• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole about to experience life without the unwashed masses

raisingarizona

i have discussed (argued) this with people from the west often. There is nothing cold like North East cold. i have all sorts of issues here of being cold, even though i prefer the cold, but skiing for whatever reason both my hands and feet get cold easy. Out west, its a non issue. i remember being at Alta one year, it was 1 degree. gloves off, taking pics, (mainly of locals tossing peoples skis that were marking their place in line.) 20 degrees in the North East is cold. Cold Cold.
On average the Wasatch is a much warmer range then other Rocky Mountain regions. Seriously, it’s statistically a very comfortable place to be skiing. It’s not just the snow and terrain that make it so popular.

Jackson, Crested Butte and Winter Park for examples are much colder places. -30 is cold no matter where but the humidity out east is the killer.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Curious how you arrived at the decision to move near Snowbasin as opposed to living either on the Wasatch Front or the Back near Park City?
Did you just want more land and a very rural life?
We actually are moving to Layton between Ogden and SLC. We couldn't find high speed internet for WFH in the Eden/Huntsville area. We also wanted to make Snowbasin our home mountain. Less crowds and better housing value in that area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We actually are moving to Layton between Ogden and SLC. We couldn't find high speed internet for WFH in the Eden/Huntsville area. We also wanted to make Snowbasin our home mountain. Less crowds and better housing value in that area.
Hope you like “the sound of freedom” flying overhead from Hill AFB.

urungus

Returning to the subject of this thread, the Teton Pass reopening is planned for Friday, just 3 weeks after the collapse on June 7.

”The road is expected to open to all traffic, including semi-trucks weighing up to 60,000 lbs., but will be signed with a 20 mph speed limit through the detour.”

djd66

Returning to the subject of this thread, the Teton Pass reopening is planned for Friday, just 3 weeks after the collapse on June 7.

”The road is expected to open to all traffic, including semi-trucks weighing up to 60,000 lbs., but will be signed with a 20 mph speed limit through the detour.”

That is impressive!!

Smellytele

My son was not bothered by it as he was fighting a fire down near Leadville, CO for the last few weeks and is going back to Idaho this weekend.

jaytrem

Jackson, Crested Butte and Winter Park for examples are much colder places. -30 is cold no matter where but the humidity out east is the killer.
Out East??? No such thing, it's Back East. I like to jokingly give a MN friend a hard time about that. Just curious, where did you grow up?

machski

We get the VT Air National Guard flying over northern NH

The F22 Raptors are insane when they go supersonic w/ no afterburners
Raptors are not the VT Guard, they fly F35's. AFIK, Raptors are not assigned to any Guard units at least out east. Westfield MA Guard flies F-15's, I've seen those low over Eastern Bethel/Newry and rather early too. Like before 0800 on the weekends.

2Planker

Sorry Mach
Conway Daily Sun had the article last year...
Specifically mentioned F22's were "dog flight" training w/ the VTANG F35's.
Watching them and hearing them was intense

machski

Sorry Mach
Conway Daily Sun had the article last year...
Specifically mentioned F22's were "dog flight" training w/ the VTANG F35's.
Watching them and hearing them was intense
The F35 is no slouch either. In burner, they are louder than the F-16s they replaced at BTV. Thus the initial uproar of that assignment by locals over there.

2Planker

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out East??? No such thing, it's Back East. I like to jokingly give a MN friend a hard time about that. Just curious, where did you grow up?
I was born in Nyack NY but my family moved to Rockaway NJ when I was ten. That's when I started skiing up at the rope tow hill 6 miles up Greenpond road.