• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jeep owners?

buellski

Been lurking in this thread for a while now. Here's my 2011 JKU Sport with (finally) some decent wheels and tires. It originally had the stock 16" wheels and 225s. I finally saved up enough coin to put these on it and it totally transforms the vehicle 8) These should handle the class VI roads around here better than the stock ones :thumbup:

2011-JKU-Sport.jpg

HD333

Been lurking in this thread for a while now. Here's my 2011 JKU Sport with (finally) some decent wheels and tires. It originally had the stock 16" wheels and 225s. I finally saved up enough coin to put these on it and it totally transforms the vehicle 8) These should handle the class VI roads around here better than the stock ones :thumbup:

View attachment 8982
Sweet. Any lift needed for those wheels?

My search for a JKU is officially under way. Hoping to find one by month end. Having a tough time finding one with the mileage/features I want for the $$$ I want to part with without the dinky 16 inch wheels. May need to bite the bullet and go with the 16's then find some 17 or 18 inch take offs from a Sport/Sahara. I want to keep it as stock as possible but I do like those black wheels.

buellski

Sweet. Any lift needed for those wheels?

My search for a JKU is officially under way. Hoping to find one by month end. Having a tough time finding one with the mileage/features I want for the $$$ I want to part with without the dinky 16 inch wheels. May need to bite the bullet and go with the 16's then find some 17 or 18 inch take offs from a Sport/Sahara. I want to keep it as stock as possible but I do like those black wheels.

Nope, no lift needed. Those are 265/70/17 (~32") and they fit perfectly. They're not quite as tall as the stock 255/75/17 and just a bit wider. I can go lock to lock without any issues or rubbing. I would like to do a suspension lift and move up to 33"s or 35"s, but that'll have to wait while I reload the Jeep fund :-D

bigbog

Nice you guys = nice healthy suspensions, frames...etc. Remember that suspension lift does nothing to body, at least with an Xterra. Jeep wheelwells look nice and big...imho.

Last edited:

HD333

How do you guys with the JKU's store your hardtop? Been googling and I see a lot if homemade lift options.
I may try to rig something up.
What do you guys do with the top?

buellski

I don't have a garage, so I built one of these:

ht04.JPG

Once the top is off and you pull the jeep out, you can put a couple of 2x4s across the middle braces and lower the top onto them. I got a bikini top for the summer:

jku.jpg

gmcunni

sweet.. i have a garage but not sure i can build a lift due to the garage door setup.

i don't have a hardtop yet but it is on my short "i want" list, if i can find one for a cheap price on craigslist.

HD333

I don't have a garage, so I built one of these:

View attachment 9139

Once the top is off and you pull the jeep out, you can put a couple of 2x4s across the middle braces and lower the top onto them. I got a bikini top for the summer:

View attachment 9140
Nice. My buddy and I built a space savet platform that is tucked above my "work bench" to holdt the hardtop. Since the hardtop will only go on/off once a year I figured a lift was not needed. I added Velcro to hold my side windows.
The platform will hold the softtop come winter. It also holds the 3rd row seats from the Tahoe.

twinplanx

What do you guys think about using a CJ to plow driveways? Not commercially, just to get out...

bvibert

Staff member
What do you guys think about using a CJ to plow driveways? Not commercially, just to get out...

The gas station that I used to work at had a CJ-5 to plow with. It worked out okay, but it is pretty light. The whole thing would bounce up in the air when the driver hit the snow banks.

twinplanx

The gas station that I used to work at had a CJ-5 to plow with. It worked out okay, but it is pretty light. The whole thing would bounce up in the air when the driver hit the snow banks.

Lol I don't imagine it's the ideal vehicle to plow with. I'm assuming the ultra short wheelbase is a major disadvantage compounded by the all ready uncomfortable ride...

buellski

Lol I don't imagine it's the ideal vehicle to plow with. I'm assuming the ultra short wheelbase is a major disadvantage compounded by the all ready uncomfortable ride...

I guess it depends on how big your driveway is. Mine is about 150+/- feet, and I plow it with a Honda 4-wheeler, without chains, uphill in both directions :p The 4-wheeler and without chains part is true. Biggest problem I have (with plowing) is if the snowbanks get too high, but I don't complain when that happens :snow:

Hawkshot99

They are quite popular for tight driveways because of the short wheelbase. Much easier to manuever than a full size truck. But not built as heavy or as powerful.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

buellski

Who's ready for some wheelin'?

Got a 2.5" lift installed and pulled the top off for the first time this weekend :thumbup: Just need the trails to dry some more up here before we can get on them.

Lifted2.jpg