• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak Sunday, 11/18/2012

Bene288

A buddy and I debated between Jiminy and Killington. Jiminy was just closer, for early season skiing I didn't feel like traveling 2+ hours. Trails were narrow and thin. In many spots ice skates would have been a better way to get down the hill. The top of West Way was in good shape for most of the time I was there. Everything else was pretty much groomed down to concrete. Not complaining, it was nice to get out and get the legs going.

They should have made the trails a little wider. There were a fair amount of beginners that I noticed. With how fast man made snow is, a lot of people were going out of control. Didn't see anyone get too hurt.

The best part about the trip was how incredibly beautiful it was out! Perfect day to spend outside. It was a good warm up to what will hopefully be an awesome ski season!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353381648.521397.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice! What's the general consensus on Jiminy? I've never skied there. A guy I was talking to last week mentioned hire much he loved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bene288

The terrain is not very challenging, it's very crowded on the weekends, it's usually really icy.. But it's right next door to me so I can't complain too much!

Their little village is really nice and all of the buildings and bathrooms are clean. They take good care of the place. The terrain can just get a little boring. Contrary to what a lot of people say, there is some half decent tree skiing, you just need to know where to find them. No marked glades on the mountain. Mid week is obviously the best time to go just like anywhere else.

ScottySkis

Nice! What's the general consensus on Jiminy? I've never skied there. A guy I was talking to last week mentioned hire much he loved it.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
It is okay night skiing on most of the trails can be a big plus. It's great for families.

bdfreetuna

Jiminy is a close 2nd place to Berkshire East for best skiing in Mass. My opinion. Jiminy has better snowmaking and amenities, Berkshire East has better terrain.

ScottySkis

You can get a great deal for Jiminy with the Potterbrothers discount and flex program fyi.

Newpylong

Good:
Solid mountain. They make a ton of snow, their lift system is great. They have a ton of night skiing. Facilities are also excellent. If you want to get a ton of vert in this is the place (non weekend).

Bad:
The majority of the trails are directly down the fall line and are wide as hell and have little character. There are some great runs though such as Ace of Spades, the Foxes, etc. Conditions are usually pretty icy in my opinion due to traffic. They also groom the sh*t out of the place.

bdfreetuna

^^
Exactly right.

Still, because Berkshire East refuses to spend money on making snow, Jiminy Peak often takes 1st place for best place to ski in Mass at any given moment.

Shame the B-East prefers not to invest, as a good day at that mountain can be better than going to some places in VT.