• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 6th Inland Runner

Savemeasammy

Bright side...this could be good for the woods. Tamp it and freeze it = base. Right now at killington its fluff on rocks in the woods.

I want to look on the bright side, too... At my local hill the woods are skiing really, really well - although some rocks are definitely showing through. R@!n is only going to expose them more... Maybe places with better snowpack won't be so adversely affected. This isn't the end of the world, but it definitely sucks. The skiing is just damn good right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

Well these winds just made my early week vacation at Jay and Smuggs go to shit. Hello wind.holds.

xwhaler

I want to look on the bright side, too... At my local hill the woods are skiing really, really well - although some rocks are definitely showing through. R@!n is only going to expose them more... Maybe places with better snowpack won't be so adversely affected. This isn't the end of the world, but it definitely sucks. The skiing is just damn good right now!

Woods game on at Pats? I'm shooting to be there for 1st chair in the AM. Blue softshell,white helmet, gray pants, surface watch life's if yah see me let's make some runs

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Woods game on at Pats? I'm shooting to be there for 1st chair in the AM. Blue softshell,white helmet, gray pants, surface watch life's if yah see me let's make some runs

I don't want to set your expectations TOO high...! As long as you have skied pats "woods" and know what they are all about, you should be happy. Like I said, there are some rocks showing through! Unfortunately I hurt my knee tonight, and I will be out of commission for a bit... I really wish I could enjoy more of this good snow!

Savemeasammy

^. Oops. How the hell did I do that?! My comment looks like part of the quote... Oh well...

xwhaler

All good. Hope the knee heals quick for ya......I haven't been to pats in about 7 yrs actually so looking forward to 're discovering it and seeing cascade basin

Savemeasammy

All good. Hope the knee heals quick for ya......I haven't been to pats in about 7 yrs actually so looking forward to 're discovering it and seeing cascade basin

I met Dlauge there for a few runs this afternoon. He said the cascade lift was pretty busy - presumably people are checking it out for the first time! IMO it's sort of a step up from the valley area - no challenge whatsoever. I usually stick close to the front of the mountain. Hurricane is skiing pretty well if you enjoy bumps (just don't twist your knee!), vortex is good, and FIS as well (including the "glade" on skiers right). There is also a little mogul field developing at the bottom right of FIS. Some other time I'd be happy to make some turns with you!

Tin

Some wild inversion happening. Just.drove.past Sunappe on the way to Smuggs and the car.says -2. At 5:30 am it.was 20/21 at the.summit of Madonna and Sterling at Smuggs.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Well this thing has moved even further west. Now instead of even getting 2-4 inches we are going to get less than an inch of snow/sleet/FR and then just plain old rain tomorrow :sad:.
The storm later this week is looking warmer too.

Edd

Skiing somewhere between SR and Loon on Tue/Wed. Going to make the most of it and demo carvers.

Well this thing has moved even further west. Now instead of even getting 2-4 inches we are going to get less than an inch of snow/sleet/FR and then just plain old rain tomorrow :sad:.

Wouldn't fret about the next storm. Too far out.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Yeah, this forecast sucks. I was planning on heading up to ski Smuggs, Stowe and Jay the next three days, but I'm postponing my trip until next week. Hopefully it will be a little better. Back in the fall I had bought one of those $10 Jay Peak Liftopia deals for Wednesday, so it looks like I'm going to eat it. Oh well. Only ten bucks.

xwhaler

Yeah, this forecast sucks. I was planning on heading up to ski Smuggs, Stowe and Jay the next three days, but I'm postponing my trip until next week. Hopefully it will be a little better. Back in the fall I had bought one of those $10 Jay Peak Liftopia deals for Wednesday, so it looks like I'm going to eat it. Oh well. Only ten bucks.

Didn't you also get a fox44 card that has Jay on it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Didn't you also get a fox44 card that has Jay on it?

Yep. Was hoping to save that for later in the season, but I could end up using it next week instead. It's also got MRG, Smuggs and Burke on there, so next week it will be Stowe for one day and any of those other mountains to fill out the three days.

Ideally, the conditions will be okay at MRG on Monday, so I can ski there and pick up some Lawson's Finest Liquids in Warren. I've got a case of Heady Toppers waiting for me in Stowe. Then hopefully I ski Jay on Wednesday and can hit up the Hill Farmstead Brewery on the way home on Wednesday to pick up some of their brews.

This planned trip is equal parts ski and beer safari. :daffy::beer:

xwhaler

Sounds like an awesome trip.....were doing a 3 mtn tour up there mid March....Jay, Smuggs, MRG/Middlebury

steamboat1

Hate to tell you but the long range has the same crap for the beginning of next week. I hope it's wrong for everyones sake.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll take the gamble on the long range. If it's as bad as the next three days will be, oh well.

catsup948

Long range isn't as bad as it could be. So far it looks like a mild up. High 30's below freezing at night from Saturday through Wednesday. Then everything reloads.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk