MAX pass for sure (granted all those 19 weren't necessarily worth it or logistically reasonable to visit).

Details of how many days you get on the Ikon will be key to how worthwhile it is for eastern skiers.

urungus

For an east coast skier, this is a major letdown :evil:

No new areas, and we have lost:

Pico (possibly an oversight since Killington is still there)
Gore
Whiteface
Belleayre
Okemo
Sunapee
Mont Sainte Anne
Mountain Creek
Stoneham
Wachusett
Windham

Last edited:

gnardawg

Sunapee is a big loss for me day tripping from Boston. I also liked Okemo on there -I could get a few more weekend trips by staying in white river junction and skiing Killington and Okemo on the same weekend.

xlr8r

As a Boston area skier, losing Sunapee and Wachusett hurts a lot as those are perfect for easy day or night trips. Now we are back to Loon being the only real day trip option and that is a minimum of 2hrs away. Pico must still be included as all Killington tickets and passes are valid at Pico. I bet though if the pass has a set amount of days, that to go to Pico you will use up your Killington allotment whereas with MAX, Killington had 5 allotted days and Pico 5 as well. I would not be surpriised now to see a new pass with a focus on the east form, or mountain Collective expand more in the east. Just speculating now, having a pass that had say Sugarbush, Okemo, Jay, Burke, Sunapee, Waterville, Bretton Woods etc would be enticing.

KustyTheKlown

the loss of 20 days in new york hurts me the most. I don't like okemo but it was useful for early season groomer days without having to drive so far, and allowed me to spread out the killington usage. pico needs to still be included and I pray this is an error. mountain creek sucks but night skiing an hour a way was a nice option and one I availed myself of a few times.

being able to go back out to squaw and Jackson is great, but if they pull some mountain collective shit and only give 2 days each, that's totally bunk.

I also fear a $1000 price tag.

Bandit2941

the FAQ says this is the list of resorts for 18-19 and that it will not change.

The FAQ says "This is the current lineup for 2018-2019."

I don't interpret that to mean that it will not change. I'm hoping the ORDA resorts get in on the fun again and a season pass add on like what was offered with the MAX pass is available. We'll see! I do like the new western options but if it's a $700 stand alone pass that likely won't be an attractive option to many east coast skiers.

KustyTheKlown

yea I suppose youre right. I read that to mean that this is it, but the "current" certainly indicates the possibility of change. my bad.