• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

kingdom-tele

Apologies for using the word “struggling”. Was not the best word choice – wrote it quickly; should have said something along the lines “like many communities in the NEK, Lowell is a town based on agriculture. Farming can oftentimes be a challenging livelihood from an economic standpoint, and oftentimes there are difficult choices to be made – such as whether to vote for a wind farm, which would reduce/eliminate one’s property tax.”

Thanks for the info on JPR now supporting Lowell, and being able to see them above 2,800’. You of anyone on this forum probably have the most insight on a lot of the JPR topics since you live in the area -- I mean this in a sincere way.

Not familiar with the Sheffield towers. How many are going up, and how tall will the turbines be? What is the general sentiment in NEK about Lowell and Sheffield -- people in Lowell/Sheffield for it because of the economic benefits, others against it because of the sight line issues?

:lol:

no worries. just giving you shit :smile:

sheffield is getting 12 or 16, can't remember of the top of my head. mostly because it doesn't bother me that they are putting in wind towers. I can understand the NO side of the vote though. while struggling is certainly one adjective, adverse to change and passionate about maintaining the current land use (undeveloped) is another. reality is Jay will be using 100% more power in the near future, a mllion dollars worth of propane a month, and god knows what else to realize their vision - low impact it is not. it seems a little shady that GMP is trying to get support from the backdoor by committing money to the substation overhaul - but then again its politics

as far as JPR - they built a rink, I skate every week, usually alone for $6 for 90-120 min, can't really complain. my only gripe is the glass on the new waterpark gives off one hell of a reflection at sunrise, messes up my coffee drinking in the AM, but I'll adjust I think :grin:

size wise Lowell/kingdom community wind will have 425' towers, Sheffield I believe is 285'

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
no worries. just giving you shit :smile:

sheffield is getting 12 or 16, can't remember of the top of my head. mostly because it doesn't bother me that they are putting in wind towers. I can understand the NO side of the vote though. while struggling is certainly one adjective, adverse to change and passionate about maintaining the current land use (undeveloped) is another. reality is Jay will be using 100% more power in the near future, a mllion dollars worth of propane a month, and god knows what else to realize their vision - low impact it is not. it seems a little shady that GMP is trying to get support from the backdoor by committing money to the substation overhaul - but then again its politics

as far as JPR - they built a rink, I skate every week, usually alone for $6 for 90-120 min, can't really complain. my only gripe is the glass on the new waterpark gives off one hell of a reflection at sunrise, messes up my coffee drinking in the AM, but I'll adjust I think :grin:

size wise Lowell/kingdom community wind will have 425' towers, Sheffield I believe is 285'

Sheffield has (14, I think :) ) pretty much the same 400+ footers that Lowell is going to have. 150' long blades.

Burke just put up one of these similar to the one on top of Bolton at 150' tall from the ground to tip of the blades at their highest position:

http://www.northernpower.com/wind-power-products/northern-power-arctic.php

http://www.boltonvalley.com/mountain/wind_turbine/

http://northernpower.kiosk-view.com/bolton-valley

kingdom-tele

Sheffield has (14, I think :) ) pretty much the same 400+ footers that Lowell is going to have. 150' long blades.

Burke just put up one of these similar to the one on top of Bolton at 150' tall from the ground to tip of the blades at their highest position:

http://www.northernpower.com/wind-power-products/northern-power-arctic.php

http://www.boltonvalley.com/mountain/wind_turbine/

http://northernpower.kiosk-view.com/bolton-valley

thanks NEK.

listening to people up here the Lowell project is supposedly obscenely larger than the Sheffield project

is burke gonna hand out protective helmets for all the flying ice off the blades:)

Magog Fishy

reality is Jay will be using ... a mllion dollars worth of propane a month

:eek: Granted so far that has really only been about 4 months out of the year, but w/ the new Hotel Jay/water park could make it closer to 12. No wonder why they now support Lowell!

That’s interesting about the water park reflection in the early morning, and I take it you have your coffee at your place in NC. Not sure how they would solve it – maybe some sort of light absorbent clear spray/glaze on the glass.

Certainly will take some time getting used to the sight of all these 400’+ turbines, if they all go up in the NEK. I know noise has been a major issue (I think more so than flicker) with people living within a mile of some of the 400’+ turbines installed in MA (it might only be a specific model with the real bad issues with) -- shouldn't be a ton of people in Lowell/Sheff w/in a mile!

Too bad things fell through with the Rock Crushers and Jay, although stealing NAHA from Stowe was a major score. I am not in to skating, but went last year to JPR’s Halloween Haunted skate – we were surprised so many people turned out (probably a couple hundred), esp with the snow that night.

Have you heard anything recently on JPR’s Newport IGA site (where Bill wants to build the hotel; thought I heard they did some geotech last winter), and AnC (the Korean company run by Ariel’s brother-in-law that is supposed to be going in the Bogner building; thought I heard they were getting FDA approval and setting up a free trade zone)?

If you see Fran (I know he has a home in NC) you might want to ask him if it is time to take down his “beef for sale” sign on 105 – I stopped there a couple summers ago to see what meat they had for a cookout, and the guy fixing one of the tractors (we chatted for 20 minutes) told me I had to drive down to Comstock to buy some. I am hoping the new Thai restaurant in Newport is good – must be open by now; hopefully not too pricey.

Last edited:

kingdom-tele

:eek: Granted so far that has really only been about 4 months out of the year, but w/ the new Hotel Jay/water park could make it closer to 12. No wonder why they now support Lowell!

That’s interesting about the water park reflection in the early morning, and I take it you have your coffee at your place in NC. Not sure how they would solve it – maybe some sort of light absorbent clear spray/glaze on the glass.

Certainly will take some time getting used to the sight of all these 400’+ turbines, if they all go up in the NEK. I know noise has been a major issue (I think more so than flicker) with people living within a mile of some of the 400’+ turbines installed in MA (it might only be a specific model with the real bad issues with) -- shouldn't be a ton of people in Lowell/Sheff w/in a mile!

Too bad things fell through with the Rock Crushers and Jay, although stealing NAHA from Stowe was a major score. I am not in to skating, but went last year to JPR’s Halloween Haunted skate – we were surprised so many people turned out (probably a couple hundred), esp with the snow that night.

Have you heard anything recently on JPR’s Newport IGA site (where Bill wants to build the hotel; thought I heard they did some geotech last winter), and AnC (the Korean company run by Ariel’s brother-in-law that is supposed to be going in the Bogner building; thought I heard they were getting FDA approval and setting up a free trade zone)?

If you see Fran (I know he has a home in NC) you might want to ask him if it is time to take down his “beef for sale” sign on 105 – I stopped there a couple summers ago to see what meat they had for a cookout, and the guy fixing one of the tractors (we chatted for 20 minutes) told me I had to drive down to Comstock to buy some. I am hoping the new Thai restaurant in Newport is good – must be open by now; hopefully not too pricey.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to what J is up to so I have no idea about an IGA and only rumors about biotech company in the Bogner building. I didn't even realize the rock crusher thing had fallen through.

Baan Thai is great. Same chef that had Thaitanic. Re opened with local support. The interior design is great, the food is great, entree 9-15 bucks. take out portions are noticeably larger than in house dining.

UVSHTSTRM

Still a major skeptic on major wind projects. If places like Burke want to do it on a private level then fine. However many of these seem to be boondoggles that are being built for companies like First Wind who reap massive benefits from both the electricity, but more so from the large subsidies that it takes to make them possible. I know many people in Maine are not happy with these things, but often poor or small towns and regions are prayed upon in the hopes of lease payments to individual property owners and tax and energy breaks for the towns in involved. I would be lieing if I told you that I knew all there is to know about this, but reading up on wind developements really leaves an uneasy feeling in ones stomach. I recently read that wind power is no more green then other forms of electrical generation we currently have. I find it funny that environmetalists are often against such projects....granted I don't know what they would be happy with.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
For those that didn't see this in the Burke thread, here is the current progress on the Sheffield wind farm. 5 towers with blades are up so far. This view is from the Burke mid-lodge.

mod_Dsc02119.jpg

Both sets of farms (Sheffield and Lowell) will be visible along the same view path west of Burke.

Magog Fishy

Baan Thai is great. Same chef that had Thaitanic. Re opened with local support. The interior design is great, the food is great, entree 9-15 bucks. take out portions are noticeably larger than in house dining.

Thanks, will definitely check it out.

Thanks for the info and pics. Good general knowledge to have, as there are a few parts of Jay even <2,000’ where you will probably see the Sheff ones -- almost right in the Presies sight line.

I agree that Burke’s is fairly unobtrusive. I like how they made their blades black – helps to hide it, granted they only put up a small turbine; kinda like the cell towers that are made to look like trees. I did not realize that you would see some of the Sheff ones from mid-Burke.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree that Burke’s is fairly unobtrusive. I like how they made their blades black – helps to hide it, granted they only put up a small turbine; kinda like the cell towers that are made to look like trees. I did not realize that you would see some of the Sheff ones from mid-Burke.

You can see the Sheffield Project from Newport on I-91!

BenedictGomez

^ Just that I dont visualize them hitting the occupancy quotas that a "non-free" hotel would have to carry to be financially successful. Nor do I see the logic behind a gigantic water park in the far reaches of northern Vermont, and several other things. What I see is exactly what I'd expect if you were given an orgy of "free money" per se. But I do like JP alot, and wish them well, I just dont see the business development logic in much of this.

EDIT: And I'm still wondering if that article is serious about the "outdoor amphitheater", or if that's supposed to be a joke?

EDIT: And I'm still wondering if that article is serious about the "outdoor amphitheater", or if that's supposed to be a joke?

My brother just reported what the planners said at the meeting, so it was serious. An outdoor amphitheatre could be as simple as sitting on the grass of Chalet Meadows, watching a band play on a portable stage, or, a replica of the Roman Coliseum.

Method9455

^ Just that I dont visualize them hitting the occupancy quotas that a "non-free" hotel would have to carry to be financially successful. Nor do I see the logic behind a gigantic water park in the far reaches of northern Vermont, and several other things. What I see is exactly what I'd expect if you were given an orgy of "free money" per se. But I do like JP alot, and wish them well, I just dont see the business development logic in much of this.

The far reaches of Vermont are far from NJ/NY, but not from MA, CT, and of course Montreal. A significant percentage of people at Jay are coming from places north of there.