• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just Unliked all the ski areas on my Facebook

crank

I found it annoying to have to scroll past countless reminders of events that I have no interest in. Actually I found the constant posts annoying even in the heart of ski season. To all you ski area social marketers, I know where you are and I know when you have good snow. I don't expect that to stop your love affair with social marketing but maybe you could slow down just a bit... yeah right. OK, I feel better now.

dlague

I found it annoying to have to scroll past countless reminders of events that I have no interest in. Actually I found the constant posts annoying even in the heart of ski season. To all you ski area social marketers, I know where you are and I know when you have good snow. I don't expect that to stop your love affair with social marketing but maybe you could slow down just a bit... yeah right. OK, I feel better now.

That is extreme - all you have to do is create groups under Interests like I have VT Skiing, NH Skiing etc. and then mouse over the Like button and add to Interests and uncheck "Show on news feed". This way you can still check out their posts from time to time.

I am also confused - not one Like that I have ever post something I am interested in all the time. I hate beaches in the Winter but will not unlike surfing companies because of that.

And as far as ski areas posting about snow - well around this time of year it is more for those who want to hike for it! Operationally it does not make sense to open for a foot or two of snow that would be skied off quickly and may introduce liabilities due hidden obstructions under the snow! Personally I love to see those posts!

To each their own!

AdironRider

Cool story Hansel.

You realize most people aren't picking up magazines or listening to local radio from VT or wherever hills, how do you expect to find out about anything these days? Its called marketing, get over it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What got me is the ski areas, you know who you are, that were recently bragging about all the snow they got, yet they were closed.

I'm not sure I view Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush and Whiteface posting comments and photos about last weekend's snowstorm as bragging. I mean, I and a huge majority of my skiing friends posted comments about perhaps the biggest Memorial Day weekend snowstorm in the Notheast US's history as well, so would those comments be considered "bragging" too? I view the comments made by those businesses as having people in marketing that get just as excited about such a freak event as you or I.

Regarding the OP's original topic, to each their own, but the ski resorts and other businesses I have chosen to "like" on Facebook that post comments everyday that hit my feed don't bother me much. In fact I welcome them. It's not because I necessarily value what they're either talking about or some deal they're offering, I just view it as a reprieve from the dozens and dozens of other Facebook posts concerning people's kids that I receive daily in my feed from friends and family. :lol:

No offense to my AZ buddies / FB friends who talk about their kids frequently on Facebook. I'm sure when my wife and I eventually multiply, we'll catch the googoogaagaa soccer mom Facebook bug too. :lol:

twinplanx

I'm not sure I view Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush and Whiteface posting comments and photos about last weekend's snowstorm as bragging. I mean, I and a huge majority of my skiing friends posted comments about perhaps the biggest Memorial Day weekend snowstorm in the Notheast US's history as well, so would those comments be considered "bragging" too? I view the comments made by those businesses as having people in marketing that get just as excited about such a freak event as you or I.

Regarding the OP's original topic, to each their own, but the ski resorts and other businesses I have chosen to "like" on Facebook that post comments everyday that hit my feed don't bother me much. In fact I welcome them. It's not because I necessarily value what they're either talking about or some deal they're offering, I just view it as a reprieve from the dozens and dozens of other Facebook posts concerning people's kids that I receive daily in my feed from friends and family. :lol:

No offense to my AZ buddies / FB friends who talk about their kids frequently on Facebook. I'm sure when my wife and I eventually multiply, we'll catch the googoogaagaa soccer mom Facebook bug too. :lol:
this. I have a few friends that are too cool for FB yet use email constantly. Get over your self's. Snow is good :)

abc

I still don't get the whole Facebook thing anyway....
I do. Even though I don't have a FB account myself! ;-)

Some people disconnected their land phone because they got enough minutes on their cell anyway (and use internet for communication insterad of phone).

Other people disconnected their TV because they can don't have time to watch the occasional program on air. Besides, a lot of them can be streamed anyway.

I still have land phone and TV. It's part of the package to get my internet connectivity. It's cheaper to have all 3 than just 1! I even watch TV from time to time. But I rarely use my land phone, period.

I view facebook the same way as TV or phone. Just because it's free doesn't mean I actually use it. As such, I don't have a FB account.

FB is more like the radio and TV of the old days. It bombards you with sounds and sights, whether it's relevant to you or not. But plenty of people like that, random inputs from outside sources. I just prefer to get the information when I want them by going to the website of places I'm interested in visiting, rather than having them blast me with random bits I have no interest on. Summer concert on ski hills is one such example of what 90% of skiers don't want to get blasted.

That is extreme - all you have to do is create groups under Interests like I have VT Skiing, NH Skiing etc. and then mouse over the Like button and add to Interests and uncheck "Show on news feed". This way you can still check out their posts from time to time.
"Unlike" sends the message to the ski hills that they need to do a better job of what information they send out.

Last edited:

bobbutts

One thing about FB that people don't mention much is that a membership is kind of equivalent to a listing in the white pages 20-30 years ago. It allows interested parties to locate and contact you. Engaging with your feed and doing things that many consider wasting time is an optional but hard for many to avoid. Unless a person desires anonymity, or lacks the self-control to use the site on their own terms, there is a fairly strong argument to at least have an account.

dlague

abc

One thing about FB that people don't mention much is that a membership is kind of equivalent to a listing in the white pages 20-30 years ago. It allows interested parties to locate and contact you.
I'm old enough to remember those days. I don't think I EVER got a call/mail from a stranger via the white page.

There were times when one doesn't bother to "exchange" phone number or address but say "I'm on the phone book". However, it doesn't work for those of us who have unusual last names. No one can find us unless they can spell our last name correctly! So it's easier to just write down our phone number than write down how our last name are spelled.

Unless a person desires anonymity
You'll be surprised on how many are so desired.

darent

I compare Facebook to a STD, IT just keeps spreading. now I get friend request from friends friends six times removed

o3jeff

I usually just scroll past the posts I don't care to read, doesn't take my finger much effort to do that.

dlague

"Unlike" sends the message to the ski hills that they need to do a better job of what information they send out.

Not exactly since the original poster basically did not want to see non sking stuff or posts regarding snow that he could not ski on. Like deadheadskier said the resorts get just as excited as we do about seeing a late season storm that puked snow - why shouldn't they mention it. Likewise, most resort pretty much stop talking about skiing for now and focus on summer activities. I think their marketing shifts to their new market of the next 3-4 months and you can't chastise them for that!

Then agian unliking basically helps miss those winter deals pitched in the summer (though they are few and far between).

crank

glad you guys are having fun here. I didn't so much mind the posts in the winter telling me about dumps...although it can be tortuous when you can't go. Posts about the recent spring snow storm don;t bother me either. It's all the off season marketing. The ropes courses, the crappy concerts, the hiking, the weddings....and so on and so forth. Some resorts are relentless with that stuff posting every day or multiple times a day (you know who you are) if it's less often I don't really mind.