• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JH requiring reservations

KustyTheKlown

JH is requiring reservation for next season..looks like they are the only IKON pass destination to do so so far...???

loon and windham required them last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it again. i think with jackson they need to be more clear and explicit about it because people plan destination trips to jackson

bottom of that page = "*All destinations may be subject to lift and parking reservations for the 21/22 winter season, as determined by each individual destination."

cdskier

A number of Ikon partner destinations required reservations last year, so why this should come as a surprise to anyone?

(Plus there's a note at the bottom of the access details page saying that reservations could be required for the 21/22 season at some resorts and it was up to the individual resorts to make this determination)

thetrailboss

Staff member
A number of Ikon partner destinations required reservations last year, so why this should come as a surprise to anyone?

(Plus there's a note at the bottom of the access details page saying that reservations could be required for the 21/22 season at some resorts and it was up to the individual resorts to make this determination)
I agree with you. That said, there were a few folks (not here) that were heckling resorts because they could not use their IKON pass and they were upset. I even think I saw mention of a class-action lawsuit.

Zand

I'm going there so I have to reserve on Ocotber 21 to make sure I get in the days...didn't expect this.
I believe I read that if you already have reservations and aren't able to secure the days you want on Oct 21, you can email them to have them manually give you a reservation.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Snowbird, Brighton, Alta, and Jackson all requiring some sort of reservation on peak days.... all those places have been stretching their capacity for a while now so it's not surprising.

Reservations are good for the bottom line of the big resorts. I think they will be the norm as long as we have a severe labor shortage as the mountains now have. Hypothetically...if Jackson Hole knows they'll have 3,000 skiers on a Wednesday they can get away with not running a couple backup lifts and "save" those man-hours for the busy weekends. If that Wednesday is a powder day and another 1,000 locals want to ski (who've already paid for their pass) tough luck buttercup.... you can't get in cuz those few extra lifties, parking attendants, and ski patrollers aren't coming in. The cap is the cap.

At this point in the industry we have too many skiers and not enough labor....prices gotta rise or reservations have to stay in place to reduce the demand. Something has to give because they aren't building 5,000 acre mega-resorts like it's 1970 anymore.

snoseek

At this point JH should probably have a look at reservations with or without Covid.

I feel like an area like Stowe could see this but I dont feel like its needed midweek at all. The only thing that bothered me last year was Vail wouldnt let you reserve Wildcat and Attitash in the same day. Sometimes when weather gets weird up in the notch i like to eat lunch while driving over to Attitash to escape it

abc

Sometimes when weather gets weird up in the notch i like to eat lunch while driving over to Attitash to escape it
The reservation system was a stop gap measure last year. But resorts are going to use it going forward. It's not designed with much thought.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird, Brighton, Alta, and Jackson all requiring some sort of reservation on peak days.... all those places have been stretching their capacity for a while now so it's not surprising.

Reservations are good for the bottom line of the big resorts. I think they will be the norm as long as we have a severe labor shortage as the mountains now have. Hypothetically...if Jackson Hole knows they'll have 3,000 skiers on a Wednesday they can get away with not running a couple backup lifts and "save" those man-hours for the busy weekends. If that Wednesday is a powder day and another 1,000 locals want to ski (who've already paid for their pass) tough luck buttercup.... you can't get in cuz those few extra lifties, parking attendants, and ski patrollers aren't coming in. The cap is the cap.

At this point in the industry we have too many skiers and not enough labor....prices gotta rise or reservations have to stay in place to reduce the demand. Something has to give because they aren't building 5,000 acre mega-resorts like it's 1970 anymore.
Re: Snowbird/Alta. Are you talking about parking reservations because they don’t have a reservation system per se for passes.

jimmywilson69

the parking resrevation system is as much a traffic/congestion mitigation at Alta/Bird as it is crowd control. They want most people to carpool or take the bus.

the skiing experience is valued to the Ikon partner resorts, at least that is the perception they try to give, where Vail doesn't give that vibe at all.

machski

loon and windham required them last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it again. i think with jackson they need to be more clear and explicit about it because people plan destination trips to jackson

bottom of that page = "*All destinations may be subject to lift and parking reservations for the 21/22 winter season, as determined by each individual destination."
Cannot speak for Windham, but I seriously doubt Loon will require Ikon reservations again this season. After all, the West Basin Chair is now the brand spankin new Kanc8 monstrosity. Plenty of out of base lift capacity now (of course, once up hill, a double and a HSQ to the top will be the new choke zone)

JimG.

Staff member
I have until 9/30 to get a full refund for my K midweek pass.

I'm just going to keep it sure I'll get 15 midweek days in with or without reservations.

machski

I have until 9/30 to get a full refund for my K midweek pass.

I'm just going to keep it sure I'll get 15 midweek days in with or without reservations.
K only had parking reservations and dropped those pretty quickly for midweek days. Seriously doubt they show up for mid-week this season, would be shocked of they show up wide scale weekends. Though I can see a larger reserved parking close in for some extra $$ on weekends/holidays potentially.

JimG.

Staff member
K only had parking reservations and dropped those pretty quickly for midweek days. Seriously doubt they show up for mid-week this season, would be shocked of they show up wide scale weekends. Though I can see a larger reserved parking close in for some extra $$ on weekends/holidays potentially.
That is what I recall.