• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak 12/18/06, My First Trip Report

theguy10

Date(s) Skied: 12/18/06

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak, MA

Conditions: LSGR, Dirt(but not alot)

Trip Report:

Day 1 of the season. I took the day off just to get out and I was amazed how much I needed this. I got to the mountain with my wife around 9:45 and I pulled in behind two other cars and the lot attendant made a comment that it was his biggest rush of the day. I was in the 2nd level dirt lot, so there were maybe 75-100 cars there. It was about 45 at the base. There was a slight drizzle and we were both tired from going to a concert in Northampton the night before. My wife looked up and saw a bunch of bare trails and got back in the car and left. She said she would pick me up when I was ready to leave. I got my free pass with my Warren Miller Coupon and went up to the Berkshire Express. I waited in line for about...oh wait, that's right, its Monday...and raining...I didn't wait for the lift a single time all day. I took my first run of the season on West Way to Upper Fox. There was pretty poor coverage at the intersection of West Way and North Glade but overall the trails were way better than they looked from the parking lot and I never had to move around much to stay on snow. On West Way from North Glade to Upper Fox, the Snow was only on Rider's Right about 15-20 feet wide and this made all the beginners not so happy. It was bumped up pretty good and it was enough to cause people to line up and drop in one at a time on this ~300 ft section. North Glade was my favorite trail for the day mainly because it had some snow that was deep enough to push around. Plus, it was the most difficult trail open because of said deeper snow, so people were avoiding the bumps. Hail/Freezing Rain started around 11am and kept up till about noon. I loved every minute of it because I haven't been out since March 11th.
I did ~10 laps on the West Way side of the mountain doing all of the open trails. Then I moved over to Left Bank for a run, nothing exciting over there and having to skate on the board for the first few hundred yards of the trail is never fun so I hit West Way down to the Terrain Park for a couple runs. There were 3 guys in the park who liked watching me fall every single time I tried to hit a jump. It was fun and the snow was soft so I didn't care.

12152006164735.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of snow.

I left around 1 because I had been down every trail a few times and was getting tired and hungry.

I rode the chair with a Season Pass holder a few times who had nothing but complaints. I said that after the past couple weeks (ok more like 12 months), It is amazing how deep the snow is on this much terrain. If the snow is this good with zero real stuff, I'm looking forward to what is to come after the next few weeks of cooler temps.

Greg

Staff member
I've been waiting for a Jiminy report. Thanks! I would normally have skied there a couple of times by this point in December. I saw that aerial pic yesterday too. Pretty amazing that they have that much coverage. I hope to get out there at least once in December, maybe a late afternoon/night session. They've really stepped up their snowmaking in the past 2 or 3 seasons. They have a snowmaking ability that rivals Hunter, Killington and Crotched, at least relative to skiable terrain.

Hawkshot99

I was up there monday night, and had a great time. Really enjoyed the small bumps on upper glade, and a small area on the side of west way.