• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Has Worst Season On Record!

mondeo

This Accuweather prediction turned out to be amazingly accurate. This mapped predicted a bad year for Killington. Did you guys listen no. You still purchased your season passes for Killington.

The snow conditions in the Catskills was the best I can remember in 20 years. The 5 foot snow storm wasn't bad either.

My sister in-law lives in Western part of Virginia. They got hammered with snow this year. Her kids had no school 2 weeks and they had to add 5 days to the end of the school year because of too many snow days.

Many of the other weather predictions this years were way wrong. Who ever made this Accu Weather season map for 2009 - 2010 should get a raise.

largewinter09-10.jpg
That map predicts a good year for Killington - average snow, and cold. The less snow zone isn't even close.

AdironRider

Since when does average mean good? I bet you think last place deserves a trophy as well.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Since when does average mean good? I bet you think last place deserves a trophy as well.
You have to evaluate the map based on the criteria used by the person putting the labels on the map. Based on how they make those maps, it seems like they point out "less snowy" i.e. bad (which this season was for northern New England). Average seems to be the places that are not highlighted. By looking at this map before the season, it seems like average snow and below average cold was predicted. In fact, we had average cold and below average snow.

My definition of average is a lot higher than most people's definition of average and involves over a dozen good powder days. This season was definitely below average in my book for my favorite areas. That said, everyone has a different personal connotation of what the word average means. My average is some skier's best year.

The map was totally right for MASH and the coast but really wrong for many interior areas.

AdironRider

You guys realize my comment was pretty tongue in cheek right?

Cold on the east coast usually leads to icy conditions due to the humidity, high moisture content manmade snow, and previous NCP events, which always occur. I doubt this season was any different in that there was never a thaw. Maybe it wasnt as bad as 06-07, that was a thaw, but it still comes every year like clockwork. Really cold weather is actually not that great for snow quality. When high pressure settles into the valley here in Jackson, it means extended periods of frigid temps (think -10 or so average in the valley, warmer up high, inversions here are nuts) and no new snow for weeks on end. The snow turns to crap, usually skied off hardpack.

When low pressure rolls in the temps warm up into the high teens and low 20's, and the dumps come. Cold can be a bad thing.

Philpug

Well teh 2010-11 Season Pass say they will be open *year round!!!!

*conditions permitting.

skiadikt

Well teh 2010-11 Season Pass say they will be open *year round!!!!

*conditions permitting.

after this season's fail, it's poor form to use the "early may" hook in advertising their season passes for next year. just say nothing. they have no credibilty and yeah even with the "conditions permitting" caveat, it borders on false advertising.