• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole 3/9-10

dmc

Camera malfunction - sorry no pix...

JH 3/9/2007
Conditions - Pow, sunbake, corn,slop
Today - as with all days - we attempted to find where the snow went...
We found awesome snow off the Thunder Chair in the Mushroom chutes area...
The Mushroom chutes are insane.. Tight pine trees on a 45+ degree slope :) Actually very skiable and held the cold snow...
The lifts and traverses were getting crowded so we slipped the gates in the Rock Springs Bowl.. Rock Springs is the area just outside the boundry.. As with most stuff at Jackson it requires navigating through a cliff area... We did it and the Hobacks a couple times and called it a day...

JH 3/10/2007
Conditions - Pow, Packed pow, sunbake, corn
Snowed a few inches - went over the the Mushroom Chutes again... They didn't dissapoint.. Also rode the Alta 2 & 3 Chutes a bunch...
anything not on a protected aspect was pretty nasty...
Took the chair to the top of Rendevous Bowl and hiked up to the top of the ridge just to hang out and look at the Teton BC.... Absolutely incredible...

So.... After 6 days - I want more... This place is magic.. I've been coming since the mid-80's but this trip had a real local flavor for me which I really love.. Meeting and riding with people who ride at JH and GT every day... Incredible snowboarders and skiers who I can count as some of the coolest people I've met... Tonight I'm hitting a big party for the Town Downhill thats going on this weekend at SnowKing...

I aspire to someday ride the types of terrain they ride.... They appreciate the fact that i know I have limits and yet seem willing to push me a bit.. I look back on the terrain we rode and it's absolutely insane... But in the moment - I really didn't even consider the steepness. At one point I was coming down a steep face into a chute that had a drift on one side.. It didn't even phase me to get up on the drift and drop into the chute.. It wasn't until I did it that I thought - wow that was cool...

Jackson.... Is cool... Can't WAIT to get back...

kcyanks1

Glad you had a great trip!! I'm leaving Saturday to go there.. I'll have 5 days of skiing. Did you end up doing Corbets? I know I won't have the guts :-(. I do love Tower 3 and the Alta Chutes though. Haven't heard of the Mushroom Chutes? Are those on the map? I figure the people I'm with will know about them so I'll have to ask them if you can't reveal.

SkiDog

IMHO...Jackson Hole is the BEST resort in the US......the steeps are AMAZING....and terrain diverse...

Targhee can have some of the best snow to be found anywhere....not as big...but a powder HEAVEN....

Since i'll be living in SLC, UT now i'll be MUCH closer to the Hole...about 5 hours north and im THERE....can't wait..

M

dmc

Haven't heard of the Mushroom Chutes? Are those on the map? I figure the people I'm with will know about them so I'll have to ask them if you can't reveal.

Mushroom chutes and woods are awesome... they are off the ridge down past Tower 3... Steep woods... amazinging steep woods...

AdironRider

Hows the cover looking in the trees? Ive spent the last month pretty much off the map here at whiteface honing my skills for my trip out next week.

I still want to sack up and hit corbets. From what Ive heard even if you fall most people make it out fine.

dmc

Hows the cover looking in the trees? Ive spent the last month pretty much off the map here at whiteface honing my skills for my trip out next week.

I still want to sack up and hit corbets. From what Ive heard even if you fall most people make it out fine.

The cover in the trees is great...

Theres SO much better stuff then Corbettes - don't even worry about missing it.....

Justin10

So I've never been out there and I'm heading out there this weekend, and im not huge on tight steep tree runs, more sparse trees and of course the steeps (otherwise I wouldnt be going there). I've sort of been eyeing the hobacks and stuff like the rendezvous bowl. Should I be looking to do anything that doesnt seem as attractive on the trail map or anything?

dmc

So I've never been out there and I'm heading out there this weekend, and im not huge on tight steep tree runs, more sparse trees and of course the steeps (otherwise I wouldnt be going there). I've sort of been eyeing the hobacks and stuff like the rendezvous bowl. Should I be looking to do anything that doesnt seem as attractive on the trail map or anything?

Check out Alta Chutes and Tower Three Chutes for steep shots...... Good stuff...
Above Alta Chutes on the same ridge theres a great chute under chair 13 of the Sublette lift... It's super steep....

Renezvous is kinda a crappy bowl... Hobacks are great - not too steep...

Bring some avi gear and a friend and check out rock springs bowl... Accessed through the gate above the Hobacks...

http://www.powderhound.org/cgi/imgt...type=jpg&offset=1&bgcolor=white&title=JH+2007

Enjoy.

Justin10

Awesome! Thanks for the info. May not be powder, but I have a surprisingly great feeling about this trip......also, is there a way back to the resort from the Rock Springs Bowl aside from hiking back up?

kcyanks1

Mushroom chutes and woods are awesome... they are off the ridge down past Tower 3... Steep woods... amazinging steep woods...

Great, thanks! I'll have to try that. Are they similar in challenge to Tower 3? Any mandatory drops or just steep?

dmc

Awesome! Thanks for the info. May not be powder, but I have a surprisingly great feeling about this trip......also, is there a way back to the resort from the Rock Springs Bowl aside from hiking back up?

There will be powder... just look for the aspect for cold snow...

Rock Springs.. Take a hard traverse left and go to the Hobacks..

kcyanks1

Just a bit more clarification (only if you are willing, of course) before I head out tomorrow ... are the Mushroom shoots between Tower 3 and Hoops Gap? Isn't that a cliff area? (If that's the point, then I'll probably stay away :) ) Or are they between Hoops Gap and Thunder?

dmc

Just a bit more clarification (only if you are willing, of course) before I head out tomorrow ... are the Mushroom shoots between Tower 3 and Hoops Gap? Isn't that a cliff area? (If that's the point, then I'll probably stay away :) ) Or are they between Hoops Gap and Thunder?

After Tower Three before Hoops.. just past the cliff area... Cross under Thunder Chair...

aniityberg

I am very glad Greetings!

Hello!
My name is Annita. I 4 days on the Internet. Also it is very glad, that has got on your forum forums.alpinezone.com.
This first my message at a forum in section "http://forums.alpinezone.com/14607-jackson-hole-3-9-10-a-2.html#post152842". Here so much the useful information.
Wish my of good luck!