• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Killington Making Snow in March???

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Sugarbush

As I mentioned in another thread, Sugarbush was in the open late pack until recently. They did not make any effort in 2010. I can't recall what happened in 2011, the last season I was there, but they were open in April. And in 2012, well, we know what happened there. It just seems that they don't care that much about being open early and closing late. So it will be interesting to see if they do respond to this push...

drjeff

I think the usual suspects will do less now that Killington is doing more. Mt Snow has already scaled back and has not tried late season in several years. The market in late spring is too small for other additional mountains to take it up. Jay Peak might make a splash with a late skiing/waterpark combo.

This is the top of Superstar as of the last snowmaking push. They are adding to that this week.

URL]

The main pile is out of frame off to the right. The pile to the left gives some perspective on how much additional snow they are making this year. There are higher snow levels in many places.

IF Mount Snow goes much past the 3rd weekend in April, I'd bet that it would be with just the parks at Carinthia open on a weekend only schedule. They've got PLENTY of snow in those parks to operate for a long time if the business is there!

steamboat1

Snowsurfaces Recovery Plan Making Great Progress

We had good cold temps for snowmaking during the night last night and expect the same for tonight. The cold temps in conjunction with our power contract is allowing us to make snow efficiently mid-week at night, significantly speeding up our surface quality recovery plan after Tuesday’s fun weather.

As of Friday night, the snowmaking system will be run 24hrs a day through Saturday and into Sunday as we assess late weekend temperatures. Snowmaking mid-week is on Great Northern from the peak down through Middle and Lower Chute and on other key trail sections. The move to Superstar trail will be on Friday night and run through the weekend.

Extra grooming is on-going at both Killington and Pico to get air back into the trail surfaces and mixed with the continual flurries we have forecasted right into the weekend which will also help the woods trail surfaces.

JT

JEFFREY TEMPLE
Killington Resort | Pico Mountain
Director of Mountain Operations / Facilities Maintenance

Newpylong

Yeah that's what I am talking about. That's legit.

The glacier has been higher than the lift since the end of Jan. The headwall (which usually melts 1st) has a ridiculous amount of snow on it & if that's not enough they have a huge mountain of snow stockpiled behind the fencing at the top of the lift. Just look down the trail in this pic & you can see the depth of the snow. I love the 4 gun salute they set up at the top of the headwall.

View attachment 8277

Newpylong

I think you will see them go as long as the snow and crowds hold out. They wouldn't be stockpiling to waste.

vermonter

My friend is a snowmaker at Killington and is new on the job but he loves it. It's great to see Killington going for a late spring again. I haven't got a chance to ski it this season except for after thanksgiving and they were starting to expand off of the Superstar Lift. Maybe I'll make it up their this spring.

skiadikt

yup the beast is definitely back. new management with a vision is all it took to change the negativity. brought a vibe to k that hasn't been seen in 10 yrs. hopefully peeps will come out and prove them right. big time kudos to mike solimano, jeff temple & krewe ...

bigbob

Good temps for snowmaking last night. The Superstar glacier may make it through summa so they can get an early start next fall.

JimG.

Staff member
hopefully peeps will come out and prove them right. big time kudos to mike solimano, jeff temple & krewe ...

This is big...we all have to make an effort to prove that May skiing will be worth it for them in the future and this Spring will be the big test. I'll be there until they close down and throw me off the hill.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I think the usual suspects will do less now that Killington is doing more. Mt Snow has already scaled back and has not tried late season in several years. The market in late spring is too small for other additional mountains to take it up. Jay Peak might make a splash with a late skiing/waterpark combo.

So are you saying the beast roared and other ran? :razz:

ScottySkis

People are hoping for skiing in June. I think that makes your April trip a pretty safe bet. :razz:

Not saying I wouldn't go in May and June, just saying with this cool K coming back finally I like to make plans to ski their in a few weeks. Anyone from Orange County or Dutchess (not the Blunt, but maybe we smoke on the way) would like to car pool that be cool.) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

steamboat1

A group of us used to always go the first weekend in May (whatever date that fell on). Superstar & Skye Lark being open was never a problem. In fact some years the K-1 gondola & Snowdon would still be open also. For the last several years we've had to move the date up to the third weekend in April. Last year we barely made it because the third weekend of April is when they closed. This year it's already written in stone for the third weekend (April 20-21) but if they continue to push the season we'll go back to the first weekend in May. I'll be there this year as always but won't be able to ski (injury). It's always a great weekend, even if I can only hang out with "DA BOYZ". Back in the days of Prez. Smith Killington would always be open in May. In fact they routinely offered free skiing on May 1, they called it May Day. I think the latest I've ever skied Killington was May 17 but I know they've been open much later than that. I believe the latest they were ever open was June 22. We'll see if they push the season this year or close the mountain with good snow still remaining. They've already hinted they'll be closing after the first weekend in May.

HowieT2

not for 'nothing, but its not fair to compare current length of season with what was enjoyed 20-30 years ago. Its more climate change than any difference in effort on the part of resort management.