• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

IOC voted out Wrestling as a core event in 2020

jack97

IOC has voted to elimnate wrestling as a core event in 2020, this is a developing story. IMO, if this actually happens, this will be when the olympics has jumped the shark.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Word on the street is that wrestling supporters never thought their event was in danger of getting cut, so they didn't "lobby" the IOC to make sure the event stayed. Meanwhile, the modern pentathlon lobbied hard, with the backing of a IOC board member, to stay (and likely threw a bunch of money at the IOC). :puke:

Ouala! Wrestling dropped and a bunch of fringe rich person sports remain.

Edit: I think the international outrage will ultimately get it back in.

Cornhead

Just as long as they don't eliminate speed walking.
Ha! Who's your favorite speed walker? Is there a "Michael Jordan" of speed walking? Funny they're eliminating wrestling, wasn't that the original Olympic sport? Surprised they're not talking about it on ESPN radio, slooooow time of year in sports. All they've been talking about the last two days is, "Is LeBron as good as Jordan?".

ctenidae

I think this is fine. It's not like wrestling can trace any sort of lineage back to the original Games or anything.

Greco-Roman is a kind of salad dressing, right?

Geoff

Wrestling now has to duke it out for the last slot with baseball/softball, karate, rollersports, wakeboarding, squash, and sports climbing.

The last Summer Olympics, I doubt I watched more than 30 minutes of programming. I really don't care.