• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just checked road status

Mike P.

Update to roads & my .02 just checked the site & while the Ammo parking is still closed & Jefferson Notch Road is marked closed, the Mt. Clinton Auto Road is open, along with Dugway Rd. & Hurricane Mountain Road. While the later two do not provide access to 4k peaks they do provide access to some trips with great views. Hurricane Mt. Road typically opens later in a high snow year.

I'd guess the other roads may open early too providing they don't get a lot of rain. Most I would guess are closed due to holes or mud, not snow.

Mike P.

Checked last night & Sawyer River Road was marked as being opened too!

MtnMagic

Yes Mike finally. Time for Carrigain again! Drove by it Saturday and saw the gate open. Why Zealand and a few more are not is a puzzle as it hasn't rained in months. Tomorrow and Wednesday should change that.

Mike P.

I think it has to do with the surrounding area & soil, Sawyer River Road is on the side of the hill while Haystack & Zealand in places are in flat areas & near swampy areas. (soil does not dry out well so road either is soft or in Zealands case would break apart some, also why they don't open Ammo parking lot sooner).

Same could be said for the places along the Gale River & Garfield loop but since the town's water suplly is up there, they have more say on that & need it open sooner.

Guesses based on what I've read some others & my .02. I'm no geologist or DOT worker.