• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Smugglers Notch worth the drive?

JohnQ

We have a chance for a nice deal Smuggs: a studio condo for two nights and three-day lifts for two (Fri/Sat/Sun) for $420 total the last week of January. My daughters would ski free. It's a group rate negotiated by our town for residents. The drive is about 5 hours …

I'm an advanced skier (40+ years) who likes bumps and fast groomers, my wife doesn't ski at all (she'd hit the snowshoe trails), and my 6 yo daughters can easily navigate green terrain with occasional forays onto blues. I've never skied northern VT, is it worth the drive (and potential boredom by my wife) for that price?

Powderhound

That is a great deal. The terrain at Smuggs and in northern Vt. is far superior to most else in the northeast.

Savemeasammy

Smuggs is an awesome resort to ski - especially if you want some really challenging lift-serviced terrain (if they get some snow, of course!). There is a mellow mountain - morse - that would be good for your girls, but you will want to stick with Madonna and sterling. I have a 6 year old boy who is pretty good, but I don't see myself bringing him to Smuggs. The stuff I like to ski there is WAY too much for him! I'm not sure how great it would be if you are skiing with your kids...

I am doing this same deal with another AZer. It's a great deal for sure, and Smuggs is definitely worth the drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crank

We have a chance for a nice deal Smuggs: a studio condo for two nights and three-day lifts for two (Fri/Sat/Sun) for $420 total the last week of January. My daughters would ski free. It's a group rate negotiated by our town for residents. The drive is about 5 hours …

I'm an advanced skier (40+ years) who likes bumps and fast groomers, my wife doesn't ski at all (she'd hit the snowshoe trails), and my 6 yo daughters can easily navigate green terrain with occasional forays onto blues. I've never skied northern VT, is it worth the drive (and potential boredom by my wife) for that price?

Advanced skier from Redding CT who has never been to northern VT??? Where do you ski?

catskills

Since you have a 6yo daughter the answer is definitely YES. Smugglers is worth the drive?

The reason is Smugglers has the best ski instructors for children on the entire east coast. Your kids will have a blast. Happy kids means happy parents.

I can tell you from first hand experience with my children 5 to 8 yo. Make sure you enroll them in the all day ski school.

canobie#1

Absolutely. Was there on Sunday and it was terrific.

Smuggs is a fun mountain but there is a few tings that you should prepare yourself for.
The lifts are slow and long. And they're doubles..

The condos aren't nice, they're mostly very outdated so if your wife is staying in the condo, then don't expect anything over 3 stars.

The restaurants in the resort are not high end or quality. So if you were looking for a night out with the wife or just a nicer meal, I'd suggest you go somewhere in town.

Smuggs if very kid friendly but it has seen better days. If you are looking for something more modern and a nicer, more relaxing place, I would suggest Sugarbsuh, Stratton, Okemo or Killington for VT. Stowe and Jay may be a bit pricey.

JohnQ

Advanced skier from Redding CT who has never been to northern VT??? Where do you ski?

Recent immigrant from DC area. I've skied Stratton before but that was ages ago. Most of my skiing was done via trips to SLC, Montana and CO, averaging about 10 days/yr. The past 2 years (and this year) were a few day trips to Mohawk with my girls to get them started … I spend most of my skiing time with them so it really doesn't matter where we go.

JohnQ

Smuggs is a fun mountain but there is a few tings that you should prepare yourself for.
The lifts are slow and long. And they're doubles..

The condos aren't nice, they're mostly very outdated so if your wife is staying in the condo, then don't expect anything over 3 stars.

The restaurants in the resort are not high end or quality. So if you were looking for a night out with the wife or just a nicer meal, I'd suggest you go somewhere in town.

Smuggs if very kid friendly but it has seen better days. If you are looking for something more modern and a nicer, more relaxing place, I would suggest Sugarbsuh, Stratton, Okemo or Killington for VT. Stowe and Jay may be a bit pricey.

Thanks for the heads up on this, particularly the double chair item. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them alone on a non-beginner lift yet. I normally wouldn't consider the drive up there except for the low cost …

darent

don't listen to the donny downers, smuggs is a great family mountain and they do a bang up job with kids. so what if the lifts are slow, a little rest time you'll need when skiing their excellent advanced terrain.as stated they have a beginner area and easy ways down on the other mountains.

canobie#1

Thanks for the heads up on this, particularly the double chair item. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them alone on a non-beginner lift yet. I normally wouldn't consider the drive up there except for the low cost …

Yeah I would suggest somewhere else then. It may be a nice looking price tag but theres always a catch.

dlague

It is still early do the jury is still out on what type of skiing will be available. Hopefully a couple good storms roll in to add to the trail count! I was there once to try it out - for us it is a day trip. Though I liked the terrain, the lifts and the lines were a bit of a turn off. At the end of the day the restaurants we went to were pricey.

canobie#1

Yeah I would suggest somewhere else then. It may be a nice looking price tag but theres always a catch.

And I am not being a downer, I am being realistic. It appears to me like he is looking for a place where he can have a fun time with his kids while his wife can enjoy her time off the slopes. The resort isn't that nice adult wise. Sure, they're family friendly but it isn't very pretty or nice. A place where there is quads and triples so there is no splitting up of kids is something he may prefer. Which from his last post it sounds like would rather ride up with all of his kids together.

Savemeasammy

If you intend to ski with your kids for the entire time, I personally would not go to Smuggs - as much as I love the terrain. The lift situation will be a problem if you intend to ride up with both of your kids... Take a page out of my book - leave the wife and kids at home for this trip! ;)

JohnQ

If you intend to ski with your kids for the entire time, I personally would not go to Smuggs - as much as I love the terrain. The lift situation will be a problem if you intend to ride up with both of your kids... Take a page out of my book - leave the wife and kids at home for this trip! ;)

That's actually kind of attractive but might not go over well :smile:

JohnQ

I'd probably put the girls in an all day session on Saturday (9-2:30) which certainly add to the cost but let me ski the whole mountain for one day. The other two I'd spend with them. I can have nearly as much fun on the greens with them as I can on my own on more advanced terrain.

They're out of their wedges but have trouble skidding to control their speed. The tend to ski pretty fast and I'm concerned that the blues might be pitched more steeply than they're prepared to handle meaning we'll be spending most of the time on Morse for half a day Friday and 3/4 of Sunday. Am I kidding myself that we'll stay interested for that time?

MadMadWorld

I'd probably put the girls in an all day session on Saturday (9-2:30) which certainly add to the cost but let me ski the whole mountain for one day. The other two I'd spend with them. I can have nearly as much fun on the greens with them as I can on my own on more advanced terrain.

They're out of their wedges but have trouble skidding to control their speed. The tend to ski pretty fast and I'm concerned that the blues might be pitched more steeply than they're prepared to handle meaning we'll be spending most of the time on Morse for half a day Friday and 3/4 of Sunday. Am I kidding myself that we'll stay interested for that time?

Lots of terrain variety for beginners/intermediate. Low intermediates can handle skiers left of Sterling. I wouldn't be concerned about the terrain. As far as the lifts go, the lifties at Morse are really good and will slow things down and help with the bar. If possible they will even try to pair the kids up with adults (if liftline isn't too bad). You know your kids better than us so use your best judgment.

Savemeasammy

Maybe mom will also spend some time with the kids while you ski...?

You might find some terrain that they could ski on Madonna II? With the doubles, you are probably going to have to hope to find a willing single adult to ride with one of your kids - IF your kids are willing to do that! Some of the blues there will rival blacks of the smaller mountains. You'll probably want to scope things out to see if it suits them.

If you only get to ski the good stuff for one day, believe me, it will whet your appetite for more! I skied it once last season, and I've looked forward to getting back ever since.