• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

killingto 5/26/13

chuckstah

Made it to Killington by 9 am for what turned out to be a great late season day. Had to park in the main K1 parking lot as the usual road spots were blocked off for the stage race. Booted up and on the chair by 915 or so.
First run of the day I chose to hike the 50 or so feet of the headwall and ski Superstar top to bottom. The headwall to the bottom of middle supe were great, a nice mix of the firm base and the several inches of fresh snowfall. It got a little more interesting here as you are now skiing on just the few inches of fresh. It was quite skiable all the way to the base where you then had to remove your skis and walk To the lift.
Next run I decided to try Nivus walk to Launch pad. This provided nice adventure skiing through 6 or 8 inches of fresh with drifts much deeper. Hit this route 5 times providing nice top to bottom runs.
After a quick stop at the umbrella bar while the lift was down for maintenance it was time for middle Ovation. By now it was not snowing much and getting warmer out. the cover was starting to go quick.
Ovation far skiers left skied good, with an occasional turn being made on wet grass. Run of the day!
The afternoon was a combo of 1 or 2 runs broken up by breaks at the car and umbrella bar. Great last day of the season.

The Future

Website
www.snowboardprogression.com
Made it to Killington by 9 am for what turned out to be a great late season day. Had to park in the main K1 parking lot as the usual road spots were blocked off for the stage race. Booted up and on the chair by 915 or so.
First run of the day I chose to hike the 50 or so feet of the headwall and ski Superstar top to bottom. The headwall to the bottom of middle supe were great, a nice mix of the firm base and the several inches of fresh snowfall. It got a little more interesting here as you are now skiing on just the few inches of fresh. It was quite skiable all the way to the base where you then had to remove your skis and walk To the lift.
Next run I decided to try Nivus walk to Launch pad. This provided nice adventure skiing through 6 or 8 inches of fresh with drifts much deeper. Hit this route 5 times providing nice top to bottom runs.
After a quick stop at the umbrella bar while the lift was down for maintenance it was time for middle Ovation. By now it was not snowing much and getting warmer out. the cover was starting to go quick.
Ovation far skiers left skied good, with an occasional turn being made on wet grass. Run of the day!
The afternoon was a combo of 1 or 2 runs broken up by breaks at the car and umbrella bar. Great last day of the season.

Sounds like a good time besides the walking!

So I take it the report of 13 inches wasn't entirely true??

chuckstah

13 inches may be about right for the summit as this was a very elevation dependent storm. There were certainly drifts much deeper than that on Launch Pad near the entrance to Ovation. Some skiers I spoke with who hiked to ski the Glades area reported deeper snow. I will post some pictures later if I can figure out how as I am new to this forum!

Sounds like a good time besides the walking!

So I take it the report of 13 inches wasn't entirely true??

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, I almost pulled the trigger Sunday morning. Spent a lot of time on the Superstar cam, looked like a much better turnout than Saturday, kudos. Some trails are quite skiable with no base, Plunge at Plattekill, for instance. Pretty grassy, not too rocky.

You can post pics right from your phone, or computer, now. Click the little picture icon on the right side of the toolbar, next to the one that looks like a strip of film. You used to have to put them in your gallery, or link to a host site, you no longer do. Easier from a computer, my phone seems to like to stick them in the body of my post, I end up cutting and pasting to move them where I want them.

Welcome to the forum!