• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - Will they make it until APril?

hudsonhacker

I usually plan a 4 day ski trip with my kids during their school spring break. Due to work this year, I cannot make it during March. My Kids have a second week off april 10th-14th. I know it is hard to predict, but what are the chances of Jay making it until the second week of April?

I know in the past Jay has had some crazy long seasons....how often do they make it to mid April?

mriceyman

They will 100% make it into april barring a ridiculously warm march. March is still winter up there

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hudsonhacker

March is still winter up there

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Funny thing is, when I talk about Jay Peak, I talk about them being "down there" rather than "up there". I live near Montreal, qc. Our skiing will be pretty much dead by mid april around here!

hudsonhacker

Okay, it seems the Jay Peak regulars are confident. I will hold off until mid march before I book somewhere to stay though! (Just in case)

Thanks for the feedback

Paul

ironhippy

early April is one of my favorite times for trips. You can get everything from a powder day to beautiful spring corn.
Most places will have 100% coverage and the crowds and prices are usually a lot less.

I have had to spend a good Friday in a hotel room watching baseball with my wife and father-in-law during a rainstorm though, but that can happen any time of the year in the Northeast.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
But will the still be open midweek in April...that's a huge "if" as most mountains (this is not Jay specific) don't really have a year-to-year pattern in the spring. Some years they're open midweek, some years they're not.

KustyTheKlown

Of course jay makes it to April

The real question is will the jay cloud show up thurs-sun to mitigate tonight's rain and Thursday's freeze

VTKilarney

But will the still be open midweek in April...that's a huge "if" as most mountains (this is not Jay specific) don't really have a year-to-year pattern in the spring. Some years they're open midweek, some years they're not.
Jay will be open midweek, but they are known for taking a lift offline from time to time.

Jcb890

and blaming it on the wind?
Like today. They always blame it on the wind. There's been plenty of days where there was no wind and the Tram or Flyer didn't run, in that case, maybe there's an icing issue or insert random issue here _________.

BenedictGomez

While I agree with the posters here in general, n.VT can be very unpredictable that time of year.

Two or three years ago I was up at Smuggler's Notch for the week skiing there and Jay. It was spring skiing, and then there was about a 2 foot snowfall. An absolutely amazing few days of skiing. Then it hit into the mid 70s with a slight breeze for a few straight days and ski season was over.

drjeff

Like today. They always blame it on the wind. There's been plenty of days where there was no wind and the Tram or Flyer didn't run, in that case, maybe there's an icing issue or insert random issue here _________.

As one of my mountain ops friends has told me many times over with lift hold situations and wind, it's not always about the velocity of the wind, sometimes its all about the angle that the wind is hitting the terminal at that is the safety issue

xwhaler

Would the receivership status and cost-cutting to show maximum profitability be a factor for a Mid April trip?
I'm thinking in terms of lifts not opening, not the mtn itself

BenedictGomez

As one of my mountain ops friends has told me many times over with lift hold situations and wind, it's not always about the velocity of the wind, sometimes its all about the angle that the wind is hitting the terminal at that is the safety issue

Looks like about 11mph or so. That's not much, but to be fair maybe today's one of those days where the random gusts are much stronger.

BenedictGomez

Would the receivership status and cost-cutting to show maximum profitability be a factor for a Mid April trip?
I'm thinking in terms of lifts not opening, not the mtn itself

I sure wouldn't book in advance, lets put it that way. Too much uncertainty with regard to what you mention. On the one hand, the mountain may want to show the face of status quo and stay open, on the other hand, the figures they put out publicly are pretty bad.

VTKilarney

I sure wouldn't book in advance, lets put it that way. Too much uncertainty with regard to what you mention. On the one hand, the mountain may want to show the face of status quo and stay open, on the other hand, the figures they put out publicly are pretty bad.
FWIW, Burke seems to be making an effort to go deeper into the spring than in prior years - at least if snowmaking is any indication.

My main worry is that they need to sell before next ski season. The bills are piling up and they are spending a good amount of money. But I think that this year is fine.

Last edited:

Jcb890

Another day, another excuse from Jay (not pointing at you). I realize angle matters. However, when the wind is 10-20 MPH, it shouldn't matter what direction is coming from, that is not an issue.

Looks like about 11mph or so. That's not much, but to be fair maybe today's one of those days where the random gusts are much stronger.
11 MPH wind holds. Seems legit. That's "The Jay Way".

Domeskier

However, when the wind is 10-20 MPH, it shouldn't matter what direction is coming from, that is not an issue.

Yeah - if your lift cannot withstand wind-speeds that would barely shift a weather-cock, it's probably about time to shut them done.