• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Full-day lessons only?

jimmywilson69

Mid atlantic vail resorts are doing 2-hour lessons which are longer than what was happening prior to Vail owning these places

abc

Yea...I have an issue with that business model.
Lessons should not be subsidizing other costs on the mountain like that. People complain a lot about high lift prices these days...but the bigger scam is the lesson rates. They're insane now at many areas (and the instructors are only getting a tiny fraction of the price which is completely unfair). Sugarbush group lessons are not even offered anymore for anything beyond the Intermediate level. So if you want a lesson at a higher level, you have to go for a private lesson at a whopping $425/half day or $800/full day (mid week). It goes up to $550/$1000 on weekends. I've always said I wanted to take a lesson again...but not at those prices.
Totally!

People bitch about day lift ticket being so expensive it deters newcomers to the sport. But the true cost of taking up the sport is far worse when you consider the cost of lessons!

With no or minimal lessons, how many of the first timers will come back???

That said, it sticks in my mind when one of my friend decided to enroll her whole family in a full day ”private” lesson (just the family in the group). I didn’t recall her ever volunteer to take lessons. Much less her husband. But she said the cost of the lift ticket alone for the family was almost the same as the full day “lesson package” (which includes lift ticket)! And they get to cut the line too.

So, I wonder the shortage of lesson spots may have to do with all the instructor got booked for these “lessons” to side step the high daily lift ticket cost.

4aprice

With no or minimal lessons, how many of the first timers will come back???
They're not coming back now. Getting someone to return for a 2nd time has proved to be extremely difficult for the industry as a whole. I know my local mountain has tried giving season passes, reduced price equipment, as many incentives as they could but have hooked very few as a percentage. Seasonal programs seem the be quite popular here and it seems that the mountains are putting more in to them over traditional lessons.

2Planker

Black market ski pros are definitely around...

My BIL goes for $125/kid, up to 4. All day "lesson", but basically 9-3.
They (mom&pop) buy lunch.
Skis them into the ground for $500 CA$H