• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Its finally over Yankee fans

FRITOLAYGUY

Well what a great day for a redsox fan, the final game at yankee stadium and they are eliminated from the playoffs for the first time since 94 the strike year. Its almost weird, unlike the Braves during their run in the 90's the yankees won alot more WS than 1. Honestly even as a redsox fan this is a sad day ive had many fun experiences at yankee stadium, the people are as real as it gets.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I really wish MLB planned their last game of the season at Yankee Stadium, not on the road. It was a class act nonetheless bringing out the old Yankees, and the current Yankees waving good-bye to their field!

Go Red Sox!! :flag:

ComeBackMudPuddles

Well what a great day for a redsox fan, the final game at yankee stadium and they are eliminated from the playoffs for the first time since 94 the strike year. Its almost weird, unlike the Braves during their run in the 90's the yankees won alot more WS than 1. Honestly even as a redsox fan this is a sad day ive had many fun experiences at yankee stadium, the people are as real as it gets.

Jumping the gun there.....Yankees haven't been eliminated (the Red Sox only tied for the Wild Card). The magic number is now down to 1 for Ben Affleck Nation.

All in all, a fitting and moving tribute for the ballpark. Makes me wonder what they'll do on April 16 to open the new joint.

Philpug

It is a shame that this stadium will be leveled. This stadium is as important for America as the Coliseum is for Rome. America has little history, because we are a disposable nation and we throw everything away.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It is a shame that this stadium will be leveled. This stadium is as important for America as the Coliseum is for Rome. America has little history, because we are a disposable nation and we throw everything away.

Good point. I agree, however the cost of real estate in the Bronx probably prohibits any ROI on turning it into a historical monument.

drjeff

Except for in Boston :flag:

Or Chicago and Wrigley for that matter too :flag:

Okay, sounds like a new thread or atleast a semi-hijack here:

"Classic" stadiums that haven't been leveled in the last few years for a new digital super luxury box packed stadium.

We've got Fenway, and Wrigley, and I'll also add in the L.A. Collesium too. There's about 3 or 4 others off the top of my head I can think of, but lets get a few pages of posts out of this! ;)

ComeBackMudPuddles

"Classic" stadiums that haven't been leveled in the last few years for a new digital super luxury box packed stadium.

We've got Fenway, and Wrigley, and I'll also add in the L.A. Collesium too. There's about 3 or 4 others off the top of my head I can think of, but lets get a few pages of posts out of this! ;)

Off the top of my head, there's only one other: Dodger Stadium.

Dr Skimeister

There's Shea for another week.....
NOT

As much of a Mets fan as I have always been, I'll be the first to admit that Shea is a stadium with no character. Filled with characters, yes, but none inherent in the building.

The only stadium I've ever been to with less panache was the old Vet in Philly.

drjeff

There's Shea for another week.....
NOT

As much of a Mets fan as I have always been, I'll be the first to admit that Shea is a stadium with no character. Filled with characters, yes, but none inherent in the building.

The only stadium I've ever been to with less panache was the old Vet in Philly.

Yup, somehow I doubt that they'll be too many tears when Shea goes the way of the wrecking ball and a bunch of C4! Don't even know if would make an exciting episode for The Discovery Channel about bringing it down and the engineering behind it.

Maybe the Mets could give the demolition team a lesson or two about implosions :rolleyes: ;)

Dr Skimeister

Yup, somehow I doubt that they'll be too many tears when Shea goes the way of the wrecking ball and a bunch of C4! Don't even know if would make an exciting episode for The Discovery Channel about bringing it down and the engineering behind it.

Maybe the Mets could give the demolition team a lesson or two about implosions :rolleyes: ;)

Umm....let's not be tooooo premature on this yet, Doc.

Understand, that if this is a reference to last season, I have completely blocked that out of my conscious. As Yogi Berra is said to have said (and we all know he's both an ex-Met and ex-Mets manager, as well as having had something to do with those guys that play up in the Bronx :) ), "It ain't over 'till it's over".

Four games with the already-clinched-and-setting-up-their-rotation-for-the-playoffs Cubbies will be the barometer of this team's mettle. Hopefully the weekend series with the Fish will have nil significance.

drjeff

Umm....let's not be tooooo premature on this yet, Doc.

Understand, that if this is a reference to last season, I have completely blocked that out of my conscious. As Yogi Berra is said to have said (and we all know he's both an ex-Met and ex-Mets manager, as well as having had something to do with those guys that play up in the Bronx :) ), "It ain't over 'till it's over".

Four games with the already-clinched-and-setting-up-their-rotation-for-the-playoffs Cubbies will be the barometer of this team's mettle. Hopefully the weekend series with the Fish will have nil significance.

Doc, personally I'd love to see the Mets hold on and make the playoffs. It would make the fact the the Yankee's aren't in the playoffs this year even better! ;)

Plus, as a Red Sox fan, I think I can finally come to grips with the 1986 World Series and accept the Mets again :rolleyes: It only toook about 20 years of therapy to get there though ;)

Dr Skimeister

The plan is that when Citi Field opens next year, the site of Shea Stadium will be paved over for parking. There are supposed to be markers painted in the parking lot showing where the bases in Shea once were, and whisper has it that there will also be one of those police body silouettes showing where Billy Buckner's career met it's sudden demise. :)

drjeff

The plan is that when Citi Field opens next year, the site of Shea Stadium will be paved over for parking. There are supposed to be markers painted in the parking lot showing where the bases in Shea once were, and whisper has it that there will also be one of those police body silouettes showing where Billy Buckner's career met it's sudden demise. :)

Thanks Doc for the reminder :rolleyes: I think I need to go and dig up the therapists number again :rolleyes: ;)

As a Long time Patriots fan I can definately attest that when you build a brand new shiny stadium and knock down the old P.O.S. one and turn it into a parking lot that it's a GOOD thing!

ComeBackMudPuddles

Just to interject, yes, Shea is kind of a heap of junk, but there's an element of purity to it missing from the Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger luxury stadiums of today.

Just the fans, some sausages and the game. No need for all the trappings of today's fan "experience".

That being said, I doubt many will miss Shea....

FRITOLAYGUY

Bad job by mlb not having these last 3games in NY instead of Boston, and another bad job next year the yankees open i think against the bluejays or someone like that, not exciting at all. The best rivalry in sports deserves more.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Said with a sigh of relief, no doubt....;-)

Would have been interesting had the Tribe swept Boston and the Yanks swept the Blue Jays, thereby setting up a finale whereby NY could have conceivably forced a playoff.

As it is, it'll be pretty non-dramatic. Maybe that's a good thing. I think a lot of people need a break from "THE WORLD'S GREATEST SPORTS RIVALRY (TM)".

drjeff

Bad job by mlb not having these last 3games in NY instead of Boston, and another bad job next year the yankees open i think against the bluejays or someone like that, not exciting at all. The best rivalry in sports deserves more.

My guess is that the scheduling folks for the MLB kind of figured that the Yanks and Red Sox would have 1 more series, in October, as they seem to have for most of the 21st Century.

Dr Skimeister

My guess is that the scheduling folks for the MLB kind of figured that the Yanks and Red Sox would have 1 more series, in October, as they seem to have for most of the 21st Century.

Ah, come on.....they knew better than to try to steal any of the luster that the last weekend Mets-Fish closing of Shea deserves. :)