• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K-Mart (aka Killington) 1/25/14

Kleetus

Date(s) Skied: 1/25

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Mostly PP man-made in the morning. Boilerplate and piles of snow as the afternoon wore on.

Weather: Very windy (but no wind holds), cold, and snowy (although it didn't add up to much). I take issue with their snow report for today (Sunday) claiming they got 10 inches, but more on that below.

Trip Report:

Pulled into the Skyeship base around 8AM and after redeeming my Ski VT voucher was on the lift around 8:30. Started the day skiing Skye peak and lapping the Superstar Quad. Superstar was pretty icy, so moved over to Ovation and Skyelark which both skied extremely well. Skyelark had very little if any ice and Ovation had great snow on the far skiers left from snowmaking during the week, the center was all ice (as usual). Moved over to the Canyon area and took some laps on East Fall and Cascade which both had great snow on the sides of the trail and not too much ice in the center. After freezing on the Canyon Quad for a few runs due to the wind moved over to Snowdon and took a few runs down Chute and Mouse Trap/Bunny Buster/Mouse Run before heading into the lodge for a quick warmup.

In the afternoon I hit up Bear and Skye Peak again. In retrospect I should have stayed on the Killington side as pretty much everything over there was either skied off, really skied off, or just a sheet of ice. Outer Limits was completely groomed, which was expected, and was for all intensive purposes nothing but somewhat edgeable ice with boilerplate in-between. There was some snow on the far edges but very little compared to the other trails. Vertigo was even worse as there was literally nothing but boilerplate on the headwall but luckily that headwall is pretty short. I ended the day back over on Ovation and Skyelark which had been skiied off quite heavily before taking the long run back to the Skyeship base and departing for the Long Trail Brewery around 3 PM.

Overall was a good day of skiing considering the lack of snow the past week and ongoing recovery from the thaw. Killington did a great job with the snowmaking as everything was skiing nicely in the morning, unfortunately as is usually the case everything got skiied off pretty heavily by the time the afternoon rolled around. Crowds were very light until around noon, at which point it got pretty busy everywhere but I never waited more than 10-15 minutes for a chair even at the K1. There were signs all over the place saying the Stage II Skyeship had really long lines all day but I never saw them when I was skiing Needles Eye so not really sure if they diminished when I was there or what.

This morning I checked the snow report just to see how much they picked up expecting to see somewhere between 3-5 inches of new snow. When I saw 10 I was shocked. The entire time I was at the mountain it snowed maybe 2-3 inches and my car had only about 1/2 inch of fluff on it when I left around 3 PM. When I left the Long Trail Brewery which is about 5 miles down the road from the Skyeship Base at 6 PM after meeting a friend my car had about another 1/2 inch of fluff. I find it highly unlikely they picked up 10 inches of snow given the fact the snow was supposed to end around midnight and around 2:30 PM yesterday they only had 2-3 inches up top. I'm not saying it's not possible as anything is possible, but I am highly skeptical of that number given the fact most of the snow occurred during the day yesterday and they hadn't really picked up all that much. If anybody on here happens to be at Killington today I am curious to see if that is truly what they got.

slatham

Yes someone please confirm/deny this. Sugarbush=4-5", Okemo 5", Bromley 6". And the K got 10"? Skeptical to say the least.....

powhunter

They have been pretty good reporting this year...With the wind that shit was all over the place....Going up mon and tues to verify the alledged 10"

Steveo

moguler6

They got it. Super light and blew around so you had to know where to look. The Canyon yesterday from 2-4 was going off and the first hour today was outstanding. Also super COLD! Lots of wind holds this morning.

powhunter

Picked up about 4-5 today..skiing was real good...Gondi. was on wind hold for a while and the NRT never ran because of the wind..Downdraft..Northstar..vagabond...cascade...were good. Even hit the jug..and jug handle on the SR..Some moguls on wildfire..but nothing great..Thought about poaching the bump course on highline ...Great Day at the K

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

gladerider

Thinking about hitting up Kmart this Saturday. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk