• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Feb 28/29 2004 - Leap Day Learn to Ski

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Date(s) Skied:
Friday - Saturday, Feb 28 - 29, 2004

Resort or Ski Area:
Killington (Killington, VT)

Conditions:
Packed Powder, scattered wind-driven ice patches, some packed wet mush late day on Sunday. Sunny, beautiful, 20's on Saturday. Sunday had clouds and wind but warmer air temps.

Trip Report:
Finally, it was my chance to learn alpine skiing. Given my cross-country background, I scheduled a private lesson on Saturday so we could skip over the starting basics and go right to things like turning, and that's what my excellent instructor Brad did. We took a few rides on a smooth, easy Poma and got my balance and turning going, then it was up the Snowshed quad and down the entire learn-to-ski length from there via Killington Base.

By the time my lesson was done, I was running Yodeler and Snowshed, and proceeded to just do that over and over and over. It was a great morning. After meeting up with my friends for lunch, we decided to try a green everyone could enjoy and got on the gondola. After the first hairpin of Great Northern I was nervous (steep drop off the right-hand side) and tired (the morning had worn me out). So when we hit a stretch that the wind had blown bare to the ice, I had to be coaxed a bit as to how to "switchback" it, which turned out quite easy. But then, where the trail crosses under the gondola it's definitely not a family green anymore, there was a nasty injury right in front of us, and my worn legs had lost their confidence. Had we known that just turning the other way would have helped, we would have, but in fact I climbed back up to the gondola (completing the destruction of my calves), and rode down, finishing with an easy slide down from Base to Snowshed.

Would High Traverse or Great Eastern been better? How about using Home Run to get to Great Northern instead of the "straight" route across Cascade?

Sunday I met up with Tim, also excellent but a much different experience since now it wasn't about learning to use the skis so much as stopping my already-acquired bad habits. We immediately did a run of Snow Shed, and suddenly I was turning in the confines of the towers of the two double lifts. Stay upright, unclench the toes, stay upright, complete turns, stay upright, lean forward, and stay upright. He got me down North Brook twice, and after my lesson had me tradeup from 130's to 150's. I again met up with my friends (most of whom were off enjoying Superstar but one of which was also a beginner this year), and we ran North Brook quite a number of times. No lift line on the quad, nobody on the run, our own short but private practice area. Then back on Yodeler and Snow Shed up to lunch, and a few more times after lunch.

My calves are killing me, and my quads are none too happy. I am thoroughly addicted, can't wait to go again, and am kicking myself because it costs so much money. :D

The Garlic was an incredible dinner spot. From the roasted head of garlic with fresh-baked bread and olive oil to start the meal, right through to the pyramid-shaped chocolate mousse with caramel mousse centers. Mmmmm.

And of course, Long Trail Hibernator everywhere.

Wheeeee!!!!!!!

Greg

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
I am thoroughly addicted, can't wait to go again, and am kicking myself because it costs so much money. :D
Welcome to the wonderful world of alpine skiing, Michael! Take a look at this thread for ways to save money:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=529

As spring approaches other deals may pop up as well!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Cool - thanks! Yeah, I'm hoping I can get some cheap spring midweek specials while the conditions are still good enough. I may even blow off hiking for skiing in a couple weeks at the Wonalancet VFTT Gathering. :D