• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JIMINY PEAK: AZ Challenge 2007 Response/Feedback Thread

bvibert

Staff member
Some pretty well answered questions. Not too inspiring from a mogul stand point though... :(

Greg

Staff member
Not too inspiring from a mogul stand point though... :(

Nope.

Katie Fogel said:
Even though we have people who love moguls, we have many who wish we didn't have any, so we try to minimize the amount of trails we let moguls take over on.

What the hell is the matter with people? I thought my suggestion of letting Jericho bump up was a fair compromise. Groom the rest of the place flat as a pancake if you must. Cutter is a LAME dedicated bump trail. I've never skied good bumps on it. The 2 or 3 lines on the right of the Foxes are always better. I really wish Jiminy had a better mogul philosophy, but alas...

Greg

Staff member
Exactly, they're maximizing their profit. I can’t blame them for that. As a ski mountain/hill it is what it is.

I’m glad the Ace of Spades is open as a trail at night anyways.

Perhaps, but my proposal of letting Jericho bump up and flattening the rest of the mountain still achieves that while also providing potentially one pretty bad ass trail. It's that kind of balance that far too many ski areas miss.

Yeah - Ace is a good run. They used to let skier's left of that bump up. See what happens this year...

ts01

I agree wholeheartedly re Jericho.

It's certainly wide enough -- 1/3 on skier's right should be allowed to bump up, and 2/3 on skier's left groomed, that's still plenty wide for the high speed ripping Jericho's good for.

Especially on the top half, most people ski the left side of the trail anyway. Even if they groomed the entire bottom half, where I think it does narrow down a little, the top half is a superhighway.

And if kept a lane of bumps top to bottom, it would rival Blockbuster at Plattekill.

Even if their core market is families and intermediates -- there's plenty of good skiers in the mix and they get bored just racking up the vert.

Rant over. Hopefully Jiminy management is reading this - they should know this is definitely a factor in skier choices, I ended up taking my group to Belleayre rather than Jiminy several times late last season because Belleayre has the better bumps. And our season tix are at Belleayre this year.

Greg

Staff member
I agree wholeheartedly re Jericho.

It's certainly wide enough -- 1/3 on skier's right should be allowed to bump up, and 2/3 on skier's left groomed, that's still plenty wide for the high speed ripping Jericho's good for.

Especially on the top half, most people ski the left side of the trail anyway. Even if they groomed the entire bottom half, where I think it does narrow down a little, the top half is a superhighway.

And if kept a lane of bumps top to bottom, it would rival Blockbuster at Plattekill.

Even if their core market is families and intermediates -- there's plenty of good skiers in the mix and they get bored just racking up the vert.

Rant over. Hopefully Jiminy management is reading this - they should know this is definitely a factor in skier choices, I ended up taking my group to Belleayre rather than Jiminy several times late last season because Belleayre has the better bumps. And our season tix are at Belleayre this year.

In my sick twisted world, I'd love to see side to side bumps on Jericho. A run like that could rival K27 at Hunter, or even be like a mini-Superstar. It is labeled a "double diamond" after all. :roll: With that said, I'd be content with half groomed, half bumped. The skier's right quarter of Jericho is often times left alone as it stands now. The problem is it's only skiable when there's a fair amount of natural. Sure it gets some blow-over from the snowmaking, but it's still usually pretty thin there and will burn out by late March. When there's a dump, skier's right of Jericho is the best, especially popping in and out of the pine trees about half way down. But if the Berks do get a dump, you're better off hitting Berksihre East. Anyway, for it to be a sustainable section of bump lines, they would need to concentrate on making some snow there.