• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole about to experience life without the unwashed masses

Hawk

I alway hear people say New York Style Pizza. But it's really neapolitan style pizza that they claimed as thier own and you can find that in any Italian section of any major city. Some better than others. I still say my Grand mother from that very region made the best. Everything freshly made including the sauce from san Marzano tomatoes and the dough.

cdskier

NY Style Pizza may be descended from Neapolitan pizza, but they're both distinctly different types of pizza. If you gave someone a true Neapolitan style pizza and they're expecting a NY style pizza, they're going to say that isn't what they're looking for.

crank

Since this is a Jackson Hole thread... We like Pinky G's in Jackson... a divey place with good pies, fresh ingredients.

Hawk

Everytime I have bought something that was called NY Pizza it was exactly like a Neapolitan style pizza. Hand tossed, thick outer edge, thin crust in the middle, sauce and cheese. Nice tender dough with a good taste. Sometimes it has oragano or italian spices. At lease that is what I got at John's in the Village and other places.

AdironRider

Pinky G's is pretty far from a dive. Pizzas are like 30-40+ bucks a pop there and the guy who owns the joint has a 4 million dollar house.

Don't take this a knock on the pizza though, its the only place I know that has figured out how to make good pizza at elevation.

crank

I played at an open mic at Pinky G's a few years ago. They were fun and welcoming. Much nicer crowd than the "Hoot" at Silver Dollar, which is kind of a weird scene. Not the Silver Dollar, the open mic thing they hold there.

jimk

This is going to sound pretty lame, but my go-to pizza source these days is my local Harris Teeter grocery store. It's chain of ~250 stores from DE to FL (owned by Kroger). They have a pizza oven/station in the store and on Mondays a large deluxe is $8.99. It's a semi-thick crust and a lot of pizza for the money. Had some tonight.
I've had pizza a few times from places in the greater NYC area, such as New Haven, and I agree it's really good in that part of the country.

Last edited:

snoseek

This is going to sound pretty lame, but my go-to pizza sourse these days is my local Harris Teeter grocery store. It's chain of ~250 stores from DE to FL (owned by Kroger). They have a pizza oven/station in the store and on Mondays a large deluxe is $8.99. It's a semi-thick crust and a lot of pizza for the money. Had some tonight.
I've had pizza a few times from places in the greater NYC area, such as New Haven, and I agree it's really good in that part of the country.
Up this way market basket makes good pizza for cheap. The steak and cheese for 6 bucks is even better.

Last edited: