• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, Opening Day 11/23/06

thebigo

Resort: Killington

Dates Skied: 11/23/06

Conditions: variable manmade

I was at killington yesterday. We were the second group in the line but ended up with the third gondi after the stampede.

The only place you felt crowded was on lower bunny buster. The only lift with a line was the K1 and that was no more than a couple gondolas at any point all morning.

Downdraft headwall was sweet for early season but as we got closer to noon it got really slick. People including kids were going down it that didnt belong there. They had two parks in the glades area that didnt appear to be getting much use. Rime was good all day, upper east fall started to get some really irregular bumps by midmorning that made for a good workout. All of snowdon held up really well throughout the day but the best time was had on mouse trap. The skiers right of mouse trap was sweet, the snow was soft and a good bump line formed.

Last time I was up there they had signifigantly more snow in the glades. Depths may have been 2 - 3' yesterday, when i hiked up in the beginning of november there were spots that were over 10' deep. Overall it was a great day to get the season underway. Considering the weather we have had recently, they offered an excellent product. Crowding was minimal and the surface held up.

Only took about a half dozen pics yesterday:

The carnage on lower bunny buster around noon. After this run we decided to call it a day. This really isnt indicative of the mountain as a whole but everything funnels down here.
100_1119.jpg

This pic from the glades is more indicative of the crowds.
100_1108.jpg

My old lady in action, think this was taken on chute.
100_1102.jpg